Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Platform for waxing skis

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used or tried to use a keyboard stand as a base to support skis whilst waxing them? I'm going up to MikeM on the Wirral at the weekend for him to show me how to wax my skis, and I was thinking about what to support them on when I do them myself at home. I've read on here of people using a table, between chairs, between two wooden saw horses, special clamps etc. Then I thought about a keyboard stand. Adjustable height, adjustable gap between the cross members. Add a little pipe lagging to stop the skis slipping and bingo. I know it won't be suitable to tune the edges, but for straight forward waxing, I reckon one would be ideal and they are cheap enough to buy. Here's one for £18. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer%C2%AE-Double-Braced-Keyboard-5-Position-Adjustment/dp/B01C8DHXYC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509387810&sr=8-3&keywords=keyboard+stand&tag=amz07b-21

Your thoughts oh venerable Snowheads?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to was mine on the backs of two dining chairs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just put a newspaper down on the floor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, If I tried to do mine in the house in between two dining room chairs or on the dining room table, I'd be sleeping in the garage for six months. Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whilst actually applying wax it might be ok but when it comes to scraping you need firm support. I'm pretty sure a keyboard stand wouldn't be up to the job.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I scrape using the log I chop kindling on and a workmate, stable enough to get the pressure down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need something sturdy. I use a workmate and a spare floorboard clamped to the top, but even that has a tendency to overbalance when getting to the ends. A wider workmate type thing would work better, otherwise I have to get someone to stand on the brace Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Awdbugga, That's not a bad shout in fairness. Looks a solid enough stand as the locking is a pin and not screw tightening.

You trouble will be stopping your skis from sliding when you scrape and you need it to support within say 12inches of the end of the skis when scrapping or itll tip over.

If you can overcome this I rekon you are onto something fab!

Im surprised the racer kids haven't thought about something like this before.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before I got clamps I used a workmate with an old dining chair and a suitcase at either end to keep the tips supported. Worked well enough, just decided to get clamps as I seem to be collecting skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tubaski, you may be right, but there are other sorts, such as this one. http://www.djmmusic.com/p-3568-tiger-deluxe-z-frame-height-adjusting-keyboard-stand.aspx

As I said to @under a new name, there's no way on god's earth am I going to be able to wax them in the house and there's not a lot of space in my garage, with all my fishing gear and kayak. My workbench is not long enough, so something like this (assuming it's sturdy enough) would be ideal.

Just a thought

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 30-10-17 22:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Awdbugga, but you can make it longer with a solid plank of wood. I’ve always thought something like a sandbag over the bench at the bottom might stop it tipping.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have applied wax on floor with newspaper below when away. Scraped wedged on balcony handrail but be quick as when it gets too cold it's impossible. I know have a long plank rested on two saw horses with a Jaws of Beast vice set on the plank. Perfect. Use the kitchen as my workspace as garage is too cold, but make sure I clean up or I won't be doing it again! Am about to experiment with posh paper towels under the iron to minimise scraping when away.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Awdbugga, result, surely? At least peace and quiet Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Awdbugga, result, surely? At least peace and quiet Twisted Evil

I couldn't possibly comment. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Awdbugga, oh yeah, don’t forget to cover the floor with a dust sheet or something, otherwise you’ll give that a nice coat of wax too, and it will become an ice rink Cool
snow conditions
@endoman, Wax skis in the kitchen!!! Shocked Hell hath no fury like a house proud woman scorned. Not a cat in hells chance. Having said that, I did used to put maggots in the fridge when we first got married, Twisted Evil but that didn't last long.
snow report
@PaulC1984, The pipe lagging foam over the frame should prevent the skis sliding. I use it on the cross bars on my roof rack when carrying my kayak. Without the foam the yak slides all over the place. Tie wrap pipe foam to the cross bars and the yak doesn't slide at all. Worth a go I reckon.
snow conditions
Check out this thread from last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2944303&highlight=bench#2944303 for a cheap and effective solution...
ski holidays
@geoffers, I missed that thread. Looks like RichClark had the same idea. He doesn't say whether he ever got around to trying it.
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:
@endoman, Wax skis in the kitchen!!! Shocked Hell hath no fury like a house proud woman scorned. Not a cat in hells chance. Having said that, I did used to put maggots in the fridge when we first got married, Twisted Evil but that didn't last long.

I'm lucky, we have a big kitchen, can still cook and 6 of us can eat while the ski stuff is all out in place. I must get round to turning the garage into a workshop with some heating. Would be awesome.
snow report
Always an interesting subject, I use an old workmate which does the job, but you could buy one of these for £54 https://www.glisshop.co.uk/waxing_bench/vola/table_de_fartage-8025.html or buy a pair of these for £25.40 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-783160-Metal-Horse-Twin/dp/B000T9XTDC/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1509402821&sr=1-2&keywords=silverline+saw+horse&tag=amz07b-21 .
Glisshop is not the most expensive I have seen but just happened to be the easiest to find quickly
ski holidays
In Jan we had tuning wars in val D'Isere. I thought I was well equipped with iron, wax, files, guides, stones etc, but man opposite upped it another level with portable bench. My efforts on two chairs and the balcony were pathetic, although I did make a point of going out with a beer whenever I saw him waxing and pretended to do something.
snow conditions
@Timc, the Amazon saw horses look a bargain. They already have non slip rubber mats fitted and have an impressive maximum load. Hmm, maybe a re-think.
ski holidays
@endoman, you could up it still further next time and get your butler to tune and wax them for you. wink
ski holidays
Awdbugga wrote:
@endoman, you could up it still further next time and get your butler to tune and wax them for you. wink

Maybe, but I actually find it quite therapeutic, and Jeeves is busy elsewhere.
snow report
@endoman, I'm sure I will find it therapeutic when I get to do it because sad is it may seem, I actually enjoy doing the ironing at home. Weird I know. Mind in neutral, music on, chill.
latest report
Just as a message to anyone who's interested... as a distributor I can obtain 2x0.5m staging decks (used for concert / event stages) for £120+P&P which make super sturdy work benches for things including waxing. Basically an aluminium frame with a plywood top (of the above dimensions) and you just slot 4 equal length scaffold poles into the 4 corners to make legs. The frame is literally about 3" deep and the wood only takes up an inch of that - so the legs can fit inside the underside of the deck and you can store the whole thing in next to no space. Suitably big and heavy that you can give your skis the most rigorous of waxes and it will not move.

That price doesn't really make me any money on it but happy to do it for snowHeads if it helps somebody out. I used one of our rental ones last season to do my skis and it was rock solid.
I hope this doesn't circumvent snowheads trading rules etc.. I'm not really listing them 'for sale' as such just offering to help out

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 31-10-17 1:40; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
@dp, Out of interest do you have a photo??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Basically that but on whatever height legs you like

So obviously for you - these legs would do fine.

And yes before you say it - I use telegraph poles
snow report
I eventually bought a keyboard stand, but an even more solid design.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboard-23-2-35-4-Adjustable-24-6-40-9-62-6-104cm/dp/B01IR0P5IQ/ref=pd_cp_267_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1NHER23RQA7F42G8SNS7&tag=amz07b-21

I put the stand together today and tried it out by placing skis on it. The thing is “rock” solid. It can be adjusted to the perfect height. Also being adjustable width wise, it provides more support towards the tip and tail of the skis, than a workmate and clamps. The arms the skis rest upon have got neoprene rubber on top so the skis don’t slip when you apply pressure. The other plus is that, as there is only one lower cross member, you can get closer to the skis to tune the edges. I placed a ski so it overlapped the arms slightly and could then step in close to it to use my right arm and it would allow me to tune the edges easily.

The only thing I need to do at some point is construct a simple wooden contraption to drop over it, that will take the skis mounted vertically into slots. A lot cheaper than a proper ski work bench or workmate or even ski clamps.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 15-11-17 21:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Awdbugga, I'm confused - you seem to be suggesting that you are tuning the side edges with the skis flat (i.e. bases facing up), and that you would tune the base edge with the ski on edge. Or have I misunderstood?
snow report
Tubaski wrote:
@Awdbugga, I'm confused - you seem to be suggesting that you are tuning the side edges with the skis flat (i.e. bases facing up), and that you would tune the base edge with the ski on edge. Or have I misunderstood?

Just my misuse of the correct terminology. Suffice to say the stand is solid.
ski holidays
Out of interest how are you supporting the middle of the ski when scraping? Unless you were on rock hard GS race skis (which I know you're not!) the ski must flap around like mad being unsupported in the middle?
latest report
I’ve used a 4 section folding ladder in the past, folding the two end sections over to form a bench, then laying the ski on top with protection underneath for the top sheet and bindings
http://www.bigdug.co.uk/workplace-products-equipment-c553/steps-ladders-c3067/ladders-c2913/multi-purpose-ladders-p14957/s22880?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=multi-purpose-ladder-with-removable-platform-extended-length-3560mm-pl&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&k_clickid=m_3805a773-1069-47df-a822-67c836262646_770073299_46108602892_184446425975_pla-314602879107_Google&__ja=tsid:21891%7Ccid:770073299%7Cagid:46108602892%7Ctid:pla-314602879107%7Ccrid:184446425975%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:16852765533505472877%7Cdvc:m%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkciNho7F1wIV1pEbCh2sdA8nEAQYASABEgILJ_D_BwE
ski holidays
dp wrote:
Out of interest how are you supporting the middle of the ski when scraping? Unless you were on rock hard GS race skis (which I know you're not!) the ski must flap around like mad being unsupported in the middle?

Because the width of the stand is adjustable, I've set it so it's at the optimum width for the middle not to flex much, and neither does the tip or tail. Is it perfect? No. But it does the job.
ski holidays
Not cheap but this does an excellent job: http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-tuning-c5/ski-servicing-equipment-c125/ski-benches-vices-servicing-accessories-c74/portable-ski-servicing-wax-bench-p1604
snow conditions
You can try setting up 2 A frame sawhorse stands with a big slad of wood on the top. That gives a pretty stable surface for waxing/scraping. Smile
latest report
joeyg wrote:
You can try setting up 2 A frame sawhorse stands with a big slad of wood on the top. That gives a pretty stable surface for waxing/scraping. Smile

exactly what I do with a proper ski vice on the wood. Very stable.
snow conditions
Awdbugga wrote:
@geoffers, I missed that thread. Looks like RichClark had the same idea. He doesn't say whether he ever got around to trying it.

In the end, i didn't. I bought a Metal Saw Horse and bolted an old shelf board to it.
snow conditions
First go at waxing my skis myself today. Seemed to go OK. No smokey smokey. I'll know for sure next Wednesday at the CF. I have to admit the bench works a treat. Used the keyboard stand with the wooden structure I made. The rubber sheeting on top of the wood helps prevent the ski from sliding; added to which I have a couple of retaining straps that make sure it doesn't budge at all.

For those who are interested, here are the photos of the finished article. Photos aren't brilliant because they were taken with my new phone, (still trying to get the hang of it), but you'll get the idea. I'm crap at DIY, but this didn't turn out too bad for me. Main thing is, it does the job intended just fine and it didn't cost me much at all.

Adjustable height keyboard stand. adjustable keyboard stand<script></script>

Height adjusters - easy to adjust height<script></script>

Wooden platform on stand - wood mounted on stand<script></script>

Rubber to help prevent slipping - rubber prevents slipping<script></script>

Wooden structure designed so it doesn't move on the stand - wood does not slip on bench<script></script>

Positioned for waxing/scraping - Positioned for waxing<script></script>

Positioned for tuning - edge tuning<script></script>

Retaining straps prevent any movement - Retaining Straps<script></script>

Ready to rock and roll - Ready to Rock and Roll<script></script>

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 7-12-17 19:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy