Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
FrediKanoute wrote:
Just a question looking ahead to 2018/19. Has anyone had experience staying either in the Altiport or Altitude 1600 areas of Meribel and trying to get on the bus in the morning. We have 3 we need to get to ski school and whilst 2 could probably ski down to the La Chaudanne, the third couldn't. Just thinking about the logistics of whether saving some cash and staying there is worth the hassle or is actually feasible. We would be staying during the half term in Feb so peak time.

Last season we stayed about half way between 1600 and La Chaudanne and walked it every morning - about 40 mins including picking the ski's up.

Getting on the bus at the alitport should be no problem as it is the start of the line. By the time it is getting down to 1600 it may be getting fairly full.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@FrediKanoute, you've got much more tolerance for walking than I have, sorry I can't help with your question. The other day I walked the 4-5 miles to St Martin in walking boots, expecting to get the bus back. How annoying when I found the service had finished the previous day and had to walk the return as well.

In Val Tho the Peclet was working again this morning but stopped as I was in the line up. Wondered how reliable their fix is and sure enough by the time I has skied down it has stopped again and lifties crawling over the pylons near the base station.

Snow above 2500m quite good but below that it's soggy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a brilliant day yesterday in Les Menuires. We were there for 9.30 and headed to Ia Masse. We only went as it was the last day of their season, so expected to do only a couple of slush runs then head back to the heights of Val Thorens.

What a surprise! Sunshine, blue skies, great snow and deserted runs! We had the place to ourselves and were still skiing untracked (very soft) corduroy to Bruyeres at 3pm Very Happy (with no other skiers in sight). The runs off Becca Chair and Roc 1 were also surprisingly good, to the extent that we stayed there til 3.30 pm.

Mont De La Chambe piste back to VT was decent as well, but the Montaulever Traverse was a bit of a sticky, stop start shocker Shocked

All in all a great day! Very Happy

Unfortunately today is a bit of a contrast. Blowing a gale in Val T and decent snow is hard to come by. We've been wind blasted on most chairs and blown back up most runs.
Its still better than not skiing but weve encountered a lot more sticky snow than on previous days. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^^Amazing just how localised the weather can get. A(nother) great day in Espace Killy (only about 50km away from Val Thorens as the crow flies) with no wind issues as high as the top of Le Fornet glacier and no sticky snow. Plenty of soft stuff though - with a mushfest down to Les Boisses (1800m) late pm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I didn’t find Val Thorens too bad, esp in the morning (although it’s our first day, and am aware the previous few days looked much better!) - we only had a couple of issues with wind (at the top of Peclet and Grand Fond).

The run down from Peclet was superb, and the conditions in Orelle were fantastic (and quiet!).

However, by early afternoon the stickiness mentioned by @Bergmeister was kicking in and it wasn’t nice at all. My girlfriend fell heavily in the stop start stickiness on Moraine so we called it a day about 2pm.

Today could be a different story - really high winds forecast, and so am expecting lots of lift closures. Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowrider wrote:
FrediKanoute wrote:
Just a question looking ahead to 2018/19. Has anyone had experience staying either in the Altiport or Altitude 1600 areas of Meribel and trying to get on the bus in the morning. We have 3 we need to get to ski school and whilst 2 could probably ski down to the La Chaudanne, the third couldn't. Just thinking about the logistics of whether saving some cash and staying there is worth the hassle or is actually feasible. We would be staying during the half term in Feb so peak time.

Last season we stayed about half way between 1600 and La Chaudanne and walked it every morning - about 40 mins including picking the ski's up.

Getting on the bus at the alitport should be no problem as it is the start of the line. By the time it is getting down to 1600 it may be getting fairly full.

Thanks, that is my concern. by the time it gets to 1600, it will be full. Hmmmm, may need to re-think strategy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To guarantee a seat at 1600 you need to get up early enough to catch the bus on the way up and ride it up to the altiport and back down again. Thats about a 30 minute journey.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or if you want to be super cunning, catch the Belvedere bus to the Allodis, walk / ski across to Rhodos mid station and get on Rhodos down when it opens at 9am and you are in the Chaudanne at 9.05am. Not much room for error for 9.15 ski school though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The early buses are used by workers, they won't be empty going uphill.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A fantastic day yesterday in Val T!

Temperatures dropped substantially and it was -2C at the top of Orelle. However, that meant great snow conditions all day, with sunny intervals. Although we encountered some fierce wind (again rolling eyes) the underfoot conditions more than made up for it, with nice grippy snow down to about 2400m.

We've awoken to fog today though... Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very jealous, @Bergmeister!! We left VT at 10am yesterday and it becoming clear that it was going to be a glorious day with good temps, great sun and a drop of fresh overnight snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Info on the new lift work going on this summer:

https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2018/05/24/latest-on-the-new-lifts-going-in-across-the-3-valleys-during-summer-2018/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Little Martin, very welcome imminent upgrades to facilities and mountain uplift out of Courchevel Village (1550) and Le Praz.
Good to see a chunk our lift pass money being invested in better infrastructure snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that some of the stuff in Le Praz is preparation for the 2023 Alpine World Championships.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I imagine the bozel / le bon lift has something to do with that too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy