Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Massive amount of snow overnight in VT, and still nowing hard. Everything closed at the moment; hope they can get something open later. Road to les menuires also closed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,

Are there any weather forecast sites people use, specifically for Courchevel? So I can look at it hourly until I go on the 13th snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WillowWilson http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Courchevel/6day/mid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I prefer yr.no to snow forecast:

https://www.yr.no/en/list/daily/2-3023065/France/Auvergne-Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Savoy/Courchevel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WillowWilson wrote:
Hi all,

Are there any weather forecast sites people use, specifically for Courchevel? So I can look at it hourly until I go on the 13th snowHead

The ones I look at, giving a broad idea based on lots of different models

https://www.bergfex.com/courchevel/wetter/berg/
https://meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Courchevel/
http://wepowder.com/en/courchevel-1850
http://www.latania.co.uk/weather/weather.htm
http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MS_645_ens.png
http://www.lineameteo.it/spaghi.php?lati=45.4317&longi=6.595

Then the webcams Wink

No point looking hourly, most of the sites update every 6 hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the links everyone, plenty to keep me occupied.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, Anyone in VT currently? Is the road open?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Langers Utd wrote:
Hi, Anyone in VT currently? Is the road open?

According to VT on Facebook, yes. https://www.facebook.com/valthorens.resort/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all for the on-the-ground updates. Very useful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In situations like this (or this past weekend), if you are coming in from Geneva or Lyon, do you just sit tight in those locations and wait for things to clear up?, or do u try to get at least a little closer before venturing into the mountains?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Road & traffic status http://www.savoie-route.fr/

The Altibus FB page reports:

'These lines resume their service, with significant delays, however:
� Val Thorens
� Méribel
� Courchevel
� Les Menuires & Saint-Martin-de-Belleville
� Les Sybelles
� Val cenis
� Valmeinier
� Valfréjus
� Aussois
� pralognan la vanoise
� La plagne
� La rosière
� Valmorel
� Doucy
� Montchavin-la plagne

Tignes: First transfer tomorrow at 8:45
Val-d'Isère: First transfer tomorrow at 9:20

For more information, you can talk to your resort's tourism Office.'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Redwine wrote:
In situations like this (or this past weekend), if you are coming in from Geneva or Lyon, do you just sit tight in those locations and wait for things to clear up?, or do u try to get at least a little closer before venturing into the mountains?

Two different situations as I see it. This midweek storm was purely a weather issue and I would have been just waiting for it to pass and the roads cleared before venturing in or out. Last week was as much a traffic issue as a weather one. And what you do depends on your resilience and perseverance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The motorway signs give good info -I stop in Lyon if any likelihood od delay as there won't be great skiing anyway the next day if you eventually get thru at 2am, or spend a night in the car or on the floor of a gym...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely miserable in VT yesterday, especially given more than 50cm of fresh fell the previous night. All ruined by high temps and rain. 3 lifts opened at 12ish, avalanche risk 5, unbelievably crowded, soaking wet, heavy snow. Can only be better today!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking a lot better in Meribel today. Dry, high cloud and little wind. Temperatures still un-seasonally warm. 6 C at 1000m. Avalanche risk 4/5. Inter valley links delayed until 10 am.
latest report
turbosmurf wrote:
Can only be better today!

although...
snow conditions
@turbosmurf, for once I'm happy to be working!
latest report
View from the Les Menuires piste (I'm stuck indoors, retired hurt) is that queues are big, crunchy snow/ice with sleet. Team have retired to the bar. Flat light.
snow report
Shamelessly lifted from the latania.co.uk Facebook feed.

VT playground before and after recent snow

ski holidays
@jonathancarty, wow! Shocked
snow report
@jonathancarty, that is awesome.
snow conditions
That is indeed awesome. I'm on the snow train tomorrow to Mottaret, rather looking forward to it is an understatement.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads @ChrisBirrell, snowHead

turbosmurf wrote:
turbosmurf wrote:
Can only be better today!

although...

What the....?????
Hope they’re all going home tomorrow! I’ll be waving at them on my way in.

CW:-)
ski holidays
@jonathancarty, we need a 3rd one - after the rain...
snow report
Last year: too little snow

This year: too much snow

When are we gonna have a NORMAL January in Courchevel?!
ski holidays
[quote="cardweg]
What the....?????
Hope they’re all going home tomorrow! I’ll be waving at them on my way in.

CW:-)[/quote]

To be fair, it got a lot better when they opened a few more runs. And the snow under grand fond was decent
snow report
Much better! Clear blue sky and sun yesterday afternoon and this morning. Almost spring like conditions - icy then softening. Pretty crowded on the slopes, particularly in the morning as most of the upper lifts did not open until after mid day. Forecasting 8C at 1000 m then snow tonight over 1500 m. 65,000 cars reported to be moving through the Savoie today!
snow report
As above - felt very much like early April today... Apart from the top 300m of Courchevel where there was perfect cold snow on piste and off. The Saulire couloirs are in good condition and massively banked out - it all changes when you get to the Combe de Saulire / Telephone split, as many people found out to their dismay having made a tentative turn down telephone only to find it was pretty icy & bumpy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First day of our trip heading out from Les Menuires, any day one advice on where to go?
ski holidays
La Masse is North-facing, so usually the best snow and often quiet.

If you have 3-valleys passes, head up to Val Thorens or over to Courchevel for good snow. Down to La Tania is also a lovely run. Meribel often has the poorest snow, sadly.
latest report
We arrived in Les Menuires yesterday and had a great couple of hours on the Belleville side of Mt De La Chambre.

It was very windy though, with plenty of windblown sections. The good news was that there was a fair bit of windblown powder at the sides (on piste) if you got your orientation correct.

Alas, more severe wind today and only the lower lifts open.

Mountain weather! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Sadly wind shut every down this morning, la fermi was great fun lunch. Yummy food.

Sacked off the afternoon after a couple of erdinger and now all the lifts have opened.....

Did the link lifts open up in the end?
latest report
The forecasters are showing another weather system coming in tomorrow night, with heavy rain at 1500m and up to 0.45 m of snow on the peaks. https://www.bergfex.com/meribel/wetter/
snow conditions
xanderajma wrote:
Sadly wind shut every down this morning, la fermi was great fun lunch. Yummy food.

Sacked off the afternoon after a couple of erdinger and now all the lifts have opened.....

Did the link lifts open up in the end?

@xanderajma - I don't believe the link did open in the end - there was a notice at the top of the Roc1 saying the links were closed around 3.30pm. It was helluva windy up there. Sadly it looks like the links will be closed again today with the forecasted winds, but from tomorrow onwards it looks like the wind drops - fingers crossed!
latest report
Yesterday we were confined to the St Martin gondola, St M Express, plus one rather unfulfilling run off the Teppes drag. The wind did get up as the morning wore on. It actually meant the pistes were lovely and quiet. Good lazy lunch at La Loy. Shame if today is the same however.... On Sat we had a fantastic day in VT, despite wind. I’m wondering whether we should drive up there.
ski holidays
Snowing in Meribel this morning, with very flat light. Forecasting 0C at 2600 and winds up to 86 mph! Most of the inter valley links are already closed, due to high wind. Only Tougnette 2 and the Olympic Express currently open. The Meribel Mountain Guides are running a 2 hr Mountain Safety Training session in the Parc Olympique, from 5 - 7pm, on Tuesday evening. 20 Euros.
snow conditions
In Courchevel. Not much open due to high winds. Been up and down Verdons gondola several times. Biollay chair also open. Daren't go out of valley as lifts are opening and closing every time we look! Snowing though, so not all bad!
snow conditions
Paid 24 euros for 2 beers in posh bar Shocked !
ski holidays
A better day today in Les Menuires - slightly lower winds and the Point de la Masse opened (not up to the summit though) which did mean the pistes were slightly quieter as people were more spread out. Roc1 was only open to half way and as far as I'm aware none of the links were open again today.

The temp was 0c in the centre this morning, but within a couple of hours it was up at +5c. It snowed heavily around lunch time, very wet snow - came in soaked at lunch time, but that cleared this afternoon and has now been snowing for the last half an hour or so.
latest report
We were down the valley, confined to St M again. Didn’t go out till about 10.30am, but in fact had a fab day.
It was blowing a hoolie at the top of St Martin Express, but also snowy. Tougnette 2 ran for a while and then closed. In theory we were prevented from turning left at the top. Wet snow was falling down at the bottom of St M express (1750m) but much better at top. We asked a piste patroller if Jerusalem was open, he said yes and let us through the fence. Did one lap...probably about 4-5 inches accumulated. Then, after a late coffee, the sun peeped through and we went up again. Lovely soft snow at top of Jerusalem and great vis for one lap.
Feeling adventurous, we checked out a newly renovated refuge - “Le Trait d’Union” which is about 300m down and then up a track from the Biollay piste just below the top of the gondola. What a lovely spot, very cosy and friendly service. Had a larger than planned lunch and then slithered back to the piste. Highly recommend. Looks great for a summer retreat too. http://www.letraitdunion-les3vallees.fr/index.html
It was snowing quite heavily again down to 1700 when we finally finished for the day at around 4pm. Here’s hoping the temperature drops tonight a bit more.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy