Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Modern fitness technology

Poster: A snowHead
Let's face it most fitness machines probably end up as expensive clothes hangers in the garage, cellar or heaven forbid the lounge. Modern techology is making them more interesting (read less boring) reducing that hamster on a wheel feeling.

In the other thread (exercise, fitness and excuses wink ) some people started posting some tasty fitness equipment.

The two bits of modern fitness kit I use on almost on a daily basis (at this time of year) are a 9 year old Vision Fitness X6200 HRT cross trainer and a Polar V800 fitness watch.
The cross trainer has many different programs (e.g. fat, burn, hill, Intervals, glut burn) also works forwards and backwards providing an all over body workout. Some programs are even pulse controlled. The polar watch logs many aspects (e.g. calories, pulse, GPS when out doors) and just by hooking it up to computer or smartphone it down loads everything logged to a fitness app (Polar Flow). This app displays a lot (charts, maps, current recovery status - undertrained/balanced/overtrained) helping me to stay in the right zone to improve fitness. It also allows me to determine how my level of fitness compares to last year or my personal best, I'm motivated to compete with myself.
On top of that I have a stereo and smart TV to try and reduce the boredom even further.

The crosstrainer has needed to be repared twice already and will probably need to be replaced sooner rather than later so looking for ideas.

Would be interested to hear what fitness technology works for you, what you got, what you thinking about getting, what have you seen that might be the next step?

Currently thinking about about a Bowflex maxtrainer although not sure if the movement of that or a conventional cross trainer would be best to get me fit for the ski touring season.
http://www.bowflex.com/max-trainer/

Also thought a recumbent cycle trainer would be good for those who spend a lot on time on the computer so you could cycle and surf (the web) at the same time - anyone do this?

At the other end of the scale, anyone use low tech stuff at home on a regular basis? (e.g. skiping rope, sling trainer, slide trainer etc)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the gym I go to, as well as the usual Crosstrainer/Bike/Treadmill....I like this machine, which also catches your abductors/adductors:

http://youtube.com/v/q2HoonpI5fQ
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found Zwift makes indoor cycling so much more enjoyable. Social cycling, group rides, races, group workouts and they've recently added running.

http://zwift.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I purchased a cross trainer in 2010 for about £99 from Argos. After a few years it needed certain parts to be taken apart, cleaned and oiled otherwise it would sqeak loudly when in use. Just recently (this summer), while in use the metal bit which holds the footrest snapped. Not really repairable, and not salvagable for the price. 7 years regular use, it has been a very good buy. It did not have any fancy technology on it (It did have some strange measuring thing, which I took off as it was inaccurate and I did not use it anyway). So I have taken it all apart now, and I have some metal cutting discs for an angle grinder and I intend to use the base of the cross trainer as a support for a solar panel eventually. (when I get round to buying one)

I also have a heart monitor and watch which I purchased in 2004 for £20. It still works, but the batteries need changing every now and then.

Since the cross trainer broke, I have considered buying one off ebay for about £75, similar but with a seat as well (so you can use it like a bike as well as a cross trainer)

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elliptical-Cross-Trainer-Bike-2-in-1-Home-Workout-Cycle-Trainer/302307622086?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

However, I have instead used an old bouncer (a mini trampoline) as a warm up before I go for a jog. It has some benefits for skiing, as it tends to work out the muscles you use when skiing downhill (especially if you twist and turn when jumping on it). I am still thinking about the cross trainer, but for the moment I have not broken the bouncer yet (which itself is very very old and needed repairing once or twice before)

It is a bit like this, although a different brand:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Inch-Mini-Trampoline-Fitness-Exercise-Workout-Adult-Unwind-Bounce-De-stress-/122751403933?epid=2254851733&hash=item1c948dc79d:g:rd8AAOSwNGhZ31dL

Actually, this is the same brand and model:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supertramp-PT-Bouncer-mini-exercise-trampoline-trampolette-/253211590923?hash=item3af496410b:g:aH0AAOSwjghZ0QVV

I have noticed that these are meant for children. I am 70 kg and it seems to be fine with my gentle bouncing.

I also use resistance bands, which can be attached you your legs and jammed in doors. This provides some resistance strength training for legs and also I use them for resistance stretching (particularly of hamstrings) I think they cost about £10 many years ago.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11pcs-Exercise-Resistance-Band-Set-Yoga-Fitness-Pilates-Workout-Training-Bands-/262512532774?epid=1640410048&hash=item3d1ef75d26:g:sFkAAOSwbYZXeT1K

this is similar but a different brand. Prices do not change much in this market...

Sorry, I have no time for high tech gadgets which are not better for you than a few circuits of squats, press ups, sit ups and back lifts.

NehNeh
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If its not in the gym I keep it simple, body weight exercises, Plyametrics and bands.

Its all year round and not just leading up to holidays.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Old Fartbag, Infomercial marketing nonsense, I'm sure it helps in some situations like any any fitness machine but it's no miracle cure. The guy on the video makes it sound like the answer to all your fitness needs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Infomercial marketing nonsense, I'm sure it helps in some situations like any any fitness machine but it's no miracle cure. The guy on the video makes it sound like the answer to all your fitness needs.

I never said it was a miracle solution....I only posted the video to show the operation of the machine, which was easier than describing it. There are very few aerobic machines that work the inside/outside of the legs....which is the only reason I mentioned it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, I didn't say you did, I was referring to the guy on the video. Sorry if my post was unclear in that respect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The most useful bit of kit i've found for pre-season training is the Bosu ball. Standing on one of those and doing squats really concentrates the core muscles and works the same muscle sets that I feel I use snowboarding, and replicates the stance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I didn't say you did, I was referring to the guy on the video. Sorry if my post was unclear in that respect.

No probs.....I happen to agree about the guy's ott b/s....which is a pity, as the machine is actually quite effective and very tough when you first start to use it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always use a foam roller after exercise, to release any tightness, as well as stretching, some yoga positions, and resistance stretching. I cannot emphasise enough, how good resistance stretching is for hamstrings.

Do it after exercise when your muscles are warm and you are sweating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zwift Looks great.

BOSU, resistance bands and trampoline are are good calls, have BOSU and bands am thinking about about getting a small trampoline.

@Bigtipper,
Glad you brought hamstraings up as I wanted to discuss them - will start another thread just for that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As sited in the new hamstring strand, Athlean-X is a great resource, and his actual program that you can purchase is worth every penny for me so far, great for skiing or any other sport. As every exercise day is different, it is very enjoyable and easier to stick to than just your own routine in the gym... According to him, long monotonous cardio (machine) exercises are not the best use of time. His program has two conditioning sessions every week, all mostly based on high intensity training, which has tremendous health benefits (cardiovascular, weight control, growth hormone boost, brain derived neurotropic factor, etc etc.) and again for skiing is excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
I found Zwift makes indoor cycling so much more enjoyable. Social cycling, group rides, races, group workouts and they've recently added running.

http://zwift.com/

That's what I always thought to be the right direction to go to...

Looks like they're in the software not the hardware. An integrated virtual reality glasses would be a nice add-on.

Add a variable speed fan to simulate the wind you're battling about, it ALMOST feel like a real thing!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I only keep count of how many times a week i go to the gym or go for a run. Even on equipment with nice tech i usually throw a towel over the display, and think of skiing 😉
ski holidays
Given knee can't take running or hi-impact stuff- had to stop hit training last year- I'm about to buy a gadget. ProForm 7.0 Elliptical Cross Trainer from decathlon feels really solid and pretty good value at £299- anyone got one or recommend anything better?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy