Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel or Sestriere for family New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had half my eye on a New Year ski trip for ages, really limited by dates so no choice of week. I've been holding off booking, wanting to get last minute trip with clear idea of snow. But I keep stressing about it and have found a gorgeous chalet near Rond Pont (significant for ESF for kids in this case, rather than apres), I've got good flights lined up to Chambery, well priced transfer...but but but I am wobbling big time over taking kids to 3V at such a busy time of year.
Last year we did Xmas in La Rosiere and previous year Easter in Bansko. Both super quiet, really chilled for kids and hardly any queues. Children will be 9, 7 and 5 this trip. Main concern is boring waiting, and safety on pistes for them.

Have also got a great deal on a trip to Sestriere but am concerned about snow there.

Any thoughts please? Am open to booking the flights and then maybe going to a smaller resort but struggling to find somewhere that ticks boxes for snow confidence.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't worry too much about lift queues and busy slopes in Meribel. I'd say the worst culprits for queues are the few iconic slopes that everyone wants to do but other than that there's so much space that it's usually quite easy to find some really nice skiing away from the crowds. There are a few pinch points that get busy at the end of the day but they're usually not dangerous and the learner slopes are typically quite quiet as well.

I haven't been there at New Year so someone else might be able to add some more details but personally I wouldn't be too worried about it.

PS. Welcome to Snowheads Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@susieq78, New Year is busy but not as busy as February half term. If the kids are in morning ski school, they will have priority at the lifts so queuing is not a problem. In the afternoon, people start crying off from 2-3pm because of fatigue, cold etc. so the slopes get quieter pretty quickly. That side of Meribel tends to be quieter in the mornings because it catches the sun later so crowding is not really an issue. If you want softer snow early on, go over the top to Courchevel or down to Meribel Villages. In the afternoons, your side of Meribel is better because Courchevel will be in shadow.

Being at the Rond Point means you can get out without going into the main Chaudanne area which is where the queues will be first thing. The Adret chair below you won't have any queues and gives access to the Altiport nursery slopes and the Meribel/Courchevel links. As you've stated, the ESF also has a meeting point there. Pretty good place to be! The large Rond Point bar/terrace is also an easy meeting/lunch/après place for the family to gather.

I am of course biased but the overall lift system in the 3V's is outstanding, best in the world. Yes, the slopes will be busier than Sestriere, Bansko etc. but that's because it's in a completely different class. Regarding snow cover, I believe the 3V's now has more artificial snow making capacity than anywhere else in the world and a guarantee that more slopes will be open than anywhere else in any given week of the season.

Being objective, it ultimately depends on how much skiing you intend to do and what your family's ski level is. You get the most out of the 3V's if you enjoy exploring, covering distance, going somewhere different every day/morning/afternoon. Not sure how feasible that is with a 5 year old but maybe you split up or have nanny care? If you only ski for 2-3 hours/day and prefer doing "circuits" round slopes you already know, you may be more relaxed somewhere quieter. But if that's your decision this time, make sure you come back when the kids are older!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks so much for your replies. I’ve lurked snowheads for years, love all the knowledge.
Husband and I are pretty keen boarders and the 7 and 9 yo can keep up with us now. We love the bigger terrain - la Ros felt limited even with the older two kids in tow. We have grandparents on hand to amuse littlest.
Think we might be going to Meribel after massive wobble this morning - thanks again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ps have been to 3V 3 times in past so need no convincing about the different league of terrain....just have awful memories of overcrowded Chaudanne and that was pre-kids and school hols (those were the days)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@susieq78, the two biggest lifts out of the Chaudanne (Saulire and Tougnete) have both been upgraded in the last 5 years as well as Platieres out of Mottaret and Tougnete 2 is now a 6 man chair. Also St Martin 2 chair for getting home is now a fast 6 man. These were the traditional bottlenecks. Tougnete 2 still is a bit but there are ways to avoid it. Even at its worst, it's only 5-8 mins queue though.

For getting home, the Rhodos lift out of the Chaudanne stays open 30 mins later than all the others and takes you direct to the Rond Point. It's a big bonus if you're coming back from VT etc. or just want to extend your day to the max by doing circuits.

It sounds like you have all the things in place to make the most of Meribel and the 3V's so I wish you a very Happy New Year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy