Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning a trip to Nagano early March for 4-5 days and would like some recommendations for small resorts with good skiing. I am currently thinking of Nosaowsen and Hakuba but I know there are dozens of smaller resorts in this area. I am linking this to a business trip I am making to both Yokohama and Osaka. Please don't tell me I should go to Hokkaido as I do not have the time.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fogliettaz, I enjoyed Nozawa Onsen and Madarao. Neither are small by Japanese standards but would be small in the Alps. Madarao is good for off-piste if you catch it on a good day as there's some nice areas in the trees where off-piste is officially allowed. Nozawa Onsen is a nice town with lots of great Onsens, but also lots of foreign tourists. Also, there's a really tiny resort called Kijimadaira which has a chairlift that only opens twice a week with access to quite a good (but small) area of steep terrain. Useful if it hasn't snowed for a couple of days and other resorts are tracked out!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
128 cm over the last day or so in Naeba

Same cat the night before

The snowmobile is actually on the road

https://www.facebook.com/MikunicatTour/videos/898913976937936/

The cat swimming - only got a few 10's of meters before having to backup and try again, kept getting stuck, sometimes only 2m progress, such a ridiculous amount of snow!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
🐱⛷️ gone wrong?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK use the cat to clear the road....then you can see if you are parked legally! don't want to upset the highway patrol wink
@musehead, Kijimadaira's top lift is open Wed, Sat, Sun and national holidays, conditions & ski patrol permitting. In Nozawa in summer I was told that 76% of all their ski guests come from Australia, and 5% from S.E.Asia. Every year fewer Japanese are skiing there. Another Niseko?
@Fogliettaz, From Nozawa you can drive over to the Myoko area in about 45 mins....the two main ski areas are Akakura Kanko/Akakura Onsen (joint lift ticket) and Suginohara. Further along the road towards Joetsu, Arai has reopened this season thanks to the Korean Lotte company.....huge amounts of snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Getting some nice turns up at Mikuni this morning.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It doesn't stop snowing - 5m so far this season! 105cm in the last 48!, getting fed up of digging out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Niseko now shows basically no snow in last 5 days and v little expected...im surprised a bit the difference! Anyway hope to get there this year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Niseko now shows basically no snow in last 5 days and v little expected...im surprised a bit the difference! Anyway hope to get there this year.

tell me about it, soon as I arrived it stopped snowing! typical.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mid-thight deep in Kiroro the past three days.

There's much more to SW Hokkaido than the Niseko Resort Area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flights and car hire booked, need to fit in 1-2 days at the Yokohama Boat Show and 2-3 days in the Osaka region for work and hope to have 4-5 days in Nagano prefecture second week of March. Is it true you need an International Driving Permit for car hire in Japan and one other question are the road signs in English as well as Japanese?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Drifter210 wrote:
Quote:

tell me about it, soon as I arrived it stopped snowing! typical.

Please tell me you had a good day today
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fogliettaz wrote:
Flights and car hire booked, need to fit in 1-2 days at the Yokohama Boat Show and 2-3 days in the Osaka region for work and hope to have 4-5 days in Nagano prefecture second week of March. Is it true you need an International Driving Permit for car hire in Japan and one other question are the road signs in English as well as Japanese?

yes and yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Fogliettaz, the GPS we had on our hire car was incredibly easy to use.

The Voice was in English and to enter the destination you just used its phone number.
So simple.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Fogliettaz wrote:

yes and yes

But do remember to get into the car from the other side, otherwise you will not find the steering wheel. Madeye-Smiley
Most cars are automatic. Mad
latest report
@Hyst, I will find the steering wheel as I'm English wink
latest report
Fantastic conditions today, hoping it continues all week!
snow report
@vuongh, Where? Japan’s a big place Very Happy Also, define ‘Fantastic’, as everyone has a different opinion.
snow report
Fogliettaz wrote:
@Hyst, I will find the steering wheel as I'm English wink

Embarassed
Now I understand I never can find the steering when visiting family in England.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
@vuongh, Where? Japan’s a big place Very Happy Also, define ‘Fantastic’, as everyone has a different opinion.

Hanazono, Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido

Face shots for fun
snow conditions
Spot on Mike, hope you're having a blast out here!
snow report
vuongh wrote:
Spot on Mike, hope you're having a blast out here!

Great winter.

Will post pics & vids in a day or so
ski holidays
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this topic, but I am assuming the Japan experts are here...

Leaving UK on BA on 26/1 for a week's skiing in Hakuba.

I had planned to take my Ortovox ABS including the MASS (Modular Airbag Safety System). However for this to operate, I need to have the gas canister filled in Japan (I think it is against rules to take compressed gas on a plane?).

Can this be done in Hakuba? Getting conflicting reports if this can be done or not...

Many thanks.
snow report
You can put it in the hold - if you get prior approval from your carrier.
snow conditions
Thanks - is that put it in the hold full? Do you know what BAs policy is?
ski holidays
Sorry, I was in a rush earlier.

They have a clause that covers all items of this type (diving, skiing etc), from their website;

"If you'd like to take any small, non-flammable gas cartridges with you that contain carbon dioxide or another suitable non-flammable, non-toxic, non-corrosive gas, please contact us to get approval.

You can then take the following items in your hand or checked baggage:
•max. two small cartridges per person, fitted into a self-inflating safety device, such as a life jacket or vest
•only one device per person
•max. four cartridges up to 50ml water capacity for other devices"

Email them at: safety.1.safety@ba.com
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, Thank you.

The BA website states:

Quote:

Please contact us to get approval for avalanche rescue packs containing a cartridge of compressed gas (IATA Division 2.2.) or a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing no more than 200mg net as per IATA Division 1.4S.

You can only take one backpack per person and must ensure it cannot be activated accidentally. The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves. Once approved, you can take this item in your hand or checked baggage.

Please note additional restrictions apply if you're travelling to/from the US.

So if I have the cartridge filled in UK before leaving, there should be no problem to use... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@1556garyt, In theory, yes. Make sure you contact the airline first, and notify them on checkin. I’ve flown many times in Europe and to Canada, and you’ll get everything from “That’s fine”, to phone calls to supervisors and upwards. Internal flights in Japan are another matter, as a few have been lost to over keen security operatives.

Carry printouts of the IATA regs and the ABS technical specifications.
snow report
@PowderAdict, thanks - no internal flights in Japan (bullet train only) so hopefully this won't be a problem.
ski holidays
A whole boat load of rain, then freezing and settling. Now we have fantastic coverage, but dust on Death crust. Looks nice though.

ski holidays
@Idris, where is that - Honshu? For how long was it raining and how much has it ruined the snow? Is more snow forecast to repair the damage?
latest report
It better get it's act together by the 20th as I'm going to be one grumpy punter leaving here after some great days skiing this week (see Serre Che thread) with a load of snow forecast for next week to arrive and ski crud in land of the rising sun, mind you I did predict that this would happen Crying or Very sad
latest report
Idris wrote:
A whole boat load of rain, then freezing and settling. Now we have fantastic coverage, but dust on Death crust. Looks nice though....

wink Looks like my local golf course.
snow report
I should have been on the plane today for nearly a month on Hokaido, prolapsed disc has forced me to put it on hold.

@Weathercam read the snow Japan daily reports from Niseko - apparently conditions are pretty much perfect. 15cm fresh cold pow last night, more tonight, more next week.

I know I’d give my left but to be airborne right now.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
It better get it's act together by the 20th as I'm going to be one grumpy punter leaving here after some great days skiing this week (see Serre Che thread) with a load of snow forecast for next week to arrive and ski crud in land of the rising sun, mind you I did predict that this would happen Crying or Very sad

It did this just before we arrived in Hokkaido a couple of years ago - dust on a crust for a few days but it was covered by fresh snow very quickly and we were soon back into the face shots! You'll be fine wink
ski holidays
hd wrote:
@Idris, where is that - Honshu? For how long was it raining and how much has it ruined the snow? Is more snow forecast to repair the damage?

Central Honshu, 1.5 hr Shikansen north of Tokyo.
A day and half rain.
Ruined, no. Gave us stability and a base 1.5 - 2 m thick that covers everything. Before we had 2.2 -3m of unstable bottomless mess.
Yes more snow on the way, but forecast has been wrong 3 days straight so far. Currently Baltic cold (-15C or colder and damp)
latest report
Good to hear folks!

Did get the OH checking forecasts.

Mind you what we've been skiing this morning - a whole mixture of snow - just your typical European slack country - off the lift, off the back, to ski a nice line and then skin back up!
ski holidays
Dumping right now, 10-20cm this evening
ski holidays
@Idris, I like the "baltic" cold in Japan. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy