Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Suisses definitely shut from tomorrow. Have just asked the liftie.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevew wrote:
I seem to recall that you can get across to the top of Vizelle from Sauliere by taking the track over to it that also allows access to Pylones. Did it once when Vizelle wasn't open and then did Suisse.
You can but you'd have to hike up the last bit. Obviously if all three lifts that access it are closed, then it won't be pisted, patrolled etc and is officially closed. Not that that ever stops anyone in France still skiing a run. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kitenski, LT is 100% shut. Even the ski lodge is closing tonight which is annoying. It used to stay open for a few days after the lifts shut to still serve seasonnaires. Good job my fridge is full. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevew wrote:
I seem to recall that you can get across to the top of Vizelle from Sauliere by taking the track over to it that also allows access to Pylones. Did it once when Vizelle wasn't open and then did Suisse.

If you mean the track that contours around the side of the top of the Saulire bowl, it allows access to M and Pylones, but not direct to Suisses - you would need to drop in from the ridge.

You could get to the Suisse piste by just walking up 100m from the start of that track to the top of Vizelle - but of course you may find that the everything has been removed (sign posts, piste markers, poles marking hidden rocks etc).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still lots of good snow around Courchevel yesterday afternoon. Grand Boisses good over in 1650. Very quiet on slopes, even just above 1850 centre.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm surprised they didn't extend the season by a week or two. That said webcam images of the Meribel valley show much of the south facing snow is already gone despite the great season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FrediKanoute, Came back on Saturday, pistes are still in great nick if a tad soft in the afternoon at Village level.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some nice skiing available all day today around LM and VT. Big improvement on the heavy gloop of yesterday. Clear skies should mean that tomorrow is also good. Piste du jour for me was Boismint. December at the top, March at the bottom and much flatter than usual. A whole season in one run. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On Monday, Jerusalem was still fine ‘til half way point and completely empty. Worth doing for lovely roller coaster run, then Corbeleys restaurant, which is open all this week.

Tuesday was Orelle day mostly and snow in great condition until about 2.30pm.
Orelle side still seems to have good base, didn’t see any rocks or grass poking through. Care needed off pistes though, with rising temps causing potential slides.
Restaurant at bottom lift hub was sunbathing scene from 12 onwards.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great conditions in Courchevel this morning, just a shame they only have 4 lifts open... on one hand I can understand it - hotels are shut so no clients so cut lifts right down, on the other hand if they pressured more hotels to stay open to the end, or kept more lifts running to the end then maybe they would have more clients..!!

Great skiing on all the Saulire/Vizelle runs, just a matter of timing it right re softness...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^^^ This kind of sorts the question of access to Suisses out, markers still out must make it legit Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vizelle was open, suisses, marmottes, m, combe des pylones etc etc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevew wrote:
^^^ This kind of sorts the question of access to Suisses out, markers still out must make it legit Very Happy
They've reopened Vizelle but only until 1pm. I'm on it now. Must have been put under pressure, it was definitely shut on Monday when I was there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so my long weekend of t-shirt skiing in the sunshine in Val Thorens this weekend, may not be so sunny after all! :/ Oh well, that's the way the weather gods roll, still can't wait!

How are conditions looking in VT? Orelle still open?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Almost all runs are open but not all lifts. Peclet looks doomed which is a pity as the glacier chair is one of the best at end of season and now you can't access it.

Orelle still open but softening before VT. Runs off the Caron and Grand Fond holding up best.

LM good in the morning but closes Friday so depends when your weekend starts. Still plenty of good skiing till about 3pm after which everything is heavy.
ski holidays
Cheers @Raceplate (again! Smile )

Shame about Peclet, is it just the warmer weather effecting it? (I assumed the runs on the plein sud side would be first to go).

First day skiing on sat so will miss LM, which is a shame. Planning on skiing most of the day and then having a long late lunch from about 3pm so hopefully it’ll all work out nicely!
ski holidays
Peclet's broken down. Been shut for a week and doesn't look like reopening. The cabins were vibrating quite badly for a couple of days beforehand which is definitely not normal so there's obviously something wrong. Pity because glacier chair is very often my absolute last run of the season - I love the view from up there.
ski holidays
That is a real shame, it’s a lovely run from the top all the way back into town.
snow report
I called at the Peclet Bottom station today to ask the ski patrol about the lift. The patroller i spoke to said it should be open tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Great skiing in the sun today. Some excellent north facing pistes and surprisingly good snow for most of the day. Lots of heavy, slushy stuff later but mitigated by the slush moguls. Great fun! Very Happy
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
I called at the Peclet Bottom station today to ask the ski patrol about the lift. The patroller i spoke to said it should be open tomorrow.

Nice one. Let's hope so! Very Happy
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Planning on skiing most of the day and then having a long late lunch from about 3pm so hopefully it’ll all work out nicely!

Perfectly good plan. I'm still getting about 10k vertical/day going out at 10am and knocking off around 4pm. Would love to sack it off at 3pm and get smashed but I have to drive back to LT... Sad
ski holidays
Anybody wanting an independent late season blast VT is open till the 8th of May you will have the area to yourselves. We are on a Club Med trip and they close this weekend. Had some great skiing today over in the 4th valley, some good spring snow high up and a bit of a slush fest lower down with lovely blue skies meaning great definition. Overall good late season conditions. Lobster linguine for lunch sat outside in t shirts beats sat in an office.
😎⛷️👍
ski holidays
on the courchevel facebook page:

Quote:
For the first time in Courchevel, we are trying the Snowfarming ❄️❄️
The principle: 20000 cubic metres of snow have been stored under insulation panels and a special tarp on the Emile Allais racing stadium for the next Ladies Alpine Ski World Cup in December.
It should remain 15000 cubic metres at the end of November Wink

https://www.facebook.com/courchevel/?ref=br_rs

They are covering it with what looks like polystyrene and a white tarp
snow report
Peclet still shut...
latest report
Conditions held up well today. Bit more wind helped to keep it cold a bit longer. High parts of VT still pretty decent at 4pm.
snow report
Snowbandit56,

Sounds like a great day (except for the lobster wink )
latest report
Looks like a right mix of weather for my long weekend from sun to thunder to snow and high winds!

We coming in a hire car and have requested winter tyres but am now thinking of requesting chains as well as I’m aware that there is potential for a bit of snow when we leave on Monday. However, in case the rental company can’t provide, is there any where to pick them up en route?

Also, the BBC is stating winds of up to 45mph on Sunday - how high do winds need to be for lifts to get shut?
snow report
@Handy Turnip, they were shutting the higher lifts with similar wind speeds a few weeks back. It’s not just wind speed though but also direction. Keep an eye on the signs they put out warnings about travelling across valleys when the winds were forecast to pick up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Handy Turnip, if you've got winter tyres, I highly doubt that you'll need chains. The freezing level's around 3,000m at the moment so any snow isn't going to settle for long. If you're worried just leave the car in one of the lower car parks. Locals are expecting rain, not snow. LM was 10c at 9am this morning.

I don't think you'll be able to buy any on the way anyway. I haven't seen any left in the hypermarkets. Feu vert in Albertville is the best bet but I was in there last week and don't recall seeing any still on display. It was 31c outside at the time so not surprising!

You'll be unlucky if much gets closed due to wind. The only link still open will be Orelle so just avoid that. I know they did have some days where all the top lifts were shut about a month ago but it has to be super grim for that to happen.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, one other thing. I don't know where you're hiring from but if it's GVA they usually stop fitting winter tyres at the end of March. And because they're 'free' you can't really moan about it. Make sure you ask at the desk to be sure that the car they're giving you does still have winter tyres.

You might get lucky and get a free upgrade though. Last year I flew in on April 1 with a booking for a basic 4wd with Hertz. When I asked if he still had anything with winter tyres he looked very doubtful. Then he came back and said he had a Subaru XV. Ok, I thought, can't complain, similar class.

Then he said, 'How much luggage have you got?" Skis, bag, laptop. " You can have this if you want, no extra charge" and gave me a Range Rover Evoque convertible Black Edition with all the toys! I had great fun driving round the Alps with the roof down in the sunshine. Very Happy
latest report
Thanks @Raceplate, I've requested winter tyres as an extra when I booked the rental but I'm also aware that with hire companies what you ask for and what you get can be two totally different things. I've got this fear that when I get to the desk that they'll say they don't have anything with winter tyres on, not sure what I do then?! Ironically, I'm with Hertz (at GVA) too, so hopefully I'll get the same kind of service as you! Fingers crossed! If I get the tyres then I may go without the chains.

Cheers @kitenski, I'll keep an eye on the app - be gutted if they shut the lifts but not a lot I can do about it so I guess no point worrying!
snow report
@Handy Turnip, There were several days during the family bash when lifts were shut due to wind, one afternoon when everything except Peclet was shut.
snow conditions
Cheers @rjs - as long as a few lifts were open they it’d be fine (esp Peclet, as thats got a few nice long runs off it).
ski holidays
Peclet still en panne...

and Hertz only guarantee winter tyres until March 31, IIRC. It's in the T's & C's somewhere.
ski holidays
Not looking good on Peclet for this weekend then.

If Hertz can’t give me winter tyres then hopefully they’ll throw in some chains otherwise Monday could be fun!
snow report
Low cloud cover last night gave a right mixed bag of conditions today. Frozen rubble up top and slush below about 2400m even at 10am. Clear skies tonight should make tomorrow better. On the plus side, I saw my first ever Marmottes! A pair under the Mont de la Chambre chair - so cute Very Happy
ski holidays
Low cloud cover last night gave a right mixed bag of conditions today. Frozen rubble up top and slush below about 2400m even at 10am. Clear skies tonight should make tomorrow better. On the plus side, I saw my first ever Marmottes! A pair under the Mont de la Chambre chair - so cute Very Happy
ski holidays
Re. snow tyres: Our current Europcar hire car from GVA was collected on 22 April - & has snow tyres.

I booked with Autoeurope - whose website (IIRC?) says winter tyres are required on GVA rentals until the end of April.

PS: Saw a pack of 6 (six!) marmots right below Tufs chair in Tignes today - brilliant! Very Happy
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Re. snow tyres: Our current Europcar hire car from GVA was collected on 22 April - & has snow tyres.

I booked with Autoeurope - whose website (IIRC?) says winter tyres are required on GVA rentals until the end of April.

Yes and no. I also use Autoeurope but it depends on the hire company, it's not Swiss law.

If you do a search now for this wekend, Europcar says, "•Mandatory Winterization Fee: Applicable for rentals commencing Nov 15 through Apr 30 CHF 9.00, per day (maximum CHF 144.00), VAT included, paid locally." From experience, in the winter season, this charge is included automatically by Autoeurope but now it's April they're itemising it as an extra.

But Hertz says, "•Winterization Fee: Included in rates for rentals commencing Nov 15 - Mar 31 . Includes winter tires and snow chains." So in April, expect summer tyres.

The small print for both says, "•Winter Equipment in Switzerland (Nov-Apr): There are no specific laws in Switzerland concerning the use of winter tires. In the event of an accident, the driver of a vehicle not equipped with snow tires may be considered at fault and would be responsible for any damages incurred. Some areas of Switzerland will require use of snow tires or snow chains. Road signs indicate when winter tires are mandatory or snow chains must be fitted."
ski holidays
Just a question looking ahead to 2018/19. Has anyone had experience staying either in the Altiport or Altitude 1600 areas of Meribel and trying to get on the bus in the morning. We have 3 we need to get to ski school and whilst 2 could probably ski down to the La Chaudanne, the third couldn't. Just thinking about the logistics of whether saving some cash and staying there is worth the hassle or is actually feasible. We would be staying during the half term in Feb so peak time.

Last season we stayed about half way between 1600 and La Chaudanne and walked it every morning - about 40 mins including picking the ski's up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy