Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calf size on ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
I know I know..... another boot question that has actually been asked but a few years ago now, so thought I would try again to see if any new stuff about. My daughter has huge calfs and just can not get a comfortable boot, without going so big in shoe size it just not safe.

So, what is best boot for calfs (about 18inch in circumference) and any boot fitters want to take this on?!

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A proper/good boot fitter will have a cuff stretching jig specially for this purpose so that the correct size boot can be fitted and then the cuff adjusted to suit the calf size.

The jig that Colin has at Solutions4Feet in Bicester holds both boots so that they can be stretched either independently or together.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't mean to sound negative but 18" calf can't be that big, im not that tall nor am I a gym monster and my calf is 17". Should be fairly easy to get boots almost off the shelf!! But if time and cash available I'm sure a boot fitter won't have much problem at all sorting the correct boot.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pumba - what boots do you have then? Unfortunately never found any straight off shelf.
Spyderjon - yes, seen S4F but was thinking of going dry slope so could ski on them, refit, ski, fit etc as no matter how many times you walk round the shop, as soon as you ski things change big style.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My new atomic hawx have a wide calf. I can rarely get normal knee length boots and these fit me fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pumba, might depend on the size of the foot. I wouldn't be surprised if boots for bigger feet have more space for a bigger calf.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flog873347, has she been trying women’s specific boots? Some (most?) are shorter in height to accommodate a larger, lower calf. 18” is big, but I’m not sure it’s excessive, so a bit of stretching should solve the problem in theory, if the foot is a good fit. This process won’t necessarily cost anything extra.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am pretty slim for a bloke and not very muscley and a mere 5’6” and my calves are 15”...

I struggle to believe 18”is such an issue, unless very small feet?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A good bootfitter is what you need...I have calves approaching 17in and smallish feet that are a complete size different. Colin at S4F managed to sort me out with boots (he called them "sporting" calves)....and I've changed the way I shop for proper shoes too!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well as everyone is saying 18 is not huge I'll start phoning some shops tomorrow and see what they would suggest.... hopefully in the last 4 years boot design has got better...... and wider.

Scarlett - cost isn't really an issue, comfort is!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@homphomp, - what did he sort you with? Like the term sporting as well! I'll call Colin tomorrow. Thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@flog873347, some Heads....but it was some time ago so I suspect that the solution will be different now. Good luck with the search.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flog873347, I've got some Nordics Hell n back in 26.5, like @under a new name, im only 5'6... and a 1/4!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
18" is on the bigger side. I recall CEM saying that men's boots are generally designed for individuals with a calf circumference of 14" or thereabouts.

Two issues: one is physically accommodating the calf within the boot. Second thing each inch of circumference over the calf size the boot designer had in mind will push the knee forward by a further 1/3 inch. That may cause some fun stance problems.

Larger cuff and upright boot are probably the way forward. CEM would be the obvious first port of call.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My wife has 16.5 -17" calfs and she's in atomic livefit boots which she really likes.
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
My new atomic hawx have a wide calf. I can rarely get normal knee length boots and these fit me fine.

I second that. If the Hawx prove to have insufficiently wide calf shafts, try Atomic Magna - they're even bigger.
snow report
@flog873347, an average ski boot with 14 degrees of forward lean is designed to put a person in balance with a calf muscle size 13-14" circumference, for every inch above this the body is pushed forward by 1/3" approx

up to 16" is easy no adjustment needed other than a bit of clip adjustment on most boots, when you get to 18" the cuff of the boot will need to be flared back to prevent the skier being forced forward and inevitably sitting back to compensate, the clips may need to be extended and depending on the calf shape it may be advisable to go into a spiral wrap liner rather than using one with a tongue (which can often dig into the sides of the leg as it is not the right shape) biggest one we have done recently was 21 1/2" that was a bit of a challenge but with some time and a customer who wants help it is always possible
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy