Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead

Another great day in Les 3Vs. Sunny; cold; light wind; good snow and empty pistes.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top day on the slopes around Courchevel and then Meribel after dropping off the good lady after lunch.

Given the forecast for later in the week , we went for it early doors and caught the 9.00 lift and is was eerily quiet and was probably the quietest Sunday I've seen here in six years !! Snow in great nick Smile
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Upsidedown, I was looking on the webcams around meribel around 2:30pm local time and there were hardly any people on the slops I was looking at, I was very surprised and jealous. Enjoy the week!
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Prompted by @turbosmurf had a crack at the Escapade and managed to catch the last lift with 4 minutes to spare! (Skied 97 km, total 159 km, vertical 1590 m, 29 runs, 7 hr 38 min). Not quite as nice a day as yesterday, with some high cloud and flat light, but pistes still in good shape and surprisingly quiet.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Partly sunny again today. Avalanche risk 2/5. Everything is forecast to change tonight - snow down to 500m; forecasts of 1- 2 m by Sunday; gales and temperatures plummeting. Could be interesting for weekend changeovers.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers Mike, arrive on the train early Saturday morning yes looking at the forecast it could be!!!
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Left St M yesterday (having originally planned to stay on, minus Mr P, till next Sunday) as the prospect of a week on my own looked like it would have involved less skiing and more cabin fever and snow management-digging out of the car so I could guarantee leaving on Sunday and catching my flight home (can't miss it as an essential appointment on Monday).
Perhaps a bit paranoid as the forecast looks slightly less dramatic than it did two days ago and some low level powder skiing seems definitely on the cards. Ho hum..if the rain and wind outside the living room window here in Sussex blows your way, batten down the hatches!
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike S wrote:
Prompted by @turbosmurf had a crack at the Escapade and managed to catch the last lift with 4 minutes to spare! (Skied 97 km, total 159 km, vertical 1590 m, 29 runs, 7 hr 38 min). Not quite as nice a day as yesterday, with some high cloud and flat light, but pistes still in good shape and surprisingly quiet.

Nice one Mike S, well done!
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike S, so you skied 97km and only managed 1590m of vertical?

Must have been a lot of polling. Cmon, what's the real figure?
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy1234 wrote:
@Mike S, so you skied 97km and only managed 1590m of vertical?

Must have been a lot of polling. Cmon, what's the real figure?

My biggest day at Christmas was 39.9km / 7579m vertical so yes that doesn't add up!

I've got two children and some faffers in the party, that's my excuse.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

@andy1234 Ooops! My fingers (and brain) must have been tired - as well as my legs. 15900 m. Not too bad for an old man. Only 7 cm of snow in Mottaret overnight, with the rain/snow limit at 1200 m. Reporting only a few lift delays, however wind increasing this afternoon to over 40 mph. Avalanche risk 4/5. Temperatures are still forecast to drop today with more snow down to 500 m. Looks pretty grey out there but only the peeks are in cloud.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2018/01/15/the-3-valleys-escapade-in-a-day-2018-update/

Mike's in the Hall of Fame!
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm! Contrary to the earlier lift & piste reports, none of the lifts above Mottaret, except for Plattieres, were open first thing this morning. Saulieres Express 2 was showing as being open at 9am but has now been closed, along with all the inter valley links, due to high winds. Most of the other Meribel valley lifts, however, are now open. There is some nice powder higher up, where you can get to it, but the visibility is poor. It was raining in Meribel, this morning, and not very pleasant. So much for a rain/snow limit of 1200 m. The lower runs have better visibility but the snow is, unfortunately, pretty wet. Hopefully, the forecast lower temperatures will bring better skiing conditions tomorrow.
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with Mike, we're in Meribel village and I ventured over to Plan De L'homme for couple of runs but then stayed our side of the valley. Even had lunch at home before going out for couple of hours on the afternoon
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
12 cm of snow overnight in Mottaret. Very breezy with driven snow. Avalanche cannons going off. Forecasting 60-80 mph winds; 0 C isobar at 2000 m Crying or Very sad and avalanche risk 4/5. Most lifts closed or delayed, including Olympe 1/2 from Brides. Reported to be opening Tougnette 1, Rodos 1/2 and Altiport; Combes and Pas du Lac 1 at 9.30 and Plattiere 1, Plan des Mains and Chattelet at 10. Sounds a bit optimistic!
snow report     
Here somebody has stolen the valley opposite. Just the button lift on Alitport open Crying or Very sad

Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap
snow conditions     
@Mike S, as a superSH, you'll know this, but I can't resist...

"0 C isobar at 2000 m "

It's the 0C isotherm, not isobar! Very Happy

CG
snow conditions     
@Charliegolf Apologies. My mistake. I think that the 0 C isotherm actually stayed lower, since it has been snowing all day. As anticipated, the morning lift report was overly optimistic and the only lifts to open were the Golf, Morel, Altiport drag, Cotes drag, Combes and Aigle drag. Amazingly, the SCGB/Mountain Guides off-piste session went ahead. The wind has now dropped but it is still snowing.
snow report     
Currently in Val Thorens. Nothing is open and the weather is biblical! Masses and masses of snow.
ski holidays     
Video from the top of Chenus: https://www.facebook.com/courchevel/videos/1764452726944266/
snow report     
La Tania was awesome today. Loads of fresh powder on piste and in the trees. Snowing heavily all the way down to Le Praz. Very sheltered and very quiet. No links open not even to Courchevel but felt we were in the best place anyway!
ski holidays     
A brilliant day - storm-riding days are some of the best in my (slightly twisted) opinion! No one around, fresh tracks every lap, happy days...
Not sure how much opened in Courchevel as we stayed around the 1650 bubble all day which somehow they managed to keep running - didn't look like much was open elsewhere in the valley though.

Snowing right down to Bozel so the next few days should be great for the tree skiing (if it stays cold!).
latest report     
Came home last Sunday from the Belleville valley as I thought the weather would blow me off the mountain, and it’s looks that that proved to be the case. For those of you that got out into the trees lower down however...I’m very jealous!
ski holidays     
We are in Val Thorens and today had a day to rival Cairngorm! We've never seen it as bad here before.

Everything was closed today except for the 3 magic carpets Sad
Ferocious wind and snow all day...and it's still going strong.

We managed to put in just over an hour on the slopes. We skied from the bridge at the top of the town, down past Club Med and into the face of the storm. We couldn't move down hill... Cairn was excellent in powder, however, then it was a left turn to the magic carpets, where we spent the rest of our hour or so lapping the top one - 4 minutes up and 30/40 seconds down. It was just like Xscape but with a whiteout and hurricane thrown in for free! A 40m vertical run off that lift...

Sadly, the forecast is the same again tomorrow. Sad And beyond that it's looking unsettled until the middle of next week, though the wind should drop by Friday. At least its continuing to set up an epic season, however; and snow is stacked high now in the streets of the town.

It's all a bit frustrating though, as next week will be our last week of 3 (at least until mid March anyway) and I'm hoping we are here when this storm clears. Nevertheless, we've had some fantastic skiing so far and appreciate what we've had. It's a shame for those who are here for 6 days though, as they have had severe weather since yesterday.

Fingers crossed for next week. Very Happy
snow report     
I'm salivating - are the winds expected to die off tomorrow? What a day it will be if they are (but I presume piste patrol will be quite busy first thing) ...
snow report     
franga,
Pavlov's dog may be disappointed...

Same forecast for tomorrow as today... Sad Wind then forecast to ease on Friday according to some forecasts - but snow-forecast.com is forecasting 50kmph winds every day until at least Monday.... Sad Sad
snow report     
Went out at 11 and skied Lapin up and down for couple of hours with occasional forays up Altiport drag.
snow conditions     
We were riding in St Martin today - only the bubble open but still got some awesome powder runs down under the gondola and hiking across to Jerusalem. Looking forward to off piste guiding tomorrow so hopefully the wind eased up and some more lifts open.
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy