Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changing 114 skis to touring bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I recently succumbed to temptation and bought a pair of ex demo (seemingly new) K2 Coomba 114 skis with Marker Griffon 13 bindings, in the hope of doing some more off piste skiing this season. I have now seen a secondhand set of FS Diamir Fritschi Freeride Pro Touring bindings, with 115 brakes, for sale and was wondering if these might be a worthwhile upgrade? However, I have concerns as to whether a 114 ski is really too wide to use with a touring binding and also whether it would be advisable/possible to re-drill the fixings. I should be grateful for any comments and advice, please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike S, If they're at a good price and you are seriously considering doing a little touring go for it.
I currently ski a 108 with Marker F12's and not had any problem.

Most frame style tour bindings are now equally as good as the standard bindings so I wouldn't worry to much about that. You would have to potentially find some larger brakes though to accommodate the width, again most manufactures supply these.

If you want to potentially keep both bindings you can quiver kill the ski, which is what I have done, with some Plum Guides. Means you can switch between the bindings at will, although I don't think you'd need to if youre going for a frame binding.

Note frame bindings are noticeable heavier on the foot when touring, so if you intend the tour for any sort of distance they may not be the best unless you have massive / want massive legs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski is definitely not too wide, and there will be no problems re-drilling for the new bindings. The brakes will be bendable too.

However I'm not sure I'd pick that binding unless the price is really too good to pass up. Most people's opinions were that they skied noticeably worse than alpine bindings, so if you're looking for a primarily lift served set up with the flexibility for some sort hikes it might be better to go with a Marker Baron or Tour, or Salomon Guardian/Atomic Tracker.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for the immediate feedback. Very helpful.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, the free ride pros are a little wibbly wobbly. Not used the Marker Tour but the frame looks a lot wider than the free ride pro bar so is likely to be significantly stiffer
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski bindings Marker Solomon Fritschi touring
Just in case anyone is following this thread, I ended up buying the Fritschi bindings - on the recommendation of a friend, who was using a pair, and the fact that I was getting them at a good price. However, when I came to asking @SpiderJon about quiver killing the skis, he kindly looked at the relative binding fixings for me and found that because I had 'Demo' Marker Griffon bindings (rather than standard) that the Fritschi fixings would be too close to the original fixing holes. I'm now going to try the Coombas with the Griffon bindings before I decide what I'm going to do next. I may have a set of FS Diamir Fritschi Freeride Pro Touring bindings for sale! FYI, I attach a photograph of the relative binding fixing positions, which Jon plotted for me.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy