Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
FYI, the police were stopping people from driving up to Les Allues, yesterday evening, in cars that weren't fitted with snow tyres or equipped with chains. The road up to Mottaret T.O. is now clear again but the final run up the Route du Laitelet is still quite slippery.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i lost count of the number of people stranded last night up the hill to val thorens. Really can’t understand the logic of trying to drive up a snowy mountain when the forecast has been forecasting snow in a unprepared car. you had to laugh at people in thin shirts getting out in -13 and snow to put chains on in the middle of the road.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
would a 4 x 4 with standard tyres get allowed up?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not if the police are there. although they only tend to get interested on saturdays. 4x4 on standard tyres is a liability and much worse than a 2wd car on good winters. if the police are doing their sat patrols and it is snowy like today they will be strict if they think you are a numpty in a 4x4 with standard tyres.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4x4 with good winters will go anywhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine wrote:
4x4 with good winters will go anywhere.

Not quite. But a good driver with 4x4 and good winter snow tires should be able to get you to a ski resort. Seen too many dolts driving 4x4's and think they can do no wrong on snowy/icy roads. Those are the ones I pass flipped upside down or in the ditch. YMMV.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had an incident free drive up to St M in a 4wd with winter tyres last night. Of course, it doesn’t mean you avoid all the numpties..came round one bend to see a Renault Clio sideways across the road, as well as a load of chilly looking people trying to fit their chains.
Awesome day today. We did have to wait till 10.15 for the St Martin express to open, but we were the first on it and were the first to make fresh tracks down Jerusalem. A bit wind blown but still fab.. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never mind the driving, the snow is still rather 'satisfactory'...

Magic Line 28 12 2017 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/248998632
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On latania.co.uk

Quote:
WEATHER WARNING Fri/Sat 29/30 December
A significant snowfall is announced this Friday, December 29 between 15:00 and 19:00 and again tonight from 23:00 until 8:00 tomorrow morning. Traffic conditions will be difficult in the Haute-Savoie, Savoie and Isère. The motorways A43, A48 and A410 will be most affected. Heavy goods traffic will be prohibited.

Given the weather forecast, we invite you to restrict or postpone the move. If you must move, we recommend the utmost caution and the utmost vigilance.

Depart well equipped:
• check and adjust your tyres for winter conditions (snow tyres)
• prepare for the event of prolonged immobilisation (warm clothing, food and drink)
• during your journey, listen to the motorway radio on 107.7 motorway to know the status of the network in real time and follow the current displays on the network.

AREA will make every effort to ensure safety on the motorway network. All the teams are mobilised for this event and to facilitate the traffic expected in the late afternoon.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friends drove up to Meribel-Mottaret in an Audi TT Quattro with standard tyres, yesterday, without any problems but scared themselves rigid when they attempted to drive down, as they found that they could not stop! -16 C in the Chaudanne at 9 am this morning with a clear sky. Significantly busier on the slopes. 1.5 m of snow forecast over the next week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are going to ski tomorrow so will pack the car and hope that things clear later in the day with a rise in temps. We have winters on and snow chains if necessary. We have friends driving out of Val T which I suspect will not be much fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At least 30cm of fresh snow overnight at c1850 and still coming down hard
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After a hideous Saturday once when stuck in Moutiers because of the number of cars blocking the roads up to the stations I am sorry leased when the police are vigilant. Would be good if there were more webcams on the roads up to the stations used to be one on the road into Meribel so you could see the road conditions at that point and make sure to put the chains on further down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry about rubbish syntax -I do speak English - really! 😺
latest report
On our way to VT. Any update on the road conditions? TIA
latest report
The bus I'm on has just come down from VT. A little later than expected but it made it down the hill.

Snow still coming down hard in Moutier
snow conditions
0900 Sat. Stuck in car in moutiers. Motorway to albertville is moving at 10 kph. Any news further up the hill to Val tho?
ski holidays
Hope you've got chains with you!
snow report
@FionaTwice, google maps has it at an hour and 5 mins with the 1st 3rd being the slowest
snow report
0945. Now moving at 10 kph.
ski holidays
looking out the window of my appartment to the road, where club med is, and there is a trickle of cars coming up, then a gap, then another trickle.

i imagine it will be slow stop start all the way up the hill.
snow report
Sadly, it's raining in Meribel. Only Tougnette 1, Sauliere 1 and Rhodos currently running.
snow conditions
back to the skiing. a bit white outy but dantastic powder on the pistes
ski holidays
Mike S wrote:
Sadly, it's raining in Meribel. Only Tougnette 1, Sauliere 1 and Rhodos currently running.

sadly predictable...still we had a lot of fun a couple of weeks ago lapping Sauliere 1
snow report
given up skiing. got soaked and couldn’t see a thing. People must be struggling to come up the hill as there hasn’t been anyone for 30 mins or so coming up. it’s hammering down with snow at VT village level.
snow conditions
We made it up to Les Menuires by 11. Other half of the party took 6 hours. And then skiing in the rain. No lifts open up high. Really really wet at town level. Sad
ski holidays
It has been announced that the following emergency accommodation has been made available for anyone stranded in the Tarrentaise Valley:

- Room René Cassin, Quai Des Allobroges, 73200 Albertville ==> 400 places
- Gymnase Gymnasium, Avenue Joseph Fontanet, 73200 Albertville ==> 100 places
- room of Pierre Du Roy, chemin de la Pierre Du Roy, 73200 Albertville ==> 600 places

Additional accommodation and information is available at the town hall (73200 Albertville) or by telephone at 04 79 10 00 / 04 79 10 43 00

In Moutier, accommodation is available at thet gymnasium Georges Larnaud, located on the rue des casernes, tel: 04 48 84 06 50

Bourg Saint Maurice: 04 79 07 63 87

There are reports that it is currently taking 2 hours to travel from Albertville to Moutiers. It was taking 5 hours earlier in the day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolute chaos last night in Chambéry. We eventually found a taxi and got to VT about 1.30am - after spending 10 hours in the airport. Lots of others were less lucky...
snow conditions
A bright, sunny morning in Meribel. Rather better than yesterday. Forecasting +3 C at 3000 M but snow again tonight. Avalanche rating 4/5.
latest report
I've read about emergency accommodation situations in the past. Is it simply the road up to resorts are too poor/dangerous to travel? So if it's snowing in mtns, it's going to get that way? Is there a way to know before departing and thereby avoiding needing to camp out in a gym?

Seems I will be driving up to 3v in feb (during 1/2 term, so it's likely a mess anyway) from Lyon and would rather just stay an extra day in Lyon rather than endure that gauntlet.
ski holidays
One word to sum up conditions today: firm.

After yesterday's rain to high levels the pistes today were most definitely on the solid side albeit with some grip to be found. Off piste looked like a fine combo of sorbet with a creme brulée topping... Yum.

Here's hoping for some more snow and cooler temperatures!
ski holidays
Redwine wrote:
I

Seems I will be driving up to 3v in feb (during 1/2 term, so it's likely a mess anyway) from Lyon and would rather just stay an extra day in Lyon rather than endure that gauntlet.

I always drive and have seen situation like this several times -basically 'crossover' days i.e. Peak Saturdays when either masses of snow and unequipped drivers block traffic on the roads, or on one memorable occasion when a boulder crashed down onto the road leading up to VT causing a backlog back to before Chambery. On all those occasions there were provisions on motorway signage from Lyon so yes, in that situation I would find a hotel in Lyon and just drive up the next day rather than hope for a spot on a gym floor after hours stationary on the motorway...
snow report
Redwine wrote:
I've read about emergency accommodation situations in the past. Is it simply the road up to resorts are too poor/dangerous to travel? So if it's snowing in mtns, it's going to get that way? Is there a way to know before departing and thereby avoiding needing to camp out in a gym?

Keep a very close eye on the forecast. Moderate snow is not a big issue, especially if mostly at altitude and in the mountains proper. But a big storm or very heavy and/or widespread snow are to be avoided. Once you've made the decision go with it and accept what comes.
ski holidays
@Layne, @CourchGal, appreciate the insight. I would normally shuttle to resort but they are quite expensive from Lyon. I was planning on renting a fwd and get chains but Maybe I will just rent a 4x4 with snows and forget the chains.
ski holidays
@Redwine, a 4wd, winter tyres, chains, won't help if truly gridlocked. Avoiding getting grid locked in the first place isn't easy because it's the hope that kills you and information can be slow to come through. One of the worst delays I had was actually getting the tunnel under the channel and then having to drive through incessant snow in the northern France!!! Snow chains got us the last leg up the mountain road to Aime La Plagne but late on Sunday there wasn't a lot of traffic about!! I should have paid more attention to the weather forecast. If I had I would have set out much earlier on the Friday or not at all! A couple of years ago in Tignes, I knew there was snow coming in but convinced myself it wouldn't be an issue but looking back the decision making was wrong. Friday was absolutely clear. I could have driven out at midnight and have been fine. The chances of doing any kind of decent skiing on Saturday were minimal anyway. On the flip side I have arrived and departed on snowy days 4 or 5 times that I can recall without issue. It's all about scale and depth. I have never driven a 4wd so couldn't say what the advantages are. Having winters on is certainly important. If you have chains it may be the difference between getting up to resort or spending a night in a valley hotel.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:

Magic Line 28 12 2017 from Simon Christy
https://vimeo.com/248998632

This looks amazing Simon. From your Vimeo feed, you seem to go there a lot.
Would you care to share directions or are you keeping all the good locations for yourself? 😉

We will be in 1650 from Sat and, after a few days retrieving the ski legs from wherever we left them last year, might be on the look out for a wee fluffy spot like that.
snowHead

Cheers!
CW Happy
snow report
@cardweg,
Where are you heading? Did you go for a chalet after all? Puzzled

Hope you have a great trip, wherever you end up! Very Happy
ski holidays
[quote="cardweg"]
offpisteskiing wrote:

This looks amazing Simon. From your Vimeo feed, you seem to go there a lot.
Would you care to share directions or are you keeping all the good locations for yourself? 😉

We will be in 1650 from Sat and, after a few days retrieving the ski legs from wherever we left them last year, might be on the look out for a wee fluffy spot like that.
snowHead

Cheers!
CW Happy

AHA, Simon's Secret Tree Skiing!!! you get the location when you pay the guide and then you have to skin out Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:

There is a reason I go there quite alot and that is there are very rarely any tracks in there... However for that reason the location will be prised, to paraphrase Mr Heston and the NRA "outta my cold dead hands". (Although occasionally shared with suitable clients who have taken a vow of secrecy as inspark says above...)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy