Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At what age did you start to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I started in my early thirties but wish I’d found it earlier. I was tempted by a friend to join them for their annual trip and never looked back. I’ve heard many comments about people who don’t enjoy skiing and the general feeling is that they just don’t get it. I don’t understand what’s to get. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
School trip when I was 15. I don’t think showed much aptitude then. One or two trips in late teens early twenties, those ghastly boots, long skis, and not much more till we started taking the kids 9 11 and 13 (old nowadays!), when I must have been 40.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... about 4 or 5 ...

Can't really remember the learning process. Do remember my first carved turn though!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
About 30 I think when we went on our first holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
26 was first time on skis and first ski holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
24 of of us, mostly lawyers and their mates in 2 chalets next door to each other with overspill in a local hotel in LDA. It was a riot. The duty free gin (Gordon's export strength) was guzzled on the first night, mainly by me I think, and my first on snow ski lesson was consequently a bit of a disaster.
Wish I had learned as a kid though. When the annual school ski trip was mentioned it never occurred to me to see if I could go as I knew my folks (or my friends' parents) could never have afforded such a inessential jolly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fifty Eight!

Skied twice a year since January 15. Three trips booked for '18. Obsessed isn't over stating it.

CG
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apart from a couple of early abortive attempts, at the age of 27. But I only started learning how to ski properly, with focused tuition, about 7 years ago (I'm now almost 71) and now there's no stopping me. Thank you snowHeads and Inside Out Skiing!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First trip at 24, and hooked from the first day.

The important thing is your first experience, which I think determines your future or otherwise on snow. I know a few who had a terrible first trip and vowed never to ski again. For some it was too hot, some too cold, and others they had all the coordination of bamby on ice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliegolf, Seems par for the course. Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
25 I think, apart from one afternoon when I was about 16. One week the first year, one week the next, two the one after, three the one after that... sadly I haven't been able to keep following the fibonacci sequence but I do spend pretty much all of my annual leave on ski trips these days.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliegolf, snap! Fifty eight for me as well!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski obsession: how do you make a small fortune from skiing? Easy, start with a large fortune Very Happy

Worth it and more! Wifey is hooked too, and we're gong to do a season somewhere in France when she retires in a couple of years.

CG
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
13. School ski trip-cost £43 which was about 2 weeks wages for my Dad back then - how my parents found the money I really don't know. Was instantly hooked and got a paper round and weekend job to pay for myself in future years.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
13. School ski trip-cost £43 which was about 2 weeks wages for my Dad back then - how my parents found the money I really don't know. Was instantly hooked and got a paper round and weekend job to pay for myself in future years.
snow report
14 I used to go to Aviemore with my parents in easter holidays and saw all the folk going around with skis and went up to mountain café and watched them. So the next year I saved up my Saturday job money and had a week of lessons, no proper clothes though, an old anorack a pair of jeans and leg warmers, I looked a proper tragedy.
But I loved it so much that I kept saving and the following year we went up and I bought the whole kit and had a fab ski suit from C&As and my cousin knitted me a jumper and matching hat. I had another week of lessons and have skied ever since, 37 years.
snow conditions
15 - 50p a go at Rossendale.
Charliegolf wrote:
... how do you make a small fortune from skiing? Easy, start with a large fortune Very Happy ....

In my case it's the opposite - I noticed back then that skiing was mostly rich people, so I thought I'd better make some money.
latest report
9. Went on 4 school trips between ages 9 and 16. Then a couple of Uni trips, then a season straight after Uni. Then a gaping big black hole for over 10 years until I could afford to go again. Trips were sporadic until about 8 years ago when post-cancer I stopped caring whether I could afford it or not...

Now I live here...
snow report
35 - Annual company Ski trip to Leogang.

Been obsessed ever since...trying to introduce all my family to it : - D

Getting marrried in Saalbach in Feb 18, and have 3 trips (hopefully 4) booked for next year.
snow conditions
27 was my first time on skis, only really learnt when I went on a trip to La Plagne a few years later though. Then the bug really bit.
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, It’s stories like this that my post was aimed at. Good for you. Very Happy
ski holidays
I was 12 (nearly 35 years ago!) A long weekend in Aviemore the week before a school trip to a tiny French resort in the shadow of Mont Blanc.
snow report
At 15 my parents said if I could afford it I could go with friends.. I assume they never thought I'd get the money together, but I got an office cleaning job after school and saved up enough to go to Val d'Isere with a couple of mates. It was awesome.
snow conditions
37 (now 41)finally convinced by my wife, obsessed since then.
ski holidays
30 hooked from the first day.

Now 70 and looking forward to 3 weeks on the white stuff next Feb based out of Salt Lake City.
ski holidays
Started skiing 1996 at 28, my brother convinced me to go on a ski trip although I was totally against going on a "cold holiday".
Moved to Austria in 2000.
Started skiing offpiste around 2005.
Started ski touring 2006.
snow report
Four, when growing up in Austria. Had a fairly long hole when moved back to Scotland at age 17, only skied in Scotland a couple of times. Then got offered a job in Munich at 25 and have not looked back Madeye-Smiley
snow report
My wife/ family clubbed together to get me an experience day.... driving a tank.
I have no idea why they thought that was something I wanted to do! After much procrastination about booking the tank driving I discovered I could trade the experience in for anything to the same value from the companies website. Managed to swap it for 6 lessons at Skiplex (I'd always wanted to try skiing, but never thought I could afford it) and afternoon tea with the missus at a posh hotel. So she wasn't too upset I swapped it out.
I was hooked immediately and bought her lessons for Christmas that year.
I think she realises now how lucky she is - had things gone to plan there would be a tank on the drive now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too old, about 45/46, 13 years ago. Made up for lost time though, 2 full seasons and 2 half seasons since I took early retirement 4 years ago, about 35 weeks before that Very Happy
snow conditions
@Steilhang, you lightweight. I started sking around 4 in Scotland!
ski holidays
@under a new name, yep, I confess to being a lightweight. But back then we had leather boots and tbh I can not imagine what skiing in leather boots in horizontal rain with clothes that are not waterproof must be like Shocked
latest report
I skied in Scotland when the TV screens in the lift station were stating gusts up to 119 mph. With the wind in your face, you had to adopt a tuck position downhill just to move anywhere.
snow report
Although according to the Crystal pub quiz I did in Scheffau last season it's not called a tuck position.
snow report
30...and my 31st birthday was in the middle of the Crystal Learn to ski week
snow conditions
Probably at about 6. My Dad ran school ski trips back in the 70's and I tagged along sometimes.
snow report
10 years ago at 60 - it was on my retirement bucket list and I became addicted - but regrettably heading for ski retirement Sad Sad
snow conditions
6 or 7.
I don't remember much of that trip to Cervinia apart from endless sidestepping up the beginner slope, tobogganing/sledging with my Dad and getting stuck in a snowdrift.
Hideously addicted since then although have missed a few seasons due to various injuries!
latest report
24 Y/O for me 25 years ago now (25th birthday whilst in val thorens), I was hooked and it was a truly life changing experience, as it eventually led me to working in the alps and meeting my now wife and having the sprogs Toofy Grin

was supposed to go a few years before with one of my best friends and then flatmate, but had to abandon those plans as he was involved in a skiing accident a few weeks previous, and spent several weeks in Grenoble hospital before being transported back to blighty.

school ski trips were not on the radar for me or my siblings, could just about manage camping trips to the south coast, many years before camping became fashionable.
snow report
27, first year was a bit hairy, but I thought I would give it a second chance, and am addicted since.
snow report
Started at 8, skied until 14, then horses and girls took over, had a break until I was 18 when I realised Skiing was more fun and less hassle and have been at it since. Do wish I hadn't stopped for those few years in between, but hey ho
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy