Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine Avoriaz link

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick question. Spending the new year week in Avoriaz but keen to ski over in the Morzine sector of PdS. How easy is it to get across? Looks like the Super Morzine gondola drops you over one side of Morzine but the Pleney lift etc is on the other. Is it a case of getting a shuttle bus between the two or is there an easier way?
Ta
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe a small roadtrain, they use one across Les Gets from one side of village to the other for lift connect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as ski3 says - a little train takes you across the village (but it isn't a long walk)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@midlifecrisis, it’s a brief enough walk.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't use the Les Gets one either...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, +1
in both cases its quicker to walk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As others have said there's a small train that goes from one to the other but it's only a 5 minute walk.

However just to add a little extra into the mix.... I see that you are looking at spending New Years Week in Avoriaz. The last couple of years the Super Morzine link hasnt been open at that time due to lack of snow so if thats the case again (hopefully not) you'd need to get the Prodains lift down and then the bus (which will take about 15 minutes)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the Super Morzine link is closed due to lack of snow, then I doubt you'll want to go across to Morzine anyway. They've also put in extra snow making facilities this summer, to help keep the link open at the start/end of season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@midlifecrisis are you on 1 plank or 2?

The Avoriaz/Morzine link isn't the most exciting piece of skiing known to man and, especially going Morzine->Avoriaz, rather flat so not great for boarders. Given that, rather than skiing it you might prefer to ski down from Avoriaz to the bottom of the Prodains gondola and catch the free bus that has a stop right outside the Pleney lift.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or if there's powder, go off the back of the Fornet, and down the Vallée de la Manche, then get the bus.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, I’m not sure I’d blithely suggest an off piste itinerary to some random individual... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree, especially as if you go too far to one side you go under an area that often avalanches and too far the other side you end up stuck behind some farmers fields. Plus the chances of their being enough snow all the way down to Erigne at New Year is low and the bus only runs once an hour so if you miss it you're in for a long wait.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would second the suggestion of taking the run down from Avoriaz to Prodains and catching the bus to Pleney. The walk across from Super Morzine to Pleney whilst it may be short it might be a pain in boots and carrying skis. The run down from Avoriaz to Prodains from what I can recall was a nice run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, nice run and usually no one on it due to the majority of skiers have some in-built aversion to taking their skis off and having to carry them 20 steps to get on the gondola back up.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@midlifecrisis, what @alangibson73, says makes some sense. Skiing across to Super Morzine and down loading super Morzine is ok, however........

Crot is the blue run down from Avoriaz to Prodains. It's a blue run and 'normally' during the 1st half of the day is a nice run and early in the morning can be a great run. It's not an easy blue and late in the day can be hard when chopped up with lots of tired skiers and boarders on it.

Another way to Prodains and to make it interesting is take the Lac Intrets chair out of Avoriaz up the Arare area and ski the Black Coupe du Monde for a warm up run that then feeds into the Blue Crot and make it down to Prodains where the Navette letter 'A' stops outside Prodains express telecabin.

Jump on the free Navette and it drops you 2 min walk from Plenny Bubble where you can access the Morzine and Les Gets slopes.

Also I'd recommend going the other way when your out in the PdS and get over Chaux Fleurie lift to Chatel sector and Ski pre la joux and Linga area of Chatel.

Also in Avoriaz area, take Mossette chair to drop into the swiss side of the PdS which is often quieter that the French side. If the snow is good at New Year, the piste's around Champossin are normally quiet but don't tell too many people.

Have a great trip
Very Happy
snow conditions
midlifecrisis wrote:
Just a quick question. Spending the new year week in Avoriaz but keen to ski over in the Morzine sector of PdS. How easy is it to get across?

It's a PITA... a long walk or hang around for that poxy kiddie-train

If only they would build a traversing lift from one side to the other it would radically improve both the town and the PdS in general. Something like the Arabba Fly is what's needed
snow report
There's plans for a tunnel to be built from the bottom of the Pleney lift to a new lift station overlooking the supermarket carpark and then up to Avoriaz. The tunnel’s moving walkway will transport skiers and snowboarders to the new €45m Express Morzine-Avoriaz lift. This new high speed lift will run through the Ardoisières valley to the bottom of Prodains.

Not sure it'll ever get off the ground though wink
snow conditions
@no_snow_in_swindon, my understanding was that this was conditional on Annecy being granted the 2016 Olympics.

Which I guess is unlikely now.

(Not sure your geography correct either, but somewhat moot)
latest report
@under a new name,

Thought the plans only came out earlier this year. (Forgive me if this is just updated news)

Looking on Google there's lots of info from a meeting that was held in April.

http://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/a-new-lift-for-morzine-avoriaz/
snow conditions
@midlifecrisis, I’m biased, but personally I wouldn’t bother going down to Morzine. I doubt there will be slow that low down when you go. Stay over the other side (Swiss side) and keep above the snow line.
snow report
Thanks folks for all the info. I’ve skied PdS several times though always stayed in Ardent previously. Done most of the PdS over the years but never previously bothered to ski the Morzine sector as it seemed a bit of a pain to access (plenty of decent skiing around Avoriaz/Chatel and the Swiss sectors kept me busy). Only thinking of heading over to Morzine as this might be my last trip to the PdS.
I take the point that snow cover might not be great that low but have all fingers crossed.
Cheers everyone
latest report
@midlifecrisis, if the snow is good and your a half decent skier then hit up Mt Cherry on the other side of Les Gets. Normally very quiet with the best views in the PdS if the visibility is good. Cranky old lifts on Mt Cherry but brilliant pistes. (Reds and blacks)
latest report
Agree that if the snow is good enough you are missing a trick by not spending some time in Morzine / Les Gets. Well worth the hassle of getting the train. It's all downhill on the way back so much easier to walk.
snow report
@midlifecrisis,
If the snow is there for New Year week then Mont Chery is also likely to be the quietest part of the PDS. Last year Morzine-Les Gets had a very poor start to the season with not much snow and very little open until about the 10th January. There is also a local bus service from Morzine to Les Gets (not free but cheap)which stops right by the Mont Chery lift.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
It's a PITA... a long walk or hang around for that poxy kiddie-train

We must go to different Morzine's. It's a 6min/550m walk between the Super Morzine and Pleney lift stations.
ski holidays
While it's a relatively short walk - I must admit that doing it wearing ski boots and carrying ski's I didn't find it much fun at all either (awaits shouts of 'Man up!!'). Consequently I've only done it once, and while I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it, I'd favour either the little train or buses from Prodain or Ardent.
ski holidays
Dont knock the petit train! Yes its cheesy but it takes a walk off tired legs... Another vote for Les Gets / Mont Cherry if the snow is good. I spent a powder day over there a few seasons back and reckon I only saw 10 other skiers at the most.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy