Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
@skimottaret, ta!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bart_bdv wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???

No. They'll be open.

Unless there is too much wind:-)

Which is why VT developed the Funitel, a gondola system that is much less affected by wind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bart_bdv wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???

No. They'll be open.

Unless there is too much wind:-)

In the last 10 years or more I've only seen the links close for too much wind or too much snow (awaiting avalanche control). The OP is going out in the second week of April. The chances of either of those things happening at that time of year are about the same as my chances of winning the Hahnenkamm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Help required people, I am going to Les Menuires and want to buy a pass for St Martin Valley, including Val Thorens, I can find it as a concept, but not to actually purchase. Ideally a family pass, hence not the full 3 valleys pass. Any links or information greatly received.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@blahblahblah, you used to be able to get a Belleville valley pass which would meet your requirement but I can't see it online either so maybe it's been withdrawn. Maybe try asking the tourist office or email the ski pass office.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone know what happened to that Dutch dood who used to post top photos from Les Menuires on here?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I was wondering the same thing @Whitegold. 123_456 wasn't it?

By the way, that pic you posted of the ice structure in Les arcs, was that for ice climbing?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah wrote:
Help required people, I am going to Les Menuires and want to buy a pass for St Martin Valley, including Val Thorens, I can find it as a concept, but not to actually purchase. Ideally a family pass, hence not the full 3 valleys pass. Any links or information greatly received.

Still available... http://forfait.valthorens.com/accueil/page.aspx?PO=22&LC=EN Belleville Valley pass
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ Actually, scratch that. Looks like it's only available at full daily rate with no weekly pass rate. Therefore, cheaper to buy a 3V pass.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check the weather forecast when you arrive-unless very windy conditions peredicted for the week makes more sense to just get a 3V pass to have full flexibility
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Raceplate wrote:
^^ Actually, scratch that. Looks like it's only available at full daily rate with no weekly pass rate. Therefore, cheaper to buy a 3V pass.

Yes, thats what I thought.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been to the 3V for the last 4 years, and this is the first time I can remember that the Rafforts and Villages runs are open below Meribel at this time of year!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello, out to Val Thorens next week (Can't wait) and want to visit some friends who are staying in St Martin. Is this trip possible based on current snow conditions? Any recommendations on optimal routes would also be welcomed as it looks a bit tricky on the piste map!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Northernhills wrote:
Hello, out to Val Thorens next week (Can't wait) and want to visit some friends who are staying in St Martin.

As a fallback, you could just take the bus.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...or Cumin Mad
ski holidays
@Northernhills, most direct is as suggested past all the lifts below VT, on to Cumin (pain if you're a boarder), then Doron chair and ski down to Les menuires to get Roc 1 bubble on left by ski pass office. Right at top of lift and ski down to Becca chair on your right. Then left off that chair along the boulevard to join the grand lac piste, Pelozet and Biolley. Easy!
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
Yeah I was wondering the same thing @Whitegold. 123_456 wasn't it?

By the way, that pic you posted of the ice structure in Les arcs, was that for ice climbing?

Yup. He posted some good stuff. Maybe he moved back to Holland.

Yup, for ice climbers in La Plagne. The Tour de Glace. Looked pretty cool.
latest report
@andy1234, @Whitegold, The ice tower is in Champagny-le-Haut, so relatively easy access for people staying in the Courchevel area, maybe a 25 to 35 minute drive.
They've held European and World Cup events there in the last few years. We've had the British and Finnish ice climbing teams stay with us and they were most impressed by it. Only one of it's kind in Europe apparently. More details here - http://winter.champagny.com/resort-guide/unmissable/ice-tower.html
snow report
@skichampcouk, it does look impressive, thanks for the link
snow conditions
Best snow conditions on piste today. Ankle deep powder first thing poor visibility apart from 20 minutes at the end of the day and dropped in to Meribel. Tamping down with snow in la Tania.
latest report
Doesn’t look like it snow for long last night. Perhaps an additional 6cm in la Tania village.
latest report
@Northernhills, alternative routes to St M. Bvd Cumin as before (not that bad if you get some speed as you approach the flatter bit), then the Reberty Chair at bottom, followed by Sunny Express (no need to take skis off unlike getting Roc 1 bubble). From top of Sunny Express turn left and head towards Becca or you could head for Roc 2 chair. Then Grand Lac piste, Pelozet and Biollay as before.

The route over the top...Pionniers or Plein sud chair, then 3 Valleys chair or Funitel to the top. Follow sign for Les Men and St M,but immediately stay high and right and you come to the Bvd De La Lance...(it’s a bit hard to spot) tracks around the mountain onto David Douillet piste. Ski top steep section of David Douillet, and then take the first right hand cat track piste you can see at the bottom just above the restaurant. Brings you to top of Sunny Express chair...so the rest is as above.
snow conditions
@Perty et all, thanks for the responses, not skied down there before so looking forward to a new adventure!
ski holidays
.@Northernhills, Make sure you have a spin around Jerusalem while you're down the St M end of the valley. Very Happy
latest report
Back working from home again this week, and its fair to say that conditions in Courchevel have been OK the last couple of days given the weekend's rain to quite high...

latest report
Yesterday the snow was, eh, 'weird'! There were three distinct conditions on all of the mountains that we skied. At the top was the nice light and sometimes powdery stuff. At the bottom was the sugar snow tha at you get when it's above freezing. In the middle was the strange stuff. Very sticky at times and very difficult to ski on. My skis (and others in my group same) were continually fighting to go where I didn't want them to go. You had to be very forceful to get them to behave to any degree.
The weather was rubbish (lots of cloud/fog) but there was some really good snow off to the sides up high. Highlight of day was knee-deep stuff off to the side of Dame Blanche at La Masse.
Today is a blue-bird day! Yay!
latest report
Yesterday stunning day on piste and probably off for those that know what they were doing judging by snow on Combe de Caron and one or two other runs which led to an epic day of skiing with over 12000 vertical metres skied and tips to Saint Martin, Meribel, reberrty, Les Menuires Val Thorens, mottaret via Mt Vallon, each of the courchevel villages before our return to La Tania. Didn’t make it to les allures though. Earnt our dinner.
snow report
Today very mixed. Visibility better than earlier in the week but very windy with all the valley links shut. Courchevel app suggested Val Thorens had little if anything open
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Staying in Val Thorens in two weeks. Any recommended iPhone apps that should be downloaded, looking for something with piste maps/whats going on in town etc?
ski holidays
@snow_mac, VT has its own App, as do all the other 3V resorts. There is also a 3V App running Fatmap. Personally, I prefer the old school piste maps on the resort Apps and I know many others who feel the same. You only need one of them as they all cover the whole of the 3V's for piste info, grooming, closing times etc. Make sure you download the HD piste map on Wi-Fi before you go.
snow report
courchevel has pistes maps on a lot of the chairs now too, anyone know if the rest of the 3vs have them
latest report
Yeah the maps on the Couchevel chairs are novel but haven't seem them in the other valleys
latest report
@Raceplate, yep quite agree, fatmap may be good at home on a laptop, but it is not quick or easy to use out on the hill when you quickly want to check (for instance) whether a certain lift is running... I find myself just using the list option rather than the 3d map... The Meribel app still has a good 'old-fashioned' 2d map with easy to access extra info though!
snow conditions
Plenty of snow today. Skied to about 1530 on our last day until my mate twinged his knee. Jockeys and Jean Blanc in stunning good condition. Spent the morning lappin those two runs. Snow accumulating on the runs as you were skiing them. Lots of fun but would have loved some sunshine.
snow report
Plenty of snow today. Skied to about 1530 on our last day until my mate twinged his knee. Jockeys and Jean Blanc in stunning good condition. Spent the morning lappin those two runs. Snow accumulating on the runs as you were skiing them. Lots of fun but would have loved some sunshine.
snow report
Yesterday was amazing. Doing laps of the grand couloir and off shoots in fresh deep pow and blue skies. Was warming up significantly by lunchtime
snow report
Been pretty much bed-bound the last 48 hrs with flu, but Wednesday was quite good again:

Thursday was a foehn 'blip', but the wind dropped in the afternoon, along with 10/15cms of fresh which gave a good day out on Friday apparently. Judging by the amount of snow coming down in Bozel i can imagine it was fun up there today too!!
latest report
closey1973 wrote:
I've been to the 3V for the last 4 years, and this is the first time I can remember that the Rafforts and Villages runs are open below Meribel at this time of year!

Agree - although Villages closed a day or two after you wrote that, due to thin snow cover Sad
snow report
New snow on 5 days out of 7 last week, which made for some tricky skiing in low visibility.

Above around 2000m everything still in great condition, with just a few places closed due to avi risk (Boulevard de la Loze).

Lower down mainly still good; everything (except Villages) open; but just the occasional spot of grass / tree / mud starting to come through, and one or two places with only a thin covering of snow over ice. Later in the day any slopes exposed to the sun (eg St Martin below the mid-station, Meribel centre) can get very slushy / cut up.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
closey1973 wrote:

Agree - although Villages closed a day or two after you wrote that, due to thin snow cover Sad

Ha ha, yes I did notice that I'd put the kiss of death on that one!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy