Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2017/2018 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
@AP1, arriving in Flaine some time around midnight - fingers crossed. If you see someone dressed as an under-ripe banana wearing a bright blue helmet over the weekend, that'll be me. Any top tips for the area?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For skiing or apres ski ? Luckily w3 are in Samoens and may not meet bananaman !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There must have been 30cm of snow overnight. The conditions today should be epic but sadly I have to leave. The top of Aup de Verans and Grand Platieres are visible and there is no wind at resort level. They are blasting so I would guess that the avalanche risk is going to be high so this could delay the opening of the lifts. Yesterday the visibility was bad all day and I didn't go out until 1pm. By the time I got down to Forum they had closed the DMC and the Aup de Verans because of high winds so didn't get to do any real skiing, very frustrating. Anyone coming over to Flaine today is in for a great day. Have fun!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AP1, we'll be in real trouble if he brings his Ukulele as well.........

@UkuleleDave, hope you arrived OK.

Has been snow overnight in Les Carroz, although I'd guess only 10-15cm. Bon ski, everyone, and sorry that @Chris Mason, has to leave just now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morning all. Interesting drive into resort last night. Was very glad someone else was doing it.

@sj1608, fear not - no ukulele this trip. Travelling companion would probably burn it. Have we met?

Looking very exciting for a good day. Will report back later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quick update: the Aup de Verans is running but not the DMC. Must go.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DMC started around lunchtime. Pretty windy at the top, but in the right direction to push you along serpantine.

Serpantine closed towards the end of the flat - forcing a turn down crystal. 15cm or so of powder sitting on top of piste. When the sun broke through it was fabulous.

Grand vans open. Nice skiing down to the first lift up on the other side to come up to come back down tourmaline into Flaine. A little wind blown and scratchy in places near the top, but other than that bloody marvellous.

On the DMC now for one last run.

It's been a great first days ski of the season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well there was a queue of 4 for the first lift out of Carroz this morning, so no-one needed sharp elbows. Pistes were empty all day.

Pistes in great condition everywhere, but an odd choice of lifts open. Molliets was open early then closed to be replaced by Saix Express. Corbalanche closed all day, so a trip to Flaine meant you had to go down Portet to get back to the Tete. Both Plein Soleil chair and drag closed, along with Gron chair.

We skied Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. Marvel was open, which is unheard of this early in the season. The work on the Tete has made it feel much more friendly - as a beginner I hated going up there.

At around 12ish it started snowing heavily and visibility dropped dramatically. Just as we thought our day was almost over, this was quickly replaced by sunshine and cloud, with lighter snow later, so we kept going until our legs gave out.

@UkuleleDave, don't think we've met, but I'll be keeping an eye out for an under-ripe banana over the weekend! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sj1608, we came up grand vans from Flaine in your general direction, but other than coming back up vernant it wasn't obvious that we could go any further without getting stuck. Any ideas?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@UkuleleDave, yes, we thought the lift decisions were nuts, too. Assuming it's the same tomorrow, go down Dolomi (much nicer today than when it's all haystacks, with a worried skier on every bump, which is its usual condition!). From there, continue down past Vernant lift, and on to a piste called Portet. You'll need to take speed lower on Dolomi to do it without poling, but it's not disastrous to pole it. At the bottom of Portet, you will get to the Saix Express (en prevision at the moment, so assume it'll be open tomorrow) which will take you to the Tete de Saix, and from there the world (or, more accurately, Les Carroz, Samoens, and Morillon) is your oyster. We have never seen Corbalanche (the obvious route to the Tete) closed like this, and it makes it difficult unless you know the area.

We'll be looking for that under-ripe banana........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sj1608, brilliant. Thanks. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Amazing day yesterday , skied around morillon expecting the slopes to be quiet, didn’t expect them to be empty..conditions near perfect. New runs and lift in Samoens not yet open , but the re modelling of the area around Tete de saix should make it easier when busy.

Also just woken up to 6 inches of fresh snow in Samoens village.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Amazing day yesterday , skied around morillon expecting the slopes to be quiet, didn’t expect them to be empty..conditions near perfect. New runs and lift in Samoens not yet open , but the re modelling of the area around Tete de saix should make it easier when busy.

Also just woken up to 6 inches of fresh snow in Samoens village.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived yesterday evening and it’s snowed overnight. Plenty of snow at village level. Need to get the bindings on my new skis sorted and then see what’s what. Snowing at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well that was a tough morning. Visibility dreadful - full on whiteout from the top of the DMC down to the bottom of Dessert Blanc. Much the same story from the top of grand vans down towards tete de saix. A bit clearer lower down, but by then the motion sickness had got so bad it was time for me to head home. Goggles kept freezing up, which really didn't help with the disorientation, so by the time I got to tourmaline I was stopping regularly for fear of actually being physically sick! I had to call it a day about 12.30 and take myself off to bed. Never known anything like it.

On the plus side - it's been snowing all day, so fingers crossed for some great skiing again tomorrow.
ski holidays
Well that was a tough morning. Visibility dreadful - full on whiteout from the top of the DMC down to the bottom of Dessert Blanc. Much the same story from the top of grand vans down towards tete de saix. A bit clearer lower down, but by then the motion sickness had got so bad it was time for me to head home. Goggles kept freezing up, which really didn't help with the disorientation, so by the time I got to tourmaline I was stopping regularly for fear of actually being physically sick! I had to call it a day about 12.30 and take myself off to bed. Never known anything like it.

On the plus side - it's been snowing all day, so fingers crossed for some great skiing again tomorrow.
ski holidays
Skied this afternoon after sledging all morning with kids. Stayed in Samoens. Visibility at tete de saix poor but better lower down. Loads and loads of snow. Had a blast.
snow report
Poor visibility but great skiing this morning in Les Carroz. Cannot understand why Molliets lift is not running - meant that a trip to the Tete was compulsory to get over to Morillon. We only went to the Tete once, and were very grateful for all our training that 'you should be able to ski with your feet not your eyes'.

Significantly more snow in all the places that were a bit light on covering yesterday (parts of Tete, Arete, top of Marvel).

Eventually our long day yesterday caught up with us and we had to call it a day earlier than we wanted to. By that stage visibility seemed to be getting worse and the snow was beginning to pile up.

It's still snowing slightly in Les Carroz.

@UkuleleDave, hope you feel better tomorrow.
snow conditions
@UkuleleDave, zero vis hits me like that too. Most unpleasant.

But hardly a surprise today, firmly forecast. Why didn’t you head for the trees? (Or was nothing open?)
snow report
@under a new name, there aren't too many trees in Flaine! Unless things have changed over the last couple of days, there's nothing tree-lined open yet......
ski holidays
@under a new name, @sj1608, Thanks. Yep - a dearth of trees here and by the time I found some over towards Les Carroz I was already feeling bloody awful.

It's never hit me quite like that before, but still looking forward to tomorrow. Last day sadly.
ski holidays
@UkuleleDave, I know conditions are due to be better tomorrow, but in case they aren't you best bets are in Les Carroz and particularly Morillon. The Marvel (5km of well-named green run) in Morillon is tree lined all the way down and also very gentle if you're not feeling great.
snow conditions
@sj1608, Thanks. Sounds like a good plan.
ski holidays
Skied Marvel a couple of times today. Lovely to have good quality snow all the way down and not artificial stuff. Excellent day. Finished up early as kids were tired but sun looks like coming out now for first time in days and wish I was still up there.

More snow forecast for tomorrow so may have a day off to get all my work done so can get back at it Tuesday with hopefully some sun.
ski holidays
Sunday 17th

Sort of skied les carroz this afternoon, well we spent a long lime doing combe, and bits off it, as my son found back on skis hard work. Lots of lifts useful to an inexperienced skier closed, not impressed les carroz...........

Snow is superb, but was rather busy in places.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 5-01-18 22:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Skied Flaine side from the dmc first thing. What a joy when you can see what's going on and know which way up is. Nicely pisted down crystal.

Then we went over to Morillon. Found some moguls at the bottom of Marmottes - just off to the side. Nice bit of practice. Skied a couple of laps down to Morillon on sairon. Again - very nice. Lots of fun to be had around the edges, and some big bits of gentle off piste to try out too.

Then down to Les Carroz before back up and over to Flaine. Some brilliant snow today, but we're heading back home now. Bon ski everyone!
ski holidays
We missed out on Grand Massif today, as we drove over to Avoriaz for the Rock On Snowboard Tour ski test (yes, I know it's a snowboard tour, but there were waaaaaay more skis than snowboards to test).

It's an annual event and I'd highly recommend it for anyone thinking of buying new skis. Day pass was a special price of €20,50.

@UkuleleDave, really glad you enjoyed your last day.

@Zorrac, totally agree about the lifts. It appears that they are short of staff. One day during the week they opened Molliets.....and then closed it because they'd decided to open the Saix Express. rolling eyes
latest report
Monday 18th

Well what did tomorrow bring...lots of superb powder and lots of visibility in the trees, so we just went up the gondola and skied down a variety of routes back to it,

According to cham meteo it will be:

TUESDAY DECEMBER 19
Sunny ‑ cold in the morning ‑ milder on sunny slopes later ‑ windy high up

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 5-01-18 23:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you a very lucky the Gers bowl will open up....and with all this snow it will be THE BEST place in the Alps to ski for that first day (and an exceptional place on any day).
snow report
Sun came out today. Skied around Morillon and it was brilliant. Quiet, sunny, and great snow conditions.
ski holidays
Tuesday 19th

Still lots of superb powder about, some untracked, it is so quiet, like having a ski resort to yourself, especially at lunchtime, so collected my son and took him out then, fantastic conditions to learn in, with no one zooming past, improvement was very marked.

This start reminds me of 2010 /11 when it was like this at the start, and it did not stop in january either.
snow conditions
Had a lovely day yesterday. Stayed local and did LC and Morillion with a stop a Chalet le Clair for lunch. Fab snow and quiet. Think that was the best conditions I've ever skied on Marvel.
snow conditions
Our last day today, very sad to be going home so soon, but back at the end of the month. Just hope we get a nice snow top up between now and then ..........

As @Cheesie168, says Marvel is in amazing condition.
snow conditions
Great day today, kids wanted a break so went out on my own. Sun shining, snow in great condition and so quiet. Skied Dahu then over to Carroz and Morillon. Sairon in great condition and skied portet and Combe as well. Planned to finish up on Marmotte in Samoens but it was so good I had to ski it twice. Wonderful day.
ski holidays
Still really superb conditions, it has warmed up a bit, out with my little lad again so we did not go far and stayed in les carroz, but really amazingly quiet, had plein soleil to ourselves at times, they are getting various closed lifts ready for opening, so probably the last quiet day tomorrow.
ski holidays
I’m so jealous of you all having fun in the snow. We were contemplating Xmas in the Grand Massif as my son is getting married in March when we usually go. so afraid of injuries etc spoiling the day if we go any later than Xmas. Sorry now we didn’t book but were worried about snow cover after the last few years. Enjoy it all of you ...hopefully we will get a sly week in or maybe after the wedding if the snow stays well into March.
latest report
Warmer again today and snow definitely starting to soften lower down towards Samoens 1600. Still great skiing and empty though.
snow report
22nd December

Snow is like cream cheese lower down, ie. down to molliets etc, and out of the sun has gone rather crispy. Off piste north facing snow is still light, but south facing is cruddy now. Timalets was very soft just after the last restaurant on left, but as @Ghanny, said, still rather empty..........

Gron chair opened today, so we did laps around there.

The world arrives tomorrow..........

Update: 9.30pm

Has got seriously mild this evening and the snow is melting very quickly from our balcony.... Confused Sad
ski holidays
Cloudy in the valley but beautiful blue skies up top. Snow still good a bit higher. Bit busier but still relatively quiet. They have opened the new lift. I skied the blue down from Samoens 1600 to it. Some quiet steep parts for a blue and covered with artificial snow all the way. Wasn’t the nicest run I did today. Will be nice when there is better snow.

Great morning. Will be busy tomorrow I guess.
latest report
23rd December

Didn't go far today as took young lad out again, they opened plein soleil chair, so did the rather super in the sun plein soleil blue many times going back up the chair. Then combe down to gron, snow getting rather hard on the steep bit. Finally lou darbes down to combe and home, lou darbes was in the fog, and hard as nails in places, but young lad did it fine, with various others skiing past him and then falling over, which he found amusing.

Lots arrived today, so tomorrow will be busy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy