Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new years skiing on a budget - what do you recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's that most wonderful time of the year again... 2 friends and I have the first week of January off so we want to hit the mountains! I've been looking for places that are near airports (no more than 150km), have plenty of runs to play on, well priced airbnbs, and ski passes which won't bankrupt us. We've narrowed it down:
Morzine
Megeve
Sierra Nevada
Sauze d'Oulx
Cervinia

Does anyone have any tips or tricks about these resorts? Are any of them definite no nos? Anywhere screamingly obvious which I've missed? We are 2 intermediates and a semi newbie who will be at lessons most of the time. Just looking for somewhere really fun to enjoy ourselves before we have to go back to the real world on January 8th!

Thanks!
Celeste
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I vote Cervinia. High Enough not to have snow stress.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I second Cervinia. High and reasonably priced. Fly into Malpensa with Ryanair...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sunweb & snowtrex have some good accomodation + lift pass deals if budget is your biggest concern.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@illseeyouontheslopes, have you booked flights yet? You have chosen the most expensive week of the season....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@illseeyouontheslopes, have you booked flights yet? You have chosen the most expensive week of the season....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah the OP needs to clarify whether their stay includes NYE or if it's for the first week in January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mikeycharlton Haven't booked anything yet, long story short I'm studying in the Netherlands and it's the only free week I have until July - no half terms or anything! So unfortunately it's gotta be super high season. Planning on checking in to an airbnb on New Year's Day and leaving on the 7th. Glad to hear Cervinia is nice, I'm definitely leaning more to Italy because of the pizza!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, so question 1. is whether you can get flights...

Then where to stay. If you can’t get flights, well, there’s yer answer...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name yeah there's plenty of flights from London to Turin/Geneva, pretty cheap as well. I was looking at Sauze d'Oulx and I'm wondering why their ski pass (which covers the Milky Way) is so much cheaper than anywhere else? It's €170 and everywhere else comparable is at least €205... (for 5 days)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am thinking that Morzine might be you best bet. Plenty of flights into Geneva. Cheap transfer [ Easybus 10 quid ] PDS lift pass is 220 E for 5 days. Beginners 2 day pass 49 E

If your B&B is not close to the bus route there are ski lockers at the bottom of the main lifts to Avoriaz.

Avoriaz is a good beginners and intermediate resort.

Downside Morzine is low so you might be downloading at the endof the day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grachen wrote:
I second Cervinia. High and reasonably priced. Fly into Malpensa with Ryanair...

Out of interest, why Malpensa and not Turin? (other than cost!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could imagine that transfers from TRN to Sauze might be tricky and expensive?

Geneva to any of PdS, Grand Massif, Chamonix Valley, all super easy and well supported transfer infrastructure.

Your actual skiing requirements are pretty modest.

Personally, I’d go Morzine, and bear in mind I’d mostly ski Avoriaz. Or Flaine/Les Carroz.

No idea about finding AirBs but I know we don’t discount that week, at all, and in prior years were still getting frantic requests for availability on the preceding Friday ... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all the advice chaps - went for Morzine in the end as it's so easy to get from/to. it was the alpybus which tipped the balance in the end. thank you all again! have a great season Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy