Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to stop goggles slipping off helmet

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just checking out my ski helmet; which arrived today. Is there a knack to keeping goggles from slipping off the helmet, when not using them? The headband stays within the rear clip ok. It's when I take them off and try and mount them on the top front of the helmet, they slip backwards and just dangle. Or is it simply the case that with some goggle/helmet combinations, the googles will just not stay on?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have mine about 50% over the lip of the helmet. Works fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do have a little felt pad of the self adhesive sort that you put under chair legs at the back as my goggles have a buckle which doesn’t quite fit under the clip to restrain them there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I tried that and found it works ok. However, my helmet has a small peak and it digs into the padding at the rear of the googles. It holds them in place because of that, but I thought it may damage the padding at the rear of the goggles.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do the "helmet lip hold" too, hasn't noticeably affected my foam after 4 weeks with on snow with the goggles... It may do in time I guess but probably not worth worrying about too much.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep your goggles on til its goggle and helmet off is easiest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Awdbugga, i really wouldn’t worry.

Anyway, you shouldn’t have your goggles on your helmet other than the walk to the first lift and the walk from the last lift.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all for the advice. "Helmet lip hold" it is then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with @Daveofthemarmottes here, goggles stay on when helmet is on... if helmet comes off goggles go inside it!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A cheap ebay go pro mount does the trick.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm with @Daveofthemarmottes here, goggles stay on when helmet is on...

I think I'm like a lot of people. I wear sunnies if bright....but have goggles on helmet in case of flat light, snow, poor visibility. Only switch to goggles if necessary.
I have no problem getting goggles to stay on helmet, but there's a risk of breakage if doing a headplant. Never happened yet but maybe I've been lucky.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Physio Rock tape works...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Keep your goggles on til its goggle and helmet off is easiest.

+1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
intermediate wrote:
Quote:

I think I'm like a lot of people. I wear sunnies if bright....but have goggles on helmet in case of flat light, snow, poor visibility.

How do you carry your helmet / goggles when you’re wearing sunnies?? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dashed wrote:
intermediate wrote:
Quote:

I think I'm like a lot of people. I wear sunnies if bright....but have goggles on helmet in case of flat light, snow, poor visibility.

On the table, as sunnies should only be worn while enjoying a pint at the side of the piste Cool
snow conditions
Oh yawn. Lots of people wear sunglasses skiing when the sun shines.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
I do have a little felt pad of the self adhesive sort that you put under chair legs at the back as my goggles have a buckle which doesn’t quite fit under the clip to restrain them there.

I've got a GoPro mount doing that

Which is great as it also doubles up as a GoPro mount
snow conditions
@dp, so you have endless boring video ... (any go pro does that by default) ... of sky?

I can show you my holiday pictures if you like?
snow report
@Awdbugga, just keep them on, only time I lift mine is in gondola and never had a problem- just keep the half over the edge and the lip thing combined with rubbery underside of strap sorts it. But never wear sunnys with helmet, goggles for skiing, sunnys for terraces.
snow report
Awdbugga ...and, while you're at it, don't use the non-existent word 'sunnys'.

As you see, snowHeads are not slow to offer a gratuitous reply to a question you didn't ask. wink
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, Even though I don't put my goggles on top often I have these which do a great job of keeping them in place. Bought because the goggle buckle clashed with the clip on the helmet and they were the ideal solution.
ski holidays
Dashed wrote:

If Skiing/Boarding in Sunnies and you're carrying a rucksack in the goggle bag in it, if not most Ski/Boarding jacket have a large "poachers pocket" so in there.
snow report
Quote:

Dashed wrote:

How do you carry your helmet / goggles when you’re wearing sunnies??

I shove mine down the back of my ski pants and do an impression of Rod Stewart circa 1975 on the next few runs wink
snow report
dp wrote
Quote:

I've got a GoPro mount doing that

The elf 'n' safety brigade tut at camera mountings on the top of helmets. Reputed to be a factor in the catastrophic injury sustained by Michael Schumacher. Allegedly headplant fall into a rock at relatively low speed on an innocuous bit of 'between the piste' terrain in Meribel. Camera mounting cracks through helmet and exerts concerted pressure on skull.

Don't know if this true or myth, but common sense tells me not worth risking it. Go Pro on helmet makes you look like one of the teletubbies anyway.
snow conditions
I have no idea what I do, nor have I ever thought about it! Whatever I do hasn't given me any problems.
snow report
@intermediate the health and safety brigade also tut at stickers on helmet, claiming that putting a sticker on it prevents you being able to see underneath the sticker to inspect for damage on your helmet.

Basically, the health and safety brigade ought to question the logic of throwing yourself down the side of a rock-scattered cliff face on a pair of fibreglass planks with only a pile of frozen water separating you and the sharp bits... before telling me whether my stickers and my gopro are going to kill me.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@dp, so you have endless boring video ... (any go pro does that by default) ... of sky?

I can show you my holiday pictures if you like?

I don't put the gopro on it

The mount just stops my goggles coming off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dp wrote:
@intermediate the health and safety brigade also tut at stickers on helmet, claiming that putting a sticker on it prevents you being able to see underneath the sticker to inspect for damage on your helmet.

Basically, the health and safety brigade ought to question the logic of throwing yourself down the side of a rock-scattered cliff face on a pair of fibreglass planks with only a pile of frozen water separating you and the sharp bits... before telling me whether my stickers and my gopro are going to kill me.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
What is wrong with skiing in sunglasses? I swap between them based on the weather conditions. They need to be wrap-around style sunglasses though, to keep the wind out. Whatever I'm not wearing goes in the pocket of my ski jacket. I wear a helmet either way.
snow report
@thelem, Nothing wrong with wearing sunglasses if you want to. It seems only to be the Brits who get their knickers in a twist about it and to take skiing advice or mountain fashion advice from us lot is akin to taking cricket advice from the French or asking a Zulu about cold water survival techniques.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, exactly
ski holidays
@dp,
Quote:

But at least we do it wearing a helmet now, so are entirely safe. A big change from 20 years ago, when you could spot N. Americans a mile off, on European mountains, as they were the only ones wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, @foxtrotzulu, was only trying to have a little banter, no one's going to take fashion advices from me anyway and what little fashion sense I do have takes a distant 3rd place behind function and comfort Smile
latest report
Opinions will differ. If you're going to take your goggles off, then see other threads here for whining about why they always fog up. Just leave them on.

Personally I put the strap under the helmet so you don't need no clips or straps or any of that.

Sunglasses... just more consumer stuff I don't want to carry around, really. Most jackets have a pocket where you could stash goggles, but where I ride people would more likely carry a spare lens for their goggles in there. I use photochromic goggles so I don't need that.

---
I was thinking more that if you could mount GoPro cameras all the way around a helmet, it would make it safer. All that energy absorbing plastic; what's not to like?

Next up you'll be insisting that the GoPro on my surf board is going to take my eye out. There's so much stuff to be scared of.
snow report
But, @philwig, surely sunnies are good for break times beside the helo?
snow conditions
Quote:

on an innocuous bit of 'between the piste' terrain in Meribel.

There was nothing innocuous about that bit between the pistes in Meribel. I was there that day. Although, obviously, not on "that" particular deadly bit
snow report
You can buy clips which stick to the helmet which the strap fits in to retain it and the goggles.
snow report
intermediate wrote:
Don't know if this true or myth,

Myth. Accident investigators said that it wasn't a factor and that rumour only got started after someone close to the family stated their own opinion publicly. Just don't attach them with 2" wood screws.
snow report
@andyrew, was it "just" the exposed rocks as it didn't look terribly steep.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy