Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Started here

Ashai Onsen looks nice in the snow

Skied to the ridge and out SW, nice views, rain crust not so bad

Finished here

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Way to make the best of the conditions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, what a truly awesome two months it’s been in Niseko...

@mike_pow thanks for the advice about 9 months ago when I was umming and arring between here or Canada. Definitely made the right choice!

Looking forward to March and April, just hoping on some fresh snow soon after the recent rain... followed by some nice long sunny days to get some tours in Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drifter210 wrote:
Well, what a truly awesome two months it’s been in Niseko...

@mike_pow thanks for the advice about 9 months ago when I was umming and arring between here or Canada. Definitely made the right choice!

Looking forward to March and April, just hoping on some fresh snow soon after the recent rain... followed by some nice long sunny days to get some tours in Very Happy

Excellent.

My pleasure. My best season in the 11 I've been playing on Fantasy Island Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm going to Happo One this week, but the temperature is heating up and the rain forecasts are great. I thought I'd go to Appi Kogen, anyone know? By the forecasts the temperature is lower. What do you think? I'm going to Happo One or change the mountain?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, yes-we did! It's a small world
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musehead wrote:
@BobinCH, Volkl Katana V-Werks. Varied conditions - almost everything apart from slush really! Probably had really deep powder only about 1/3 of the time. Overall they were good. Next time I might take them along with some narrower ones and see how I get on.

Feel like I've missed out on a really epic season in Japan this year, I'm definitely going back next winter!

That’s a pretty stiff ski by all accounts. I went from a 193 119mm waisted Volkl Shiro to a 185 124mm waisted DPS Lotus 124 and it is a much easier and more fun ride in all conditions - it is even remarkably good on piste! Worth a look if you can try some. The Wailer 112’s are also great! Pricy but Telemark Pyrenees have 15% off
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
musehead wrote:
@BobinCH, Volkl Katana V-Werks. Varied conditions - almost everything apart from slush really! Probably had really deep powder only about 1/3 of the time. Overall they were good. Next time I might take them along with some narrower ones and see how I get on.

Feel like I've missed out on a really epic season in Japan this year, I'm definitely going back next winter!

That’s a pretty stiff ski by all accounts. I went from a 193 119mm waisted Volkl Shiro to a 185 124mm waisted DPS Lotus 124 and it is a much easier and more fun ride in all conditions - it is even remarkably good on piste! Worth a look if you can try some. The Wailer 112’s are also great! Pricy but Telemark Pyrenees have 15% off

FreezePro also have some good discounts at the moment on DPS - https://www.freezeproshop.com/brand/dps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im a 75kg guy but I bought a pair of 178 K2 Remedy 112 thinking they were just the mens Shreditor 112 with a different top sheet (same dimensions and mount point). Got them for 200euro on Sport Conrad and figured I couldn't lose at that price. However, I later read that they were a different construction and were softer, and I worried I'd be flapping about all over the place.

I was really impressed with how much fun they were. Given the terrain, the snow and the trees, I never really hit high speeds. Even the pistes were soft and mellow for the most part and the K2s cut nice arcs at moderate speeds. I never felt like I needed something burlier. A soft 112 ish in a playful shape suited me perfectly.

P.s. Just booked flights for next season. Yass!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bars/restaurants/things to do in Otaru?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
element wrote:
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for bars/restaurants/things to do in Otaru?

good restaurants in Otaru need advance booking. Isezushi for sushi (book in advance or try your luck early lunch hours - worked for me as reservation was available in 2 months only when I inquired)
Soba restaurant - super cool - close to the train station, resto called Yabuhan - loved it.

There are many places arround, some more touristic than others, but otherwise lovely.

Bars - bavarian - Otaru Beer, on the canal, weird but good.

To do - (have not done this myself as one week was too short) - Nikka Whisky close to Otaru, Shokotan peninsula trip (day trip). These two are on my "to do" list for the next trip
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@element, go night skiing right in town at Otaru Tenguyama ?

Features the steepest piste in Japan (or so they claim)

Visit the canal...rather over rated in my view, but it is what Otaru is known for.

Sushi at the canal:
Kantaro Sushi was absolutely exceptional, and not expensive.
Like all sushi in Japan do NOT take it from the sushi-train as it goes past, use the order form and it is made bespoke, and ultra fresh, for you.

Japanese BBQ....you have an actual BBQ in the middle of your table with a fan that sucks all the fumes from below so no smoke etc
Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ
Was totally delicious
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whiskey Bars seemed to be a big thing in Otaru. We went to Rita’s which is a tiny place down an alley, ask a taxi driver.

By tiny I mean maybe 10-12 people, but they have 100+ Whiskies. The sample menus allow you to try up to 8 different ones.

I went to Otaru Beer on a Friday in 2016 and they had run out of food rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mooney058, @rungsp, @PowderAdict, Thanks very much, all of those suggestions sound great. Powder, sushi and whiskey is an unbeatable combo. Will be staying in the Grand Park, looks like a decent spot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@element, while in Hokkaido I discovered sake. Heard horrible things about it before the trip, but was surprised by the variety, quality and taste.
latest report
@element, The Grand Park is a step up from the usual resort hotel. I stayed there the last three years. The rooms and breakfast are good, but I wouldn't recommend the hotel evening buffet, the food was ok, but nothing special for the 4000-5000 Yen price. The hotel is part of a huge shopping mall where you can get anything from KFC, Mcdonalds, Italian, Sushi etc, and a massive supermarket.

Just found the website for Rita's - http://nikka-rita.jp/
snow conditions
The Nikka whiskey distillery + museum / tour is quite an interesting visit - it looks like that Rita bar has been set up in collaboration with them.

I wouldn't make a special effort to visit but if you happen to be passing / it's raining etc
ski holidays
@BobinCH, Thanks, I'll have a look into DPS. Not had a chance to try them before.
latest report
Monday, Sapporo Teine

Death cookies and ice. Better snow on my local hill in Shropshire. That said, 'On a Powder Day'....

Tuesday, Mount Racey.

Better, snowfall over night gave some dust on crust and we started to see the possibilities. 'On a Powder Day' it would score well with some steepish terrain, with very little traffic. A good option.

Wednesday, Furano.

More like it. Snow overnight. We opened Gate C, and after working out the line scored face shots. We chose to skin out rather than follow the line to the bottom. Repeat then boot packed up to Gate E which served up some lovely turns. We switched sides and headed up to Gate A and B, choosing A. That gave some nice tree skiing. No point tracking too far right if you do it.

Weather looks to be getting warm again so we'll see what the next few days bring.
snow conditions
@mooney058, wouldn't be averse to a wee sake.

Cheers again@musehead, and @PowderAdict, I've learned more useful stuff from the Japan threads on here than anywhere else.

Good luck with the search @AndAnotherThing..,
snow report
@element, ta Smile
snow conditions
Currently in Furano, first day. Decided to do 5 days on the end of a trip to the rest of Japan.
10C and very heavy rain.
Very quiet and closed up today with only 2 lifts running so haven’t bothered skiing today.
Fingers crossed that the rain will turn to snow overnight as forecast.

Not the best first impression of Japan but knew it was a risk late season just didn’t appreciate how quickly spring arrives here!
snow report
paddy2190 wrote:
Currently in Furano, first day. Decided to do 5 days on the end of a trip to the rest of Japan.
10C and very heavy rain.
Very quiet and closed up today with only 2 lifts running so haven’t bothered skiing today.
Fingers crossed that the rain will turn to snow overnight as forecast.

Not the best first impression of Japan but knew it was a risk late season just didn’t appreciate how quickly spring arrives here!

It isn't late season nor Spring on Hokkaido.

This is not typical of this time of year.

It may be no consolation to you because you may have left, but temperatures will drop and the snow will return.

Some of my deepest days have been in March
snow conditions
I’m here for the next 4 days, temperatures have dropped now but no snow yet, fingers crossed it snows later.
Ideally would have come a bit earlier in the season but was unable due to other travel plans. Still loads of deep base and huge amounts of snow around the town just disappointed with the temperatures being so high.
Japan’s been fantastic anyway just a bit of fresh snow now would be awesome.
latest report
Arrived at HND 7 this morning and my trip hasn't got off the the best of starts. Couldn't pick the hire car up this morning, got to go back tomorrow. Still its all part of the adventure, 3 more days of work before I head to Hakuba and Nosawosen.
ski holidays
Finally got to the mountains, and Japan has delivered, not the knee deep powder I had hoped for, but a superb day in the sun on spring corn at Happo One.
latest report
For anyone on / heading to Hokkaido

Be nimble, go high

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/KiroroSnowWorld/6day/top

There's snow in them thar hills
latest report
Any suggestions for heading over to Asahi-dake Mike? with work out the way, thinking of taking a road trip up there. I hear its best to hire a guide if you want to explore beyond the 4 groomed cat tracks...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drifter210 wrote:
Any suggestions for heading over to Asahi-dake Mike? with work out the way, thinking of taking a road trip up there. I hear its best to hire a guide if you want to explore beyond the 4 groomed cat tracks...

Looks like wall to wall snow from now until Monday, so if you haven't been there before getting someone to show you around could be a good idea.

The ins are obvious, the outs not so much.

But it's not essential.

Just don't be greedy and head back to the lifts / piste before you get too low.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Quite right, it was super easy to tour/hike up to the summit (in clear visibility) last winter but some lower level clouds had come in by the time we descended. We planned to descend on the north face while curving back round to the left towards the top lift station but lost altitude more quickly than we realised. Ended up having to skin back along flat/undulating ground for quite a while to get back to the trails, which was quite an effort in the deep snow. Another group were descending into the crater, which might be easier for route finding but you'd have to be careful of the steaming fumaroles.

I'm not sure how often the top part of Asahidake has good snow - it must get a lot of wind. When we were there it was just solid, giant sastrugi with the powder being amongst the trees lower down.
ski holidays
@Drifter210, I'm there at the moment. We're not guided but have skins as a back up. As Mike says, as long as you don't get too greedy the nav isn't bad. Poor viz yesterday and today doesn't look much better. A day trip elsewhere beckons before the snow tomorrow.

@musehead, We skinned up the crater line a couple of days ago. A good option in better viz, but at the moment you would want axe and crampons to summit.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the input.

We are probably going to spend 1/2 full days up there, do you think it’s better to head over once the weather has settled or just get in amongst it? I’m thinking in terms of lift operation and visibility. I ain’t no fair weather skier and happy to just ski the trees if it’s nice pow Cool
ski holidays
@Drifter210, not sure what happens in March but based on my one trip in Feb you could be waiting 10+ days for the weather to settle!!
snow report
@kitenski, ooooh that could wind up being a rather costly road trip! I'm hoping March may be a little more settled than that... time to suck it and see
snow report
Was up Asahidake 2 days ago in fantastic clear sunny conditions with no wind. Hired a guide with Whiterooms from furano and had a great day with about 5cm of fresh ‘dust on crust’ off piste which was surprisingly soft and grippy.
Last day in Furano today, raining in the town again but snow is forecast for tomorrow if anyone’s coming out.
Great piste conditions and we’ve enjoyed some sunny still weather. A bit more like good European alpine spring conditions rather than classic Japow.

Will hopefully come back one day maybe try earlier season to avoid the freeze thaw but genuinely had a great experience of Japan and still found some great snow.
ski holidays
Report for those interested, having returned from Asahikawa. We took the hour long journey to Asahidake on the Friday and after a hefty snowfall the night before it was fresh plooms all day in shin to knee deep dry powder. There were some icy windblown patches up at the top but once dropping down in to the powder bowls conditions were simpleh loveleh!

Opting for local guide for the day was definitely the right call, we would not have ventured so far on our own given the low vis and blustery conditions at the top of the Ropeway. We could have followed the crowd it would not have been the same experience. Satoko, our guide from Totori Pension and in her 7th winter of guiding at Asahidake, knew the area like the back of her hand. She took us on 6/7 awesome runs including around the back of the mountain which involved a 15-20 minute tour up from the Ropeway and then some touring back round to the cat tracks which return to the Ropeway base. Yes the descents are fairly short lived but we knew that, and they were still really good fun in some super light powder, rivalling that of peak season Niseko. We had sunny periods in the afternoon adding to the touring experience with a majestic alpine backdrop. Quick note for snowboarders, it is an undulating mountain with some flats, many boarders ride with poles and they definitely came in handy for the missus. We joined a group tour, albeit there was only us two and one other guest. We paid 13,000 yen each for the guide plus the Ropeway ticket which was about 4,500 yen.

On the Saturday we chose to check-out one of the many hills local to Asahikawa, venturing 30 minutes out of town to Kamui Ski Links. The resort is affiliated with Niseko United (with about 12 other resorts in Hokkaido) and so we took a 400 yen saving on the 1-day lift ticket reducing to 2,700 yen. What an awesome resort this is! 20+ runs, 600m vertical, long winding and beautifully groomed pistes and some excellent side country tree skiing. After a big storm this place would provide days of fun, however, we were happy with the left over powder from the day before. Crunchy in exposed off-piste areas but mostly soft in the trees and on the pistes, all of which was largely untracked due to the quiet nature of the resort, even on a Saturday. Would recommend this resort if you're up in the area.

As for Asahikawa, a good place to base yourself, plenty of small cosy bars and izakaya style restaurants hidden down just about every side alley or back street. We used Airbnb and paid £20 a night in a simple but clean apartment 10 mins drive out-of-town. On the way back to Niseko we swung by a sweet little bakery owned and run by a Japanese lady who served us some of the most delicious artisan breads we've ever tasted. I think we ate our body weight. Loop it was called. Definitely worth calling in if you have a car.
snow report
@Drifter210, Good one. We were there on Friday too. Shame we didn't bump into each other.

Out of interest, did you go to the lookers left or right of the hill out of the top station on your tour ?

I wondered what Kamui would be like on the Saturday having had an excellent day there on the Wednesday, spring skiing. Had they pisted the fresh and was the lookers left hand section of the resort open ?
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., we probably unknowingly crossed paths at some point! Mostly went to the right side out of the lift. On the hikes we went in a sort of 1 o'clock direction as you head out from the top of the lift. then scaled across the back and dropped down.

Kamui was lovely, fresh corduroy top to bottom, there were a couple of ungroomed blacks if I recall but unfortunately the gated areas to the lookers left were still closed (courses 21-25 I think). Imagine these would be a treat in high season.
latest report
@Drifter210, Cheers, that makes sense. We tended to do the same (mostly head right) although viz was not great at the top.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy