Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="Mike S"]@snowysarah. I checked the lift route back from Mottaret to VT this morning. It would be quite a hike up to the Funitel 3 Vallees, after a bit of a schuss down from the top of Cote Brune. It is also impossible to go down Pionniers. This made me think that if you do want to try to go back by lift that you might do best to take Bruyeres (2 & 1) down from the top of Cote Brune to Reberty, then shuttle bus to Les Menuires (every 20 mins), then bus to VT - see: https://en.lesmenuires.com/winter/ski-jresort/access-and-transport/by-bus. However, I see that the Les Menuires to VT bus is supposedly only for walkers and cross country skiers. You might get away with it if you put your skis in a ski bag - or pretended to be French!

I did too! I think she will manage the schuss down from cote brune, walk up to 3V funitel (you can def download in this right?) and then ski down pluviometre.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ecureuil wrote:
@Snowysarah
ecureuil wrote:
... to the Roc 2 chair. Take this to the top. Then if you walk straight ahead and slightly uphill for around 200m you can take the Plattieres 3 gondola down. And then (if you want to) walk up a further 100m and take the Plattieres gondola all the way to Mottaret centre.

Forgot to say that when you first get off the Roc2 chair, you can't see the Plattieres3 top lift station! It is hidden behind the Grange chair / restaurant. But just walk straight ahead (at the side of the piste to avoid skiers coming the other way) and it comes into view at the back of the plateau.

Brill advice. Thank you! Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowysarah wrote:
Can you def take Caron down ?
Cairn wasn’t working today for some reason..

I wouldn't be worried if you can't take Caron down. Gentiane is a simple straight gentle piste - probably as quick to ski as to take the lift, and possibly no more tiring. When you get to the bottom make sure you enter the Cairn queue rather than Caron - they are both in the same building and people have been known to take the wrong one!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fresh snow this morning 😀
Circa 6" of powder up top make for some good fun on the pistes. The Face down from Olympic chair was excellent when that opened @ about 10am.

Some fog patches stayed around all day so it was a case of boiling hot in the sun one minute, chilly in the clouds the next.

Last day for us tmrw, best Easter ski week for ages so can't complain too much!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowysarah you might like to look at http://opensnowmap.org/?zoom=12&lon=6.5934&lat=45.3211& . I think that it will give you a better idea of the routes and terrain than the traditional piste map. I am pretty sure that you can take Caron down, as its a Telecabine. You can actually get from 1650 to Mottaret using 3 lifts - Ariondaz > Aiguille du Fruit > Suisse but I wouldn't recommend it with a youngster. Better to go Ariondaz > Petit Bosse > Aiguille du Fruit. I would also recommend taking Pas du Lac 1 down, as the bottom of Aigle gets pretty slushy at this time of year. The alternative is to go down to Meribel Centre then Tougnette 1 or Plan de L'Homme back to Mottaret.

Another sunny day!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowysarah wrote:

4 lifts for them from courchevel 1650??
I suspect my 5 yr old is a better skier then their youngest from what my friend has said. She skied like a demon today all day from 1130-5 with just a brief sandwich stop. We made it down fro top go grand fond to 3 Vallées express at Orelle in 15 mins. However, when she’s had it, that’s it. Read and tantrums. (Understandably, sometimes forget she’s 5)
I am going to get the piste map out now and go through all these suggestions. Thanks so much!

Your original post didn't say whether your friends also had kids or not. If they have, then 4 lifts up and one down into Mottaret, 2 more to the top of LM. Very little and easy skiing. Ariondaz, Aiguille de Fruit, Pralong, Saulire up, Pas du Lac down. Platieres and Cote Brun up. All blue and green. Approx two hours from C1650 with kids.

Adults can do Mottaret in 3 lifts from C1650 - Ariondaz, Aiguille de Fruit, Suisses, ski either all the way down or to the Pas du Lac mid station and download if they don't want to ski the bottom icy section of Aigle (horrible run in the mornings).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowysarah wrote:
Can you def take Caron down ?
Cairn wasn’t working today for some reason..

Yes. I just can't remember if there is a separate set of steps outside the building for downloading ( I think there is). If not, then you go through the gate for the Cime Caron cable car and there is an internal door on the left for Caron, the cable car is right.

If Cairn's not running, take Moutiere opposite. Turn left at the top, schuss and ski down the blue to the left and just before the deux lacs restaurant to Plein Sud.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowysarah wrote:

I did too! I think she will manage the schuss down from cote brune, walk up to 3V funitel (you can def download in this right?) and then ski down pluviometre.

Yes you can download on the Funitel - it has a pedestrian viewing platform at the top. That takes you to Plein Sud though. If she can ski Pluviometre you don't need to walk up, you can access it directly by heading straight on after the schuss.

You can also take the blue into LM. There is a cut through on the left of the first right hand bend after the restaurant on the right. Brings you out at the bottom of Pluviometre and the path/bridge to the top of the Cairn lift. Ski to Moutiere and Grand Fond and home. That's the way I'd take kids if it's not slushy at the top, it's a fun run with some rollers and sweeping bends. If you meet where I said, you can also recce it first.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike S wrote:
Better to go Ariondaz > Petit Bosse > Aiguille du Fruit.

You don't need Petite Bosse. There is a green path straight from Ariondaz goes to the same place where it comes out. The last 5m is slightly uphill but it's still quicker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi

travelling out to 1650 on Sunday and pondering on the lift pass - Courchevel only on full 3V? We're a mixed group and I'm wondering if the more experienced among us would benefit from being able to access the higher altitudes available with the full area especially given the forecast of rain at lower altitudes? Would prefer not to have to do this as it will split the group up more and obviously be more expensive so if we're not going to gain much in terms of snow conditions will stick with the Courchevel only option.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ChrisP3, Courcheval has the besst skiing of the 3V IMO so if I was going to stick to one valley that would be my choice. That said it would be a shame to miss out on the likes of Mont Vallon, La Masse, etc. How big is your group. Skiing in a large group all the time can be a bit of a pain, especially if there is a big disparity in ability.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Layne

we'll certainly be splitting up as the majority of the group will be sticking to the Courchevel valley. It's just the 3 or 4 with greater experience that I'm considering for the full 3V and I think even we will be happy to with Courchevel only in terms of terrain, it's just the quality of snow I'm thinking of and would it be considerably better over at Val Thorens or elsewhere?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ChrisP3, Considerably better? Probably not. Also given that you will have to ski down into Meribel Mottaret and Val T to get to the ~3000m skiing it's not like you are going to have more than a third of the day in the better conditions. Also, I presume you are skiing 6 days. I usually do 7-8 days and the extra cost isn't so great - so then I just do it. I'd rather scrimp on other costs if necessary and have the freedom. Also, if it was more mid-winter you'd be thinking the weather and lift opening times might restrict travel but late season those issues largely disappear. Long spring days make the opportunity to use the full area more attractive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mmm, definitely food for thought. Thanks Layne.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ChrisP3, I'd get the full pass. Difference in cost is only slightly more than a one day upgrade.

1650 will be a slush fest next week as will the bottom half of 1850. You'll get bored doing the same circuits around the top half of 1850 all week.
snow report
@ChrisP3, I'm out for just 4 days and have opted for the 3V pass just to give me lots of options so I can change my mind about where to ski based on the weather on the day and can also get over to the higher spots at Val T , Combe de Vallon and Jerusalem Smile

Having said that, what are peoples favourite runs/areas to ski? I've not skied 3V for 20 years maybe, did some touring last year but no pistes Smile

What else is mostly North facing for the afternoons, baring in mind I need to ski back to La Tania. Skiing with my wife and 15 year old who will happily ski everything.

Tick list of places to ski is currently

The Courcheval blacks and also early over to 1650 and back, enjoyed the runs off Chanrosa previously
Creux
Combe de Vallon
Grand couloir ...
Jerusalem
Eterlou - Meribel
ski holidays
@kitenski, Creux is a very dull piste IMO.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
... What else is mostly North facing for the afternoons ...

Stuff that is mostly North facing for the afternoons is usually mostly North facing for the rest of the day as well! Very Happy .

Slopes that are generally more north facing include:
- most of Courchevel and La Tania;
- in the Meribel valley: the runs from Tougnete 2, and the southern end (Combe du Vallon, Lac de la Chambre, Venturon);
- in the Belleville valley: La Masse in Les Menuires, and most of Val Thorens except the Peclet area.
snow report
@ecureuil, ha ha, nice one thanks!
ski holidays
@kitenski,

If you are staying in La Tania you would ski Folyeres anyway (I think it may be a bit unpleasant at the end of the day at this time of year ... my favourite time to blast down it is just before lunch when everyone else is on the restaurant decks) ...

Other runs :

3 reds off the Chapelets chair in 1650
Jockeys
Saulire
Suisses
Combe Vallon
Faon / Lievre
Jerusalem / Biollay (all the way down to St Martin)
Most of the La Masse and high VT / Orelle runs
latest report
Hot day today, snow turning soft in typical spring fashion, 1650 was good this morning, saulire end of day was good, but a bit bumpy. Did a run down pylones afterwards which has some mega moguls to work the legs on.
snow report
Just wanted to say a big thanks to a of you who helped me with the route from Orelle to Mottaret with my 3 kids including my tough little 5 year old!
We made it!
She skied all the way down from the top of Rosael chair to Pionniers (no down lifting!) and then from top of Col de la chambre down to mottaret village on the blues. She was awesome! On way back she skied all the way back as well. She had a couple of falls in the slush on pluviometre but otherwise fine.
I can’t believe the difference in the snow in mottaret and in VT though. It’s still perfect in Orelle and v slushy over towards Meribel.

So thanks everyone. It was wonderful to meet up with our friends, who we don’t see that often due to distance. Their kids are awesome skiers- they have managed had 7 days in Scotland this year alone !
snow report
Lots of typos and too many exclamation marks but hope main message makes sense

Off home tomorrow, boo. Probably would stay in Orelle again as sooo much cheaper despite the ball ache of shuttle bus and 3V express.

Have a great week if you’ve just arrived!
snow report
@Snowysarah,
Quote:

She skied all the way down from the top of Rosael chair to Pionniers (no down lifting!) and then from top of Col de la chambre down to mottaret village on the blues. She was awesome! On way back she skied all the way back as well. She had a couple of falls in the slush on pluviometre but otherwise fine.

Wow, well done to your youngster. That's great at 5 years old! Should sleep well tonight.

Is that panini & pizza 'caravan' thingy still near the base of the gondola at Orelle? We skied down there in early Feb, so much snow, though had to take skis off a couple of times for very short walk.
I assume bar nearby there still open?
ski holidays
Yes still there. Bar was packed around 530 every day. It’s a lovely little alpine village, with great views to ? Les Sybelles

Wow did you ski down to the bottom of the gondola?? In Orelle valley at 900m? Didn’t think that was possible!
snow report
@Snowysarah, yes, the village looked pleasant, though immediately around gondola base quite industrial and bit grim I thought. Reminded me of home.

That bar was friendly and they’d cook then deliver your food from the ‘caravan’ while you had a drink in the bar.

Oh yes, tracks down are off limits but snow was awesome early Feb. Several skiers did down to 900m. Had to grin at 3 bears just coming out of hibernation and low down the marmottes were stirring 😉.
Bet spring flowers & blossom showing by time we get on EOSB!

Have safe journey home.
snow report
deleted...double post
snow report
Snowysarah,

How impressive for a 5 year old! I'm pleased you had a great time.

We are flying out to Val T tomorrow with 2 (beginner) friends. Can't wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
another warm day today, did some family park and saulire runs, before heading to the folie for the closing party, which was busy

a good week, great weather, some fresh snow snowHead
snow report
@Little Martin, where is the family park and what features are there?? Is there a half pipe anywhere Smile
ski holidays
@kitenski, various parks:
Courchevel 1850: Family Park, below Verdons
Courchevel 1650: Fun Park, between the upper part of the Ariondaz & Grande Bosses pistes (just a "natural" avi-controlled valley, no other equipment)
Meribel: Elements park, from top of Plan de l'Homme chair
Mottaret: Area 43, from top of Plattieres gondola.
Les Menuires: BK park, adjacent to Becca lift
Val Thorens: Snow park / Family park adjacent to Plateau piste/lift

Area 43 above Mottaret often has a massive half-pipe right at the top, but not sure if they keep it for competitions?
latest report
Does anyone know where the website is for the photo machine at the top of the Saulire Gondola/Saulire Express?
You touch your skipass and it takes a picture.

I have looked everywhere for it, but can't find it. Either it is no longer working, or I've lost my Googling skills!
snow report
@closey1973, try this page http://ski-resort.meribel.net/photo-booth.html ?
latest report
@closey1973, might be on the bmw site - https://bmw-mountains.com/en - if you do manage to get it to work that is, I couldn't, although I did get my pass entered excluding the digits either side of the dash
snow report
@kitenski, in the middle of 1850 next to verdons, can't miss it. Nothing spectacular, but good for the little version of me to get some jumps on, has a short ski/boarder cross track which is great for getting some speed + height on if you absorb the jumps with your legs you will fly, then several jumps from skiers right getting harder to skiers left (basically 3 runs through), with boxes and a few features. There was a tunnel, but it's probably melted now, and then a speed gun track on the exit.

Leading from there, there's tracks through the trees on the left of verdons which if not careful on large skis will send you flying into a tree Embarassed

Further down verdons after the restaurants on the left, there's an off shoot through the trees on the left - known as Narnia.
snow conditions
ecureuil wrote:
@closey1973, try this page http://ski-resort.meribel.net/photo-booth.html ?

Perfect!!

Thanks a lot for your help.
ski holidays
Been in val thorens all week. Had cloud, snow, blue skies but the one theme has been the wind. Been coming here in April for the last five years and jeez,never known anything like it. In previous years we've been glad of the altitude but this week there's been no hiding place. Have not had much use of our first family 3v pass-hoping for better tomorrow.
ski holidays
We managed to find some shelter in the blue run down from cascade - not this morning to is awful.

If anywhen finds any runs sheltered from this wind please shout, it is freaking my youngest out and crawling down slopes in this wind is not fun!
latest report
@NickyJ, were going to try the bottom around boismint and plan de leau which are apparently open today ad might be a bit more sheltered
ski holidays
Anybody been onto Gentiane yet? Is that sheltered in any way?

The fun slope near top of 2 lacs is closed as well as 2 lacs lift.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy