Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove finger loops; what are they for?

Poster: A snowHead
I was browsing the glove section of InterSport and noticed that a lot of the models have a little leather loop on the little or ring finger (pictured). Looks like a good way to get your finger caught on something. What is it for?

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Attaching sparklers to make your jazz hand technique more impressive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hanging your gloves from a clip open end down, so they don’t fill up with snow, if it’s snowing.

Hestra’s usually come with with the clip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clipping the gloves to something, such as a backpack, jacket etc. The loop is on the fingers to the glove hangs down so snow can't get in.

But there is a snowHead who uses them for attaching small fireworks to when he flaps his hands around. Best avoided.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup, most climbing gloves have these. Very useful for hanging your gloves in spindrift avlanches or in heavy blizzards.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, ....derives from climbing, as Addict and RobR state, you whack a crab (carabiner) through the loops then hang the gloves on your climbing harness, the loop is on the finger end so as stated they hang downwards and do not collect rain or snow - and then you leave it too late on the belay and wind up with frozen fingers which then means that when you unclip the crab, you fumble with the gloves, drop one down the face, and, in trying to grab that one, drop the other one and the crab too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a belay loop for emergency abseils
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, ps I have never accidentally caught anything on the loops in 30 years of using guide gloves (cue for something stupid happening next week)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa,
Yup, did exactly this hanging from a bolt belay during an ascent eh EMHM Cascade at Rive Gauche, Argentiere yesterday. Not quite sure how my gloves still end up full of snow and sodden.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HammondR, ...you're climbing upside down?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah okay; thanks. Unless a chairlift breaks down, I don't intend to do much climbing this week, so I'm not too jealous that my gloves don't have them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar,
Quote:

But there is a snowHead who uses them for attaching small fireworks to when he flaps his hands around.

Now let me see, can I think of a snowHead who loves fireworks...? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a small krab on my rucksack strap, very handy just for keeping the gloves in one place when in huts etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa, ...I have a large HM crab on my skiing sack...great for kids helmets, their gloves etc when moving from car to lift...I used to have a spring gate rather than a screw gate and idly thought hmmm that might clip onto a chair and stop me getting off....but that's really unlikely...so later that week it clipped to the back of an antiquated chair and held me tight...lots of panic-fumbling and just managed to get the sack off and the crab released, only to have the crab ping off into deep snow. Lesson learned...screw gate now on the back of the sack....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, until the screwgate turns itself sideways and jams firmly in... Had it happen (fortunately not on a chairlift). Ditto anything attached to it getting caught fast.
I am an avid crab user - on gloves, sacs, phone; anything in pockets is crabbed to zip loops, etc - but I'll only use the little colourful cheapy ones, screw or hinge. They normally hold together well for normal use but will definitely rip apart under any force.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, Yup, I use a cheap thin model and have it on the front of my shoulder strap, pretty handy to reach.

@valais2, Scary Shocked
latest report
@Scarpa, ...yes...and extremely stupid on my part...live (just) and learn (a bit)

I did manage to think through what a friend does, which is have a couple of spring-gates on the FRONT loops of his sack - in a perfect place to break your teeth off in any incident...at least I managed to avoid that....
latest report
@valais2, God yeah, if they flick up hard in a crash Shocked
snow report
I use mitts, which (checks last two pairs..) have the loop on the back of the palm. I never bothered with the loops, although it's more obvious what they're for on mitts.

Crabs? I assumed that those were fashion accessories like the radios with the long antennae and the ice axes you see people hanging around in ski resort cafes with wink
latest report
Re: crabs, if you are not climbing and want to avoid you/your kit being accidentally clipped onto things you should probably just use double-ended boltsnaps.

Crabs (particularly spring gated ones ) are referred to as "suicide clips" in the scuba diving community for good reason.
snow conditions
Yup, on the outside of a rucksack I only use the tiny weak ones, something that would break under a couple of kilos of pressure but can hold a pair of gloves.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy