Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
After a few days of crust but not awful skiing with the Powderhouds crew

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-01-18 8:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We got our powder back Wink

The powder is back from Tom Greenall
https://vimeo.com/251107170

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 15-01-18 8:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And a few nice turns at Kagura

Split the post up and fixed it

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-01-18 8:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I quote it and preview it it is fine but doesn't show if I then post the quote. Possibly one of the embedded links causing problems. I'm on my phone so can't test or easily look at the code to see why it's not posting
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pieman666 wrote:
If I quote it and preview it it is fine but doesn't show if I then post the quote. Possibly one of the embedded links causing problems. I'm on my phone so can't test or easily look at the code to see why it's not posting

Tks for the help for the fix
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A Japan virgin.
In Niseko, Rusutsu and Furano at various times from the middle of next week. With a guide. Any must-not-miss this run or off-piste run advice?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mark1863, Your guide should be finding the best snow for you each day. The first time I went the itinerary was for 10 resorts, but we only visited 6 because of the conditions. If you have great conditions in one resort, and marginal in another, why visit the marginal one, just to tick a box.

On my last 2 trips, visiting Niseko was waste of time as the first time it was closed due to storms, and the second time the snow was terrible, it would have made more sense to return to one of the resorts we had already visited
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Rusutsu take a break off-snow to have a look around the huge resort hotel....a strange, very strange place...Disney on drugs...well worth a 30 minute indoor wander
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rungsp, +++
It's realy weird in Japanese kinda cute way. Kids amusement arcade right beside the beer vending machine. Throw in a bunch of exhausted kiwi skiers drinking those beers and it just is a bit surreal.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not directly on topic but suspect everyone with a current interest in Japan is on this thread...

We have ended up with x2 extra tickets for the second last day (day14) of the Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo this Saturday. The tickets were purchased off Stubhub for a total of £165 (including postage and stubhub fees etc). The tickets are in Block C (the cheapest category).

The tickets are in my physical possession in the UK but I can either ship globally or hand over in person on Saturday (although only arrive in Tokyo on Saturday morning).

If interested: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135662
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Niseko and first day was yesterday with the top closed and we did not get up the hill till around 10:30 and everywhere was pretty tracked out as there are so many Aussie gromit snow boarders here and we even encountered quite a few lift queues.

Today was on a different scale, what I'd really come here for!

We were touring lower slopes or Nito with a guide who had done the FatMap for the region so he knew his stuff!

We were blessed with superb conditions and the sun made an appearance as well. After two climbs two of the group retired to an Onsen whilst we did one more.

I'm not bothering going up the hill tomorrow as forecast is pretty grim and I'll spend some time either finding another guide, though many we have contacted are full, or will just get a taxi and go back to where we were today as route finding is pretty easy.

Friday we're cat skiing Cool

http://youtube.com/v/HLXxGiqzudg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How dare the Aussie gromit snowboarders track everything out, did you not tell them you were coming?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a great day in rusutsu today with guides lots of fresh through the trees
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Minion1980, sorry but if you ever read my posts, 80% of my skiing in any given season I'm skiing un-tracked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, the other 20% I got there first Laughing
snow conditions
Skiied at Goryu/Hakuba 47 yesterday morning with about 10cm of fresh at the top and 3cm at base. Could still feel the hard layer from the rain last week. No crowds and good visibility despite the high cloud. Light snow started falling just after midday in town and has continued since. 16cm reported in town this morning and up to 20cm higher up. Went to Iwatake today and the fresh snow had made a big difference. It felt like 30cm+ in some areas off piste and all the groomed runs had 15 to 20 since the groomers had done their work. It started to get a bit windy around midday and there were warnings that the gondola may have to close. Forecast to keep snowing for the next six days at least and there is a snow warning in place for large parts of Honshu Very Happy
It's going to be a great week.
ski holidays
MMmmmmm weather pretty grim and Niseko resort now closed - not too sure what the options will be for tomorrow as think top lifts will be closed* so might be touring is the only possibility to get fresh.

*did have a guide booked to go off the back from the top.
snow conditions
Another 20 to 30 cm since yesterday and the same forecast for tomorrow here in Haktuba. Great storm skiing today at Happo one with ok visibility and getting up to knee deep in places. Biggest issue is to decide where to go tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
After last yesterday's storm big question was what would today bring?

And we awoke to a clearing sky and Yotei Zan coming making an apperance along with that yellow thing in the sky.

Our guide Cvetko Podlogar quite possibly one of the best guides in Japan (see bio below) arrived at our house and said Mont Yotei was the target. I was pretty sure he did not mean all the way after the crazy winds of yesterday.

We arrived at the little parking area and set off - it was apparent that snow was super light and Cvetko advised us back in the house that it was going to be circa -20.

Snow on the trees and on the tops which evidently are known as "Monkey Chairs" was just so stunning. We climbed up to just above the main tree line and a few of our group were showing signs of tiredness plus snow was starting to get sketchy so we went into transition and the son of one of my mates started showing signs of hypothermia so turned into a bit of a rush to get back down.

The run was great though very cold on the face, hence lack of more video and shots as hands just froze after ten or so seconds.

http://youtube.com/v/1OSo6oJ1ecU
snow report
Road trip over to Rusutsu today with all the group back together along with a guide.

Nice cold powder but quite tracked out but all the group were loving it.

Towards the end I was starting to get a tad frustrated at his route finding so when all the group started talking about lunch I asked if we could investigate going off the back as to me it seemed a very good option as OH and I were packing skins.

And like they say, picture / thousand words etc - plus you always know pow is first class when it's still hanging in the air after the previous turns Cool

snow report
A bit of fun at Mikuni cat yesterday

MikuniSynchro from Tom Greenall
https://vimeo.com/252684940
snow report
Mmmmmm think I'll stick to free riding turns 😎
snow report
@Idris, actually take it back went cat skiing yesterday and the terrain was so mellow and snow so deep, had to straight line it a lot of the time !

And just has not stopped snowing since we've been here it seems, crazy amounts.

Mission accomplished with two members of our group (who never skied off piste powder) have been ripping the last two / three days.

Think they'll be in for a shock when they next ski in Europe though Toofy Grin

Couple of wipe outs Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/B8lXCnMNNtY
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Idris, actually take it back went cat skiing yesterday and the terrain was so mellow and snow so deep, had to straight line it a lot of the time !

Mission accomplished with two members of our group (who never skied off piste powder) have been ripping the last two / three days.

Where were you riding? Wiess? Chinsepuri?

We get a lot of first timers (first time away from the pistes) at our place, it tends to change/ruin (lots more kit to buy) their life Wink
latest report
Stormriding yesterday

latest report
Here in Hukuba there has been about 1m of snow at town level in the week that I have been here. At the top of the lifts there has been up to double that so great skiing every day and no waiting for lifts at all Very Happy Looks as though a little more tonight and then a few days of mostly sunny with just a few cms here and there.
latest report
Feel gutted this year I choose west coast USA for my annua lski trip after 3 years in a row in Japan..
I wish i never done that mistake worse snow winter season in 10 years...
Next week forecast v worm temperature and absolutely dry forat least two/ three weeks ..disaster Confused
Next year no dought know what to do..if you looking for powder there is only one destination that guarantee that.
latest report
Deep pow on the Weiss

Loads more shots here snowboarders and skiers https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeed42v

Was looking at snow accumulation for this season vs last season and it's well up on last year.

Seemed to just never stop snowing, though think we were very fortunate, especially when we climbed the Yotei to see the sun and great views over to the pistes of Niseko and summit.

What was interesting were all the skiers flying out of Saporro on Saturday, most were of the touring / off piste variety with very few "punter" skiers and there were many Frenchies on our London flight who had been touring in various areas, and did take great delight in telling them where my home is in the season Cool

Think next time round more road trips required and just touring though finishing off the trip with a cat ski Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad to hear that..enjoy..
Ready to fly out today and with that forecast ahead not v happy...wush me luck.
latest report
@Weathercam, you've done well to see blue sky/sun!! Have you taken your drone out with you?
latest report
@kitenski, we actually had three occasions on three different days when we had blue sky and could see that yellow thing in the sky!

Actually you can see blue sky in both videos above and see how bright it was in those images in the Rusutsu road trip shots.

Funny thing was OH was not enjoying the weather conditions we encountered on the Cat trip on the final couple of descents and decided to bail on the last one. Then as we neared the top so we came out of the cloud and the sun made an appearance for the group photo so she had to make the final descent.

So in fact we saw the sun on four days!

And no did not bother taking the drone, though a few people I met were very impressed with the footage!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Think next time round more road trips required and just touring though finishing off the trip with a cat ski Toofy Grin

This reminded me of something I saw the other day - the Strava Heat map for last year was published recently and you can use it to identify ski touring (and skiing) areas in Japan. The first link is zoomed in on an area on the opposite side of the valley from Furano which has a couple of remote hillside hotels used for ski touring in the winter. You can see the road, the main skinning routes and the varied ski down routes. You can see the two nearby locations (car parks) which people start their ski tours from.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.81/142.65584/43.41310/hot/all

This shows Furano ski resort, the ski lifts are very obvious and you can see some backcountry routes too:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.96/142.34280/43.32557/hot/all
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/mW9at0lL_XA

A bit of nice woods riding
snow conditions
Lovely
ski holidays
What a day with @Mike Pow, Smile had to “unlearn” some stuff and then slowly build-up again. So glad to have met Mike, now enough to think about and improve over the next 10 days. Top man!
snow report
Joetsu Kokusai nice snow on the western slopes, not so nice on the eastern slopes, but sooo many chairlifts and so little skiing

latest report
What a day!😁
HUGE thanks to@Mike Pow, for showing what it is all about!!! And for teaching as well!

ski holidays
That last picture with the lift queue has the unmistakable look of a school group...all in identical kit with numbered tabards
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:
That last picture with the lift queue has the unmistakable look of a school group...all in identical kit with numbered tabards

Yup, we saw many of them, over 1000!
snow report
Last turn of the day

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy