Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Ski Socks

Poster: A snowHead
They say you should wear good thin ski socks to your boot fitting.
It's hard to know what good though and there are some very expensive options out there.
I'm looking at Amazon cause they seem a bit better value, should i be getting something like these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00T651DW4/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1509149744&sr=8-15&refinements=p_89%3AHorizon&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ski+socks+mens&tag=amz07b-21

Or can anyone recommend anything?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought new thin socks (to replace my old thick ones) with my new boots from @CEM. To be honest I was expecting to be stung on the price of the socks but they were actually very reasonable, and there was a multibuy offer (buy 3 get 4th free I think)...
https://www.solutions4feet.com/catalogue/accessories/socks
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I assume the Teko Light Cushion and the Monnet Energy Race would be both good thin sock options?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took some tatty old smartwools with holes in the soles for my boot fitting cos they are the thinnest I had. Have since replaced with some new smartwool phd ski light elites. They have a little padding, but are still pretty thin. I got some Falke sk2's last season but they are too thick for the new boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@colly10, yes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought these about a year ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasport-Thermal-Ski-Socks-Turquoise/dp/B01890XTHS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi&tag=amz07b-21

So happy with them, will probably buy another pair or two this year. Medium thickness with some cushioning and compression.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I generally use smartwool phd lites - bought at the right price, are a bargain.

Sportpursuit have some mund ski socks of differing types atm and look very reasonable too, but no idea what they are like.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have Smartwool (not sure of the model) and a few Icebreaker pairs. Both are pretty decent. Also Teko which raijin sports are having a sale on now.

Check out Amazon or the price comparison sites to get a deal.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.decathlon.fr/ski-socks-900-hf-noir-gris-id_8397752.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love my Falke SK4's, well love might be a bit strong but they're nice to wear and quite thin but with a little padding in the right places
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for the Smartwool phd.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Socks ... I must have tried them all.
Tube Socks
Silk Socks
Smart wool Socks
Falke
Bamboo Socks
Hiking Socks

But my favourite socks are
Helly Hanson Marino Ski Socks
I get them from TKMax for £10 a pair
They are probably made just for TKMax because they are
Called "nursery"
I just love them, I'm actually wearing them now, so warm.

I havent been into TKmax yet this season, so I dont know if they will have any this year.

They are a bargain, so just buy a pair and try hem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@djf, another one for the sk4 here but also have the rock and wool from ortovox that is good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm unconvinced about ski socks....

I have a pair I bought for £3 on ebay, a couple pairs in the middle, and a pair that were about £20 and have 'L' and 'R' on them because they're so advanced and high tech you can't wear them on the wrong feet. Never noticed a difference between any of them in use. I even wore the uber-tech ones on the wrong feet once and didn't notice until the end of the day, a lucky escape I reckon.

Ok so I'm a snowboarder, maybe that's it... Can skiers actually tell a good sock from bad in use?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jjams82, If the fit of the Ski Boot is very exact, a thicker sock can make the boot feel too tight....also better socks don't wrinkle or slide down the leg....which can cause bruising.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Ahh that some pretty decent sense. I guess I've been spoilt by snowboard boots.
snow conditions
jjams82 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I guess I've been spoilt by snowboard boots.

You have no idea!! snowHead
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I got a taste of it trying skiing for an hour or two at the oktobertest north... Christ, those things are torture, and seem to weigh as much as my whole boots/board/bindings combined Very Happy
latest report
Smartwool phd for me. Thin ones at the start of the week and medium for later in the week when everything seems a bit looser. Someone somewhere always has a deal for them especially if you’re not too bothered about colour.
snow conditions
Will go with the smartwool phd elite lites or the Falke SK4's, will take whichever gives me a bargain first.
Thanks for the advice
ski holidays
@jjams82 with regards to left and right socks... if you look at your foot you will notice that (unless you are a freak) your feet are not symmetrical. What tends to happen with normal socks is that you end up with material tightly stretched around your big toe, whilst you have excess material around your little toes. So you do tend to find when your socks get holes in, it's in the more tightly stretched areas - IE heel and big toe.

So in some socks, they have L+R because they'll create more room for the bigger parts for your foot. This stops material being over-tight in some places, and overly loose in others. In a sport like skiing where your feet are tight inside the boot and you've not much spare room for excess material, that can be beneficial.

It'd actually be good if all socks were foot-specific really. But it's cheaper to make them all the same.
ski holidays
djf wrote:
I love my Falke SK4's, well love might be a bit strong but they're nice to wear and quite thin but with a little padding in the right places

Another vote for Falke SK4s. Two pairs for me so I can wash and dry a pair whilst I'm wearing the other. Very comfy and warm.
ski holidays
That whole left and right thing on socks does my head in. Not a nice way to start the day trying to get them on the right feet at 5am in the dark with a hangover and no contact lenses in Very Happy
latest report
I too wear SK4's. I once bought some medium thickness SK3's by mistake and they were too painful to wear with foam liners. Keep checking the sales, there seem to be a few bargains around, I don't think there is much difference between the womens and the mens either apart from colour and a different stagger in the sizes.
ski holidays
Daaaam @dp, I'm gonna have to be more careful never to put them on the wrong feet again.
snow conditions
@jjams82, I don't suppose in your slippers... I mean snowboard boots... it makes much difference.

Once you wise up and join the plastic-booted, high speed fraternity; it might do though.
latest report
Another vote for SK4s, they're great.
snow conditions
Went with 3 pairs of SK4's from Amazon germany in the end.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dp wrote:
@jjams82, I don't suppose in your slippers... I mean snowboard boots... it makes much difference.

Once you wise up and join the plastic-booted, high speed fraternity; it might do though.

You saw me at Oktoberfest flapping about on skis like a chicken on ice - I'm Not planning a switch anytime soon:D
latest report
@colly10, They are pretty long lasting socks too. Being thin you can get a really precise fit in your boots, and if over time your liners pack down a bit you can always swap to a cheaper thicker pair to get a couple of months more out of them Toofy Grin
snow conditions
jjams82 wrote:
dp wrote:

You saw me at Oktoberfest flapping about on skis like a chicken on ice - I'm Not planning a switch anytime soon:D

You looked good I thought! You'd pick it up quickly. You're certainly better on skis than I am on a snow-bored
snow conditions
It must've looked a lot better on the outside than it felt on the inside. Too many feet to think about.
ski holidays
Yep, another vote for Falke SK4's.

Caveat, i take the maximum size of my sock, to be equal to the smallest boot size. This give a snug sock avoiding any rumpled up spare sock material as there is no additional space in my boots...

Normal shoes and sock euro 44 or 10UK (44 2/3). Boots 27.0 (UK 8 to 8 1/2 euro 41/42) Thin ski socks, euro 39/41 (UK 6 1/2 to 8 )

This has been working well for years now - basically the sock is at full stretch every time i put it on and i think it aids foot in boot insertion.
latest report
@T_Hee, Also stops wrinkles and creases in the sock. I just drop a couple of Euro sizes from street shoes
latest report
@Scarpa, umm, yes. In my case a full 3 euro sizes. Euro 44 normally, ski sock 39/41.

The sock becomes more of a compression stocking although, please nobody take the inference, that an ordinary sock if snug, can become a 'poor mans energizer' sock as well - it can't !
snow report
dp wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if people have spent all day with their snowboard boots on the wrong feet and not noticed the difference. It's definitely tempting to see if I'm any good at snowboarding just so I can wear the comfy shoes...plus I'm naturally cool and have amazing steeze, so I'm more suited to it anyway.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Well you're already half way there... All you have to do now is pretend you can snowboard and you'll be set. Honestly, that's how I learned, it really works!
snow conditions
I saw some SK4s going for £14.58 but they sold out very quickly. I keep looking all summer.
ski holidays
I also hunt them down in the summer, they can usually be found for £13-ish to £17-ish, excellent price.
snow report
@jjams82, I set myself little goals each year, and this season I'd sort of like to be either snowboard (ish) or pull a decent 180 on skis by the end of EoSB (I've got 4 trips planned and how hard can it be?) If you only have to pretend to ride a 'board then it's looking like the better choice of the two Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy