Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lightweight set-up for a lucky snowHead

Poster: A snowHead
Scott Superguide 88 178's, Dynafit Superlite 2.0 10 bindings & Dynafit TLT7 boots = total weight 2.55kg

Sufficient weight saving to offset the 5 litre flask of tea in his backpack Toofy Grin

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the flask of tea required to stop him blowing away in a stiff breeze? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, I guess a proper length pair might be heavier! wink Only messing - seriously though that's super light, is that set up stable enough for downhill/ freeride pounding like say a Beast 16/ Mercury set up or is it a principally touring and occasional downhill thing?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, I've got plenty of customers who absolutely charge on the Superlite 2.0 bindings but they don't have the elasticity of a Beast 16/Beast 14/Rad 2 and long term durability etc. It's the old adage of "I can do strong, light & cheap, which two do you want?". But the binding only has 2mm of delta angle which really helps on the down.

The Superguide ski is bomber too but as lightweight touring skis go the Superguide isn't super light as it has a nice thick titanal layer underfoot (that blunts my drills rolling eyes) but they ski really well for their weight, especially on hard pack. And sensible money too.

The weight split of the above kit is: boot 1026g, toe/heel binding 173g & ski 1356g. The limiting factor of the above set-up for aggressive skiing is the boot flex which, like most other boots of its type, is probably only a 95/100 flex & it's a bit shorter on the cuff height than a regular boot.

The TLT7 boot fits the owner well straight out of the box & he also skis Vulcans (with Beasts QK'd across Ragnorak & Praxis skis) so if you wanted to go really light on the boot it looks like TLT7 is one to go for to get a Vulcan/Mercury fit. He's the same sole length as me (& you) and I have his permission to try his TLT7's but I haven't had time yet. The TLT7, like all the latest Dynafit boots, also has a built-in Power Insert in the heel to activate the Beast heel which is cool.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks spiffing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
...........The Superguide ski is bomber too but as lightweight touring skis go the Superguide isn't super light as it has a nice thick titanal layer underfoot (that blunts my drills rolling eyes) but they ski really well for their weight, especially on hard pack. And sensible money too.........

I spent a fair number of days on the same skis and I certainly would not describe them as a bomber on hard pack !!!!!

They are a great ski for Spring ski touring, and I've dallied with them in a whole host of conditions, and for me they only come out in when spring ski touring with no chance of deep powder and armed with ski crampons.

And on a separate note, I had no idea about the Marker Kingpins being withdrawn from sale what with the law suit from G3, almost making them obsolete !

Mind you I'm mounting the new Diamir Tectons soon, on my as yet undecided 110 skis*, just hope I've not rushed into things.

Watch this space, mind you I've done loads of days on my Vipec's (second gen) over two seasons (maybe three) and have had no more issues than I'd expect with any binding in a given wide and varied snow pack that one encounters ski touring throughout the season.

@Mike Pow, *ski for Japan as I never found my 110 Cascades in the Summer after four attempts to find it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Weathercam"].

And on a separate note, I had no idea about the Marker Kingpins being withdrawn from sale what with the law suit from G3, almost making them obsolete !

@Mike Pow, *ski for Japan as I never found my 110 Cascades in the Summer after four attempts to find it
Not so .
Kingpins only withdrawn from sale in North America as G3 patent not worldwide. Kingpin on regular sale in Europe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="mishmash"]
Weathercam wrote:

Not so .

Kingpins only withdrawn from sale in North America as G3 patent not worldwide. Kingpin on regular sale in Europe.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mishmash, ok was not obvious in the article I stumbled across.

http://www.powder.com/gear/g3-sues-marker-kingpin-binding/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, The term "bomber" means tough construction. I then went on to say that they ski very well on hardpack considering their weight. You need to hang out with the hipsters a bit more Toofy Grin

G3 settled their patent issue with Marker a month or two ago (which I believe cost Marker a few quid) & Kingpins have been on sale in the US & Canada since then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, anyone reading your first description (before you threw all the caveats in) would be under the impression the SG skis hard pack well. Which is definitely not the case.

Not an issue of not being versed in hipster drawl just based on time on the mountain as opposed to being in a shop 😁
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’ll be skiing some of those this year, with slightly heavier radical 1s, and Scarpa meastrale rs. I’ll let you know how they go, but I was intending to avoid hardback in any case, plus I’ve some Powdairs for bigger days.
Can’t wait.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, hmmm. Not tried the 88s, but the 95s ski hardpack pretty well. Really.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@spyderjon, anyone reading your first description (before you threw all the caveats in) would be under the impression the SG skis hard pack well. Which is definitely not the case.

Not an issue of not being versed in hipster drawl just based on time on the mountain as opposed to being in a shop 😁

Laughing And so it begins NehNeh
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:

@Mike Pow, *ski for Japan as I never found my 110 Cascades in the Summer after four attempts to find it!

Perhaps I'm not the one to ask.

I ski on a 176cm twin tip (116-84-110 off the top of my head).

My students ski on 80-90 mm waist width skis.

Take whatever you enjoy best.
latest report
Quote:

@Weathercam, hmmm. Not tried the 88s, but the 95s ski hardpack pretty well. Really.

Another thumbs up for the SGs, I used my 95s in varied conditions all last season and was really impressed with their edge hold on the hard stuff. So would hardly expect the 88s to be worse.
Regarding the TLT7s, the last of the previous model was too narrow for me but the TLT7s fit like a glove (which is why I picked some up over the summer in an Ekosport pre-season sale ... can't wait to try them). Toofy Grin
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@mishmash, ok was not obvious in the article I stumbled across.

http://www.powder.com/gear/g3-sues-marker-kingpin-binding/

Not surprised if that is the extent of your research!!!
snow conditions
Personally I think this set up is just about optimal for classic late season hut to hut touring. If I start doing more than 3 days a year of that I'll likely buy something similar. As it is my friendly hire shop can provide this kind ski package at a very reasonable rate.
*I have my own boots which may be a little better downhill but are a chunk heavier
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
...........The Superguide ski is bomber too but as lightweight touring skis go the Superguide isn't super light as it has a nice thick titanal layer underfoot (that blunts my drills rolling eyes) but they ski really well for their weight, especially on hard pack. And sensible money too.........

I spent a fair number of days on the same skis and I certainly would not describe them as a bomber on hard pack !!!!!

They are a great ski for Spring ski touring, and I've dallied with them in a whole host of conditions, and for me they only come out in when spring ski touring with no chance of deep powder and armed with ski crampons.

Mind you I'm mounting the new Diamir Tectons soon, on my as yet undecided 110 skis*, just hope I've not rushed into things.

Have to say a number of our testers were impressed with the Superguides at the ski test this year, with a number of comments along the lines of how well they skied pistes for this sort of ski! That's including our resident mountain guide who I think actually bought a pair for his touring trips!

As above, Kingpin quandary has been resolved and they're back on sale now.

As for a Japan powder touring ski, maybe this (or the 104L) may be of interest? http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-114l-2017
snow conditions
Oh, and re. Dynafit boots... Might be worth holding off 'til, say, Feb or so... Blush
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Oh, and re. Dynafit boots... Might be worth holding off 'til, say, Feb or so... Blush

clarky999, I'll have done two weeks in mine by then Cool. Hopefully the wee fella hasn't changed the fit.
latest report
@Weathercam, off topic but have you & Ken received your sample skeats from the US yet?
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

clarky999, I'll have done two weeks in mine by then Cool. Hopefully the wee fella hasn't changed the fit.

Nice! Looking forward to trying a pair too, but won't be 'til after ISPO. Interested to hear your thoughts though!

(also Laughing at 'the wee fella' Laughing True though!)
ski holidays
@clarky999, they better be good as I sold my back-up pair of Vulcans in the summer! And they better be green or I'll need new trousers Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Just had my suspicions confirmed. It was the mention of tea.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Yes, Patrick sent me a set each a couple of weeks ago, took 5 days from USA! He'll be sending a pair of the narrower model once he's produced them, look forward to trying them Very Happy
snow report
@spyderjon, looking forward to trying out my 95's exactly 4 weeks from today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:

clarky999 wrote:

Nice! Looking forward to trying a pair too, but won't be 'til after ISPO. Interested to hear your thoughts though!

@clarky999, they better be good as I sold my back-up pair of Vulcans in the summer! And they better be green or I'll need new trousers Toofy Grin

What's happening with Dynafit boots after Feb? I'm looking at getting some Vulcans soon, should i be aware of anything or hold off?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@spyderjon, looking forward to trying out my 95's exactly 4 weeks from today.

Pre season bash? Let me know if you want to try them out going uphill and are looking for someone to join you.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:

Colour has changed from the pre-production samples. Latest version are 'Dynafit Magenta' Is okay though, Dynafit are releasing a coordinating outfit in magenta and green - Will look great on you.
snow report
Oceanic wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Colour has changed from the pre-production samples. Latest version are 'Dynafit Magenta' Is okay though, Dynafit are releasing a coordinating outfit in magenta and green - Will look great on you.

Cool
snow conditions
Not jealous or anything!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy