Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl mid December?

Poster: A snowHead
Have booked flights to fly into Innsbruck for a long weekend in mid December.

Have not booked any accommodation yet. We are tempted to go to Ischgl. They are only showing 10-30cm of snow after the weekend snowfall. We have not been to Ischgl before and am wondering how good is their snow-making facilities?

Any other tips on Ischgl would be appreciated.

Thank you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl‘s snow making facilities are some of the best in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think they're claiming 35cm from the last storm, but the ski area was looking in fairly good shape before it anyway: https://www.facebook.com/ischgl.paznaun/videos/10156117488220649/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They are not "only showing 10-30 cm of snow"
They are already showing 10-30 cm of snow
Please, it is 6 November!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The webcams for Idalp make very good viewing today so I wouldn't worry about the snow too much.
Have you been before??? have you looked at accommodation?..I go 2-3 times a season, it's the best.
And yes the snowmaking is excellent...but it bodes well for the real stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowy123, Perfect choice for an early season trip

The resort can be tainted by stag parties etc later in high season but you'll be OK pre-Crimbo
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wish I could go to Ischgl again, early season there was as good as it gets.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

@dazman, no I haven't been before. Thinking of Hotel Tirol as it is right next to the Silvrettabahn, I believe? And the Silvrettabahn will take us to Idalp, which I understand is the main area for skiing during early season? Any other hotel recommendation? and any other tips? Hubby and son are good skiers but I can get a bit nervous. Any runs to avoid? Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's only 1 ski area directly accessible from Ischgl and it really doesn't matter which of the 3 gondolas you use to get there - though personally the Silvrettabahn would be my 3rd choice. The basic layout of Ischgl is 1 gondola in the middle of town and 2 in the east of town. Most people just stop at the first gondola they come to, so the SB get most of the traffic from the west side of town. Personally I'd go for somewhere between the SB and PB (Pardatschgratbahn), ideally on the south side as you're slightly back from/above the main road and have a good chance of one of the home run exists being just a short walk from your hotel - https://www.ischgl.com/en/booking/online-booking/karte?towns[]=402&randSeed=NaN

If you're nervous the only thing I'd say is get the gondola down at the end of the day. The home run isn't especially difficult and I'd recommend you do it earlier in the day as it's not a bad run in its self. It's not a friend to end of day tired legs and can get quite cut up so a case of avoiding the bodies and detached skis that cover it. Lower down near town you can get freeze/thaw depending on temps. and so it can get quite icy. Not steep to OK in it's self but some of the tired people falling all over the upper part will be ahead of you...and falling all over these parts too. If you do ski the home run (and you've got snow rather than ice) I'd also recommend you take the black options where they are available. They aren't especially dark blacks and much less used/crowded than the equivalent red loop, so often actually easier to ski than the red.

You say "Hubby and son". How old's your son, as that might influence some recommendations Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, thanks for the detailed comment and explanation of Ischgl.

As we are going so early in the season, SB might be ok and not too busy? We were expecting to download every day anyway, since it is so early in the season (13th - 17th Dec) and were told that chances are we won't be able to ski back to the hotel?

Thanks for the blacks are less used than reds tip! I get nervous on blacks (in the head). As long as I don't know it is a black, I can ski down but the moment I know it is a black, I panic! LOL.

Son is 15 (acting like he is 18 though). Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/nMqUaVkBlaU
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowy123 wrote:

As we are going so early in the season, SB might be ok and not too busy? We were expecting to download every day anyway, since it is so early in the season (13th - 17th Dec) and were told that chances are we won't be able to ski back to the hotel?

I would definitely expect to be able to ski back down to town then (though may well be the case that not all the variants are open)! Actually the best condition I've ever skied the home run was opening day last year (also 23 Nov I think). Pre-Christmas it probably won't be too bad, but in main season between 2-4pm it can be utter carnage. The problem isn't the piste, but the people on it; I generally find red 7 a much more enjoyable ski down than the main red 1 piste (which is what most mean by home run).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The runs down to Ischgl can be very unpleasant for nervous skiers.
Ischgl is indeed a great choice in early season, when elsewhere conditions are poor.
But still you can leave it to last minute. All of Austria will have plenty of availability 13-17 december.
Should winter start as it should start, (and it currently looks good) and other resorts have good snow too, other resorts might suit the nervous skier better. Including a nice run home in the afternoon, instead of downloading...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, thanks for the video. Condition looking good!

@clarky999, thanks for the tip. I agree, it is often the people. Where does Red 7 take one back to?

@Langerzug, I don't mind steep as long as it is wide but I hate narrow pistes. Is that the case in the run down to Ischgl? I am a bit nervous leaving the hotel booking to last minute because we need a room for the Sat 16th. A couple of the hotels I emailed didn't have a room as they claim they are booked from 16th onwards (or hoping to get bookings?). Also, it is sometimes hard to find a room that sleeps 3. Which other resorts you might recommend for a nervous skier, ideally within 2 hours transfer from Innsbruck?

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate all the advice so far.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowy123, 7 joins 1 again just before the last pitch, but avoids most of the carnage. Both of them are plenty wide, just they get very crowded, and often with people who continue to ski recklessly despite the crowds. The rest of the skiing is excellent though.
snow report
Out of interest how do you plan on getting to Ischgl from Innsbruck ? I've just booked some flights for February and the transfers seem quite expensive.
snow conditions
Snowy123 wrote:
As we are going so early in the season, SB might be ok and not too busy?

True - and even peak time/peak season the queue moves steadily. One to note if there is a queue when you get there, walk east past it along the main road and you'll come to Dorftunnel which takes you on travellators through the hill in the middle of town and pops you out at the FB (Fimbabahn) gondola station. There's a lift that comes down in the middle if you end up staying/skiing back to the edge of town in that area.

Snowy123 wrote:
We were expecting to download every day anyway, since it is so early in the season (13th - 17th Dec) and were told that chances are we won't be able to ski back to the hotel?

Yes it's down to weather and temperature but Ischgl really plow the money in to their hardware and if it's possible to get snow down to the village there will be snow down to the village.

Snowy123 wrote:
Thanks for the blacks are less used than reds tip! I get nervous on blacks (in the head). As long as I don't know it is a black, I can ski down but the moment I know it is a black, I panic! LOL.

On the home runs the blacks are only slightly steeper than the reds but still motorway wide and flat, and even at the end of the day look like the piste basher only left 20min ago.

Snowy123 wrote:
Son is 15 (acting like he is 18 though). Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ischgl is an apres ski town so attracts a generally adult clientele - but most of it's still family friendly.

You probably want to avoid:
- Above (or is it below) the Burger King and below the steak restaurant (I'm assuming he won't be going in the Trofana nightclub) as these are the very adult bits.
- Schatzi Bar, opposite the bottom of the PB home run - just a bit seedy.
- Freeride bar, just up from Schatzi Bar towards FB - very seedy.
- The 3rd bar down in the SB square - cougar town.

Other than that I'd say all the bars are safe for a 15 year-old, specifically I'd say:
- Kitzloch, on the other side of the river to Schatzi Bar, etc next to PB - classic dancing in ski boots to terrible, catchy songs you don't understand and who's hand movements you almost have down by the end of the week. Re-opens as a good restaurant at 8pm - have the ribs.
- Kuhstall, 1st bar down in the SB square - you'll feel old but he'll love it.

For food on the mountain - get across to Alp Bella on the far left of the map for half chicken and chips.
For food in town - everywhere's good on the whole. We weren't impressed with the steak restaurant last year, but probably just a bad night (fine previous years). Give the Gasthof Alt Paznaun a go one evening, just for the joy if being in Heidi's granpa's house...in the basement. No, we don't know what they were thinking either but the bazzaness makes us smile and the food's good.

Oh, and there's a no ski gear (boots/poles/skis) in town after something like 8pm rule. We never saw anyone out to enforce this last year though and it's a small town so unless you're staying out of Ischgl it's easier/nicer to just dump your kit at the hotel, quickly change and head back out.
ski holidays
@Snowy123,
Consider Lech. Heaven for the nervous, heaven for the experienced. And a prettier village, with more snow in the village normally than Ischgl. You want a bit of Christmas too, don't you? Very Happy
Good alternative: Obergurgl
But anyway: wait with booking. Ischgl was only artificial too last december. With perfect snow on 15th November, which completely disappeared before 1st December...
ski holidays
@clarky999, thanks for the run7 tip!

@sticks1975, We are probably taking a taxi but I read somewhere that you can take a train to Landeck (I think) and then take a taxi to Ischgl.

@Mjit, thank you for the detailed informations! Thanks for all the apres-ski and restaurant recommendations, especially the seedy ones to avoid! Will check out Kitzloch (we love Nederhutte in Obergurgl) but have a feeling son is at the age when he might be embarrassed to dance with his parents! And thanks for the 8pm rule tip!

@Langerzug, would love to go to Lech but put off by price and a bit worried that mid December is a bit risky for snow? we've got friends who go there every year for New Year and they thought mid Dec is a bit too early.
latest report
@Snowy123,
Don't think the Hotel Tirol in Ischgl is exactly cheap?
Ischgl and Lech are not that far apart pricewise.
And as mentioned, my advice is to wait with booking. Normally Lech is fine early december. And Lech is much better for the nervous skier. The Ischgl valley decents are steep, shady and icy in general. Not a pleasant way to end the day for the nervous!

But -repeat- booking now would be a silly thing to do. Early december you just need to stay flexible, to find the best place to go. Cannot believe the Hotel Tirol is saying they are already booked, or expect bookings. And Ischgl has so much good hotels! Week 16-23 December is still very much super-low-season
It could as well be the Dolomites (completely different climate, with snow coming from the South) that have most snow. (And yes, the Dolomites are within 2 hours from Innsbruck)
latest report
@Langerzug, am seriously tempted by Lech but am also nervous about booking at the very last minute as I am quite fussy with hotel (we like good location with good food).

Believe it or not, Hotel Tirol offer us only the basic double room for the dates we wanted but said we could have other rooms if we were to leave on the 16th. So either they are booked or holding out for late bookings.
snow report
@Snowy123, you are overstating the relative qualities of the hotel I'm afraid. Anyway, I made my point enough clear. Have a great short week in december!
snow report
sticks1975 wrote:
Out of interest how do you plan on getting to Ischgl from Innsbruck ? I've just booked some flights for February and the transfers seem quite expensive.

Everything about Ischgl is EXPENSIVE
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@Snowy123, you are overstating the relative qualities of the hotel I'm afraid. Anyway, I made my point enough clear. Have a great short week in december!

I know I am, but it's because I get shoulder pain very easily carrying heavy stuff. So I am keen to be as close to ski lift as possible. I have checked a lot of hotels and Hotel Tirol is one the few that is right next to a lift and is reasonable as they still give 50% discount to my son, making it more affordable than others!

Thank you!
ski holidays
If your carrying heavy stuff includes your skis and you're going to get the gondola back down to town there are coin-operated, lockable ski racks right outside the Idalp top station where both the SB and FB drop off. There's also a ski storage office under the FB bottom station, with a lift next to it to take you from river/ski store level up to the gondola station. We don't use the SB/PB so much but I'd imagine they both have similar facilities.

You might want to check out the hotels around the Alpenperle and Hotel Jagerhoff that you may have discounted as too far from the lift. The Alpenperle is opposite the west end of the Dorftunnel and the Jagerhoff opposite the mid-tunnel lift. As there are travellators to take you through the tunnel you can get from either of those areas with minimal ski carrying too.
snow report
Snowy123 wrote:
@sticks1975, We are probably taking a taxi but I read somewhere that you can take a train to Landeck (I think) and then take a taxi to Ischgl.

Never done these but we have a guy joining us mid-week in Jan. so been looking in to it and yep, the train runs from Innsbruck to Landeck. You can then either take a taxi up the valley to Ischgl or there's a bus that takes the same route. Not 100% clear but I think you should be able to buy a through ticket from a machine at the airport that covers bus airport->rail station, train Innsbruck->Landeck, bus Landeck->Ischgl, as there's a max fare or something. More expensive but less hassle to just taxi/train/taxi though.
ski holidays
@Mjit, thanks for the Idalp lockers tip. Sounds like a good alternative! Will check out the other hotels as suggested.
ski holidays
@Snowy123, you could get a price from this hotel in Stuben, which we've been to many times. Would be interesting to compare prices to Ischgl.

Has an elevator directly onto the piste Smile as well as nice pool, sauna, spa etc. Ask for a package price as this includes adult lift passes which makes a huge difference in overall holiday cost! http://www.hubertushof-arlberg.at/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, heading there this March. First time in about 10 years to the hotel so am looking forward to it
snow conditions
@boabski, Enjoy, not been for 2 years and missing it! You won't have been there since they've added the lift down to the piste then?? Also looks like they've finally gone smoke free in the bar area!
snow conditions
@Mjit, Jaherhoff have no availability for my dates! and i thought it is low season! Confused where is the panic emoji?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 9-11-17 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@kitenski, thanks. Will check it out. Elevator direct to piste sounds perfect!
snow report
@Snowy123, @kitenski, looks cool. Saw it last year when in St. Anton. We are going Sat to Wed but their standard short breaks are sun to wed. I’m sure at that time of year they will have availability
snow report
@boabski, and even better there is/was a pic of my daughter in the kids club from a few years ago inside it Smile
snow conditions
@kitenski, the hotel looks amazing! i can't get the online offer to work but looking at price list, it does look more reasonable than Ischgl or Lech for what you get! I don't know Stuben at all. Is that too low for mid December? Seaon starts 7th, I think. ANd does one need to take a bus to get to Lech?
snow conditions
@Snowy123, glad you liked it Smile email them and say Greg Hilton (me) recommended them.

Stuben is North facing and that whole area generally gets good snow. You can ski to and from Lech via Zurs from the hotel with a new connection that went in recently. I'm not sure what runs go down from the Trittkopfbahn II link though so I'd check up on that. Otherwise you can bus it and there is a train station (Langan am Arlberg) nearby and the hotel will pick you up from there.
snow report
To get back from Zürs to Stuben is only with Flexenbahn download, no piste/off piste.
Stuben village is same altitude as Ischgl and Lech (1400 m)
Ischgl skiresort is higher than SkiArlberg.

(will still gladly assist on nice and reasonable Lech ski-in/out hotels Toofy Grin Very Happy Toofy Grin )
By the way: you appear to focus on halfboard hotel. With hotel-garni, you get much better prices, whilst being able to pick your restaurants. Always cheaper (overall) than halfboard, and better food, and more choice on top of that
snow conditions
@Langerzug, is there such a thing as "reasonable" Lech ski-in/out hotels? Would be interested in checking them out. Thx.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
By the way: you appear to focus on halfboard hotel. With hotel-garni, you get much better prices, whilst being able to pick your restaurants. Always cheaper (overall) than halfboard, and better food, and more choice on top of that

Not on purpose, but somehow I always just ended picking halfboard hotels....pretty open-minded as to half-board or just breakfast.
latest report
half board, Lech: Bellevue****, Alpenfluh***
half board, Oberlech: Salome****, Formarin***, Mohnenfluh****
hotel-garni, Lech: Schranz****

Apart from these: In Lech village, most hotels are very walkable to lifts, and most hotels have skidepot service at lift
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy