Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No hangovers while skiing but terrible at home - Why

Poster: A snowHead
I did a little search on this first and discovered that for some people it is clearly the other way round, anyhow for me this is the problem - came back from Meribal a week or two ago after some great skiing and heavy nights out. Didn't suffer a single hangover, I mixed drinks, drank too many of them, no water to finish with, didn't eat enough, slept badly, but as I said 'no' hangovers. Why??

Back out this weekend, as per all previous weekends in the UK, probably didn't drink as much as the Alps, though didn't stop short wink , and I woke with a raging headache, not too dissimilar to the headaches I normally get whilst drinking in the UK.

Whats going on? Now I think there are a few things that might help me narrow this down -

1)Altitude - (and this is tenuous) your cardiouvascular system is working harder even at rest because of the reduced amount of oxygen, as a consequence your blood is passing through your liver and kidneys more frequently and thus the alcohol is removed faster...
2)Quality of the drinks - now I'm not entirely sure about this one but someone mentioned that there is alot more rubbish in the drinks here in the UK - chemicals and additives which add to the resultant hangover - am I right? I know in Germany at least beer is strictly controlled with regards to its purity, though I don't know whether similar regulations fall over into France.
3)Exercise-perhaps this falls in with the altitude thought, that ending up at places like Dicks just encourages you to sweat out all that horrible stuff you just spent a fortune on filling yourself with, the heart pounding faster clears the blood quicker.
4)Being on holiday - perhaps even more tenuous, but wondering whether the psychological effects of being on holiday cause your body to chill and for what ever reason allow you to quite happily enjoy copious amounts of drink with out effect.

Some points to add having now got back though -
1)Fridays night just gone - woke up on Sat with ungainly hangover, started small, then grew to full head pounder end felt slightly sick, then died down during mid afternoon.
2)Saturday night - ended up drinking lots again but danced for a good couple of hours in a club - got home and had a pot noodle before I went to bed - NO hangover!

Maybe I'm starting to answer my own question, here, dancing clearly helps, but do you think that pot noodle might be the secret anti hangover cure everyone has always sought? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich75, I find the same as you. My vote is for (3). At home, cycling also works to clear things for me (on-road, rather than mountain biking, to avoid getting shaken up).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that 4 has a lot to do with it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I vote for the power of the noodles! I was far too tipsy on friday and ended up having chips - I think they were off as i was very ill later on that evening. Had I had noodles im sure I would have been pukka!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Things people consume at parties:

Pot

Pot noodles (don't consume the pot, just eat the noodles)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 4-04-05 11:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you are right on all counts...

I think (3) comes into it too, as on many a big night here i will almost always manage to consumer at least one pint of (british brewed) Carling or Stella, truly the worst things for a roaring hangover...whereas drinking a few pints of a finely brewed real ale will leave me feeling not much more than a little groggy.

i guess clean mountain air combined exercise is also important, i have many good memories or getting plastered in the Lake District and walking it off up some hill somewhere, ready for a few more that night, whereas drinking and festering in leeds will usually destroy me for at least 3 days!

never tried the pot noodle, but pizza (so long as its not rotten!) usually works for me. A friend of mine also used to think having a hot shower on your return from a night out did the trick, sweating out the alcohol and getting rid of cigarrette smoke smell....however he nearly drowned once when he fell over in the shower (drunk) and nearly knocked himself out, so maybe not best advised when very drunk, or even mildly drunk! Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm always amazed by this. I don't think it's the holiday factor - when I have a few too many on other (non-skiing) holidays, I still suffer as much as ever. When skiing though, I find I can (almost) drink anything I want and wake up the next morning for the first lift. I usually smell like a brewery, but I get up - which is more than can be said for Saturday mornings back home!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is good, I'm not the only one like this.

The question is, how do I replicate this back here in the UK? Why should I have to go to skiing to avoid the suffering?

What are the key differences? Puzzled

Once I know I'll be able to drink to my hearts content wherever I may be!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only times I've been able to replicated out of resort I've had to rely on two ingredients: charcoal tablets and Berocca (high-dose vitamin C). The former are supposed to mop up the rubbish that's in your system, whilst the latter (somewhat controversially) replaces some of the goodness you've literally peed away.

Well that's how I understood it and I have to say, I never once had a hangover while taking them! Maybe it just works for me though... Incidentally, I don't bother any more, because most of the time I have a serious session, I'm skiing anyway Razz
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
masopa, i usually find large quanities of banana cake is good too...as well as some kind of fruit smoothie. Very Happy

must agree about Vitamin C stuff, i often take a Redoxon before i go to bed, tastes a little foul (which can have connected issues with a raw belly), but usually does the trick!! never tried charcoal, maybe when i have one of my next BBQ beer sessions ill try that wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm sure one of our resident medico's will correct me, but one christmas my mum bought me "Floyd On Hangovers" which tells it's own tale really.

It basically said that you've, literally, poisoned yourself with booze, so you need to get it out of your system asap and give your body things that will help it recover.

So exercise will help shorten the hangover as it gets the old circulation up and so the blood gets through your liver more often over a given timescale, which filters out the booze. On the other hand, calories, vitamins & minerals will aid recovery and give the body something to work with. And yes, hair of the dog helps you come down.

Apart from better booze, so less nasties in it, I don't know why you don't get hangovers on holiday. Maybe you get drunk on less drink, being higher and because you exercise prior to drinking, so the hangover is reduced below the pain threshold. I think you need to try harder in future - drink loads and mix them well - just for research purposes you understand snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that a lot of it has to do with your mood. If you wake up in a good mood, looking forward to the day ahead, your hangover will disappear pretty quickly no matter which country that you're in. If you wake up in a not so good mood, with nothing particularly to look forward to do during the day then you will tend to feel worse.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think I asked the same question here over a year ago, and got a variety of unconvincing theories in response.

My own developing theory, which I have been working on following 12 months of painstaking (and not altogether unenjoyable) experimenation is simply this:

When you're on a ski holiday, you go to bed very late and very drunk, and then get up early before the hangover has had a chance to kick in (i.e. you're still drunk). Then you get up the mountain and adrenalin and fresh air kick in and stop the hangover in its tracks. I find that if I'm skiing with a group that stops for mid-morning coffee, I immediately start feeling rough as soon as I sit down, and my control experiments (i.e. last Saturday trying to get round Tescos with the taste of tequila at the back of my throat providing me with unwelcome reminders of the Friday night) suggest that this is because the adrenalin levels are dropping and the fresh air is gone.

Still haven't managed to replicate the hangover-free Saturday at home, but will keep on trying (in the name of science, obviously).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Burt, I think you are absolutely right. I also find a mid morning "pression" helps...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an insulin dependent diabetic the hangover game brings it's own exciting off-shoots - guess the blood glucose levels hehehe. Actually - just test every hour - reckon the awakening and getting up the mountain before the evil feeling kicks in does have a lot to do with it.
snow report
Quote:

I go and then often sleep the rest of my hangover off afterwards. ..

13 years, Rip Van Winkle.....
snow conditions
@pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
2!
If I drink draught in weatherspoons I am guranteed a banging head the next day.
I dont really suffer from beer hangovers - but I know if ive been to a weatherspoons the following morning! (a few of the cheaper chain pubs has this affect on me!)

Also depends on the type of drink. As you say, german beer has purity laws. So no using clearing agents, gelatine, or other added chemicals, etc.
Dark spirits can give me that kicked in the head feeling - as well as wines that still contain sulphites & other impurities.
Basically its down to cheap ingredients.

I brew my own stuff & usually fine the next day. Maybe its because it gets the blood pumping & kicking your liver & kidneys into life to process out the crap.

But.... Nothing like fresh mountain air to sort you out!
snow report
Dave Burt wrote:
. last Saturday trying to get round Tescos with the taste of tequila at the back of my throat providing me with unwelcome reminders of the Friday night) .

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
That was not tequilla you was drinking. It was a mixo & only 1/2 made from blue agave
Believe me, a good tequila is up there with best Whiskeys.

Its quite sad JC has marketed tequila in such a way that most people will never try a proper one
latest report
I think it's just the mountain air that wakes you up and clears your head - and there is the motivation of going skiing, unlike at home.
ski holidays
I started to get bouts of menieres disease, 2-3weeks of tinnitus, feeling of pressure and hearing loss in my left ear which would suddenly clear ( apparently as the membrane between inner & middle ear ruptured ) leaving me dizzy with violent motion sickness for half a day, I could barely move without throwing up.

I eventually worked out that these bouts were always after drinking the night before but drinking didn't always result in a bout of Menieres. I eventually narrowed it down to British brewed lager causing the problem Carlsberg in tins being the worst offender.

I only drink premium lagers, real ales & wine now and no symptoms for ~8 years since I discovered that Carlsberg is probably the worst pi55 available.

As a teenager I would get terrible hangovers with headache & nausea, in my 50s I get worst headaches after just 3 pints, a jolly good skinfull and wake up still pi55ed is my advice to avoid hangovers, too much water before sleeping & you'll probably wake up in a wet bed (not that I have personal experience) or someone will wake up to you peeing in their wash basin🤣🤣.
snow report
Just amazing that it happens for quite few people, skiing is really something else.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
I think it's just the mountain air that wakes you up and clears your head - and there is the motivation of going skiing, unlike at home.

+ everyone being pilled up paracetamol for the muscle aches!
snow report
Bier is a much cleaner purer healthier in Austria/Switzerland than that warm fluid you drink in England
latest report
stanton wrote:
Bier is a much cleaner purer healthier in Austria/Switzerland than that warm fluid you drink in England

It's just a shame that the thought of Stanton being nearby makes it taste of vomit
snow report
stanton wrote:

Thats because they come under the Franconian rules like Bavaria.

Its the cheap pissy lager with all the added chemicals... Brands Most of which are owned by Heineken & Carlsberg + other crap like fosters & carling.
latest report
@tangowaggon, He's never near though so its safest place to be in St Anton......sat behind his taxi wheel in Zurich, or in his trolling studio nowhere near the Alps, submitting his webcam photos and video clips to his ever more mundane thread wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:

Its the cheap pissy lager with all the added chemicals... Brands Most of which are owned by Heineken & Carlsberg + other crap like fosters & carling.
Austrian and Swiss beer does not fall under the Bavarian 'Reinheitsgebot', and in fact a lot of German beer doesn't either (Weissbier / Weizenbier for example). But yes, it's cheap pissy Lager that is the problem. My worst hangover of all time came after drinking Carlsberg Special Brew... disgusting stuff!
snow conditions
It doesn't matter what i drink. If i get p!ssed the I am guaranteed a stinking hangover
ski holidays
Keeping yourself active out in the open sorts out any hangover! The mountains are the best cure for everything except a broken bone!
Also you generally drink a lot more water when up in the mountains which definately helps.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:

Austrian and Swiss beer does not fall under the Bavarian 'Reinheitsgebot', and in fact a lot of German beer doesn't either (Weissbier / Weizenbier for example). But yes, it's cheap pissy Lager that is the problem. My worst hangover of all time came after drinking Carlsberg Special Brew... disgusting stuff!

Vienna Pilsner & Bohemian Pilsner's are brewed under the same principles. All beers are. Rules may be te wrong word. Adopted principles describe it better Very Happy
snow report
Fresh air!

I have the same conundrum when away in the caravan in the summer - lots of booze and wake up feeling fine. But windows and sky lights always open in caravan.

Same with skiing, always have window open.

At home though window tends to be shut due to noise from street
ski holidays
I sleep better on holiday. Usually.

Must say that a poor night’s sleep for me feels very much like a hangover...
snow report
Let's see now, can a few of you get working on your hangovers and hit up a snowdome in the morning. That should give us some good data points to work with Very Happy
latest report
essex wrote:
Let's see now, can a few of you get working on your hangovers and hit up a snowdome in the morning. That should give us some good data points to work with Very Happy

Yeah okay, i'll take one for the team spoo
snow report
My body certainly works better in the cold. I don’t get hangovers as such anytime - just sometimes a bit of tiredness and lethargy from not enough sleep.
On a skiing holiday I’ve got bulk energy - but I do keep a light morning exercise routine going too.
Having said that my nights aren’t that big on holiday. I have a few beers after skiing and a couple of wines at dinner before hitting the sack about 9.30pm.
Party animal.
snow conditions
How much do you guys drink? I don't think I've had a hangover since I was 16.
latest report
davidof wrote:
How much do you guys drink? I don't think I've had a hangover since I was 16.

Oh come on davidof get with the programme, you are supposed to brag about how much you drink almost every night and then compain about your weight in different threads. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy