Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best stag-do resort in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - hope this is the correct section for my topic.

My mate is getting married next year and I'm left to organise his stag-do. He's wanting to do something a bit 'different' so I'm planning on organising a ski/snowboarding weekend as he's never done it before but is very interested in trying it. I've visited a few resorts but they've been more family-centric affairs. Does anyone have suggestions on the best resort to go for relatively cheap booze, decent runs, and good nightlife? I'm expecting it to take place in March next year - the only time I've snowboarded that late in the season was at Les Deux Alpes.

Thanks!
Kieran

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-10-17 14:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There can only be one! Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/sm2cFowtLlY
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easy answer.... see above!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know some lads who like to have "a bit of a drink" when they go skiing without paying big and they swear by Pas De Le Casa in Andorra.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dr_TobogganMD, Kitzbuhel or Ischgl
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve seen a LOT in Chamonix – easy to get to, big range of accommodation including weekends only, and lots of bars/restaurants/après table dancing.

Not that I’d recommend it – as I don’t like drunk people on my slopes NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did a stag in Pas de La Casa - way back when.
I have not been back in case they remember me from 15 years ago.
But back then the booze was cheap and plentiful, the skiing ok, the nightlife good, and the restaurants cheap.
Only "downside" was the longish transfer from Toulose - 3 hours on a bus, with nothing to do but sleep of the pre-stag hangover and make inroads into our duty free.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about snowbombing festival http://snowbombing.com/
Although it's early April.
But Mayrhofen is a great party place at any time.
Also look at Ishgl and Soll or St Anton.
The problem may be gettijng somewhere for just a weekend. As in high season places like you to book a week at a time.
Try ski weekends https://www.skiweekends.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwmqHPBRBQEiwAOvbR8zqP6FT7EdWsgklItfW2YK0oIEVD7E6v7XvsV6zqViazR5xMs_uZFxoCaSgQAvD_BwE
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is discouraged in St Anton

goto

Andorra or Bulgaria the drink is much cheaper
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rotterdam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=fWKwPCtEHuw
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl is the apres capital of the world IMO, and better than St Anton. Every single bar is rocking, and there are loads of them. Don't like one? Go to the next one along, it'll be just as busy. Fantastic skiing as well but it's not cheap.

Saalbach also has fabulous apres and isn't as pricey as Ischgl.

Val d'Isere also brilliant apres and skiing - but not cheap.

The cheapest places well known for stag parties are Borovets in Bulgaria and Pas de le Casa in Andorra.

There's good apres in Mayrhofen and I've heard Soll is also good.

The Austrians generally know how to party (with help from the Dutch and Brits).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're only going for a weekend I would definitely go to resorts with short transfer times, and also be aware that you may be limited with flights on Friday and Sunday/Monday. There's a few places near Geneva airport that fit your criteria, and I'd look at Munich too. Places like St Anton, Andorra, Val d'Isere etc are great for a week but not so handy for a short trip
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've done two ski stags in the past few years.
The first, we went to Ljubljana - great place. Fairly small, but lively and cheap beer. Skiing was about 30 mins drive away.
Second, went to Innsbruck and skied a couple of different resorts around there. Innsbruck was brilliant.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did Ischgl and Innsbruck a few years ago - brilliant.
snow report
St Anyon is easily doable for a short trip, Innsbruck airport is about an hour away, ditto Fredrichshafen. Easy transfer from Zurich too. I know somebody who would jump on a flight out of Gatwick Friday evening, be in St Anton for that night out, ski Saturday and Sunday before an evening flight back to Gatwick...
ski holidays
Ischgl for sure.

http://youtube.com/v/pQDGJ3ar3HY
snow report
@TQA, I hate all that - it's for w*nkers in the literal and metaphorical sense.

That's the worst of Austrian Apres in my view and detracts from the otherwise brilliant resorts of Ischgl and Saalbach
ski holidays
Pas de la casa would be the best if you want to keep costs sensible, after all it's going to be 10% skiing 90% getting smashed and pas will provide that, there is some good skiing to be had there too though.
snow report
Ischgl for beer, cheesiness and dancing girls (see Schatzi above).

St. Anton for beer and cheesiness (ignore Stanton it may not be officially encouraged but it won't be discouraged).

Good thing about Austria is the Wellness so plenty of opportunity to lounge in a sauna and pool and have a massage to work off the hangover.

However, for somewhere easier on the pocket try Sauze d'Oulx.

Personally unless everyone was going to do some kind of snow activity (ski, board, XC, snowshoeing) then I wouldn't bother organising a stag do in a ski resort.
ski holidays
"However, for somewhere easier on the pocket try Sauze d'Oulx."

Nicknamed 'Benidorm on ice' in the 80's and heaving with bars full of Brits -- is it still the same ?
snow report
@Dr_TobogganMD, I believe there's a big party week in Les Menuires next March, w/c 17th. International DJs, live bands, that sort of thing. Extensive skiing with enough easy stuff for those with hangovers.
snow report
Relatively cheap booze, weekend, skiing?

It does not mix well, I suggest you go to a fridge somewhere in UK, and do it sober. I hate seeing men wearing panties and L plates skiing in Val d'Isere. It is so tacky!
ski holidays
albob wrote:
"However, for somewhere easier on the pocket try Sauze d'Oulx."

Nicknamed 'Benidorm on ice' in the 80's and heaving with bars full of Brits -- is it still the same ?

Wasn't that bad in 2006 or 2014. Plenty of lively bars and clubs but not to Ischgl standards Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Dr_TobogganMD, lots of great suggestions...but what is your mate going to do while you are skiing/boarding? hardly seems worth learning for a couple of days, and for sure a big night will make him ruined for lessons
ski holidays
Definitely bansko for something like this, the transfer is a bit of a pain, but the drinks are cheap, so is accommodation and equipment, and the skiing is easy enough for beginners to still have a good time. I find it much more welcoming than a lot of the alpine resorts I've been to as there isn't any of the elitist Mentality, everyone's just there to have a good time rather than to be seen to be there
ski holidays
Easily Bansko, you don't need to shell out big bucks for beginners just finding their feet. Loads of bars and clubs, girls a plenty, couple of strip clubs. Snowmobiling is on offer and relatively cheap. Accessible for weekend trips.
snow report
Quote:

If you're only going for a weekend I would definitely go to resorts with short transfer times

This.

How do you even DO Bansko for a weekend? 3 Hour (infrequent) flights, 3 hour transfers? Not time economic, at all. Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easy,

Travel Friday, drinking your way there

Ski sat, sun

Travel back Monday, drinking your way home

Not that hard to figure out is it?

Loads of flights, BA, Ryanair, wizzair all fly to Sofia off the top of my head
latest report
If you're going to do Bulgaria, Borovets makes more sense than Bansko for a weekend just because the transfer is less than half the time and therefore cheaper. There are flights most days and you can easily book rooms for three or four nights.

https://www.stagmania.com/stag-weekends/borovets-ski-holidays-party/
latest report
@MountainIdiot, 2 days skiing for 2 days holiday?

Don’t be ridiculous when there are options allowing leaving the office at normal time and still getting to the bar in resort before last orders.

And leaving resort after lifts shut on Sunday and still getting home at a reasonable hour.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Dr_TobogganMD, lots of great suggestions...but what is your mate going to do while you are skiing/boarding? hardly seems worth learning for a couple of days, and for sure a big night will make him ruined for lessons

+1

As my name suggests, I am a woman and have not been a stag-go but what I have done is run the bar in our chalet when we've had stag-dos/a group of mates... without fail, no matter what the nature of the occasion, nor the gender or age mix of the group, you are guaranteed to get completely wrecked on the first night and have the next day as a write off - fine if you are an experienced skier/boarder but NOT for beginners. Recently had a group over with the first day planned to be canonying - the group turned up late and the guides instantly smelt the booze on them from the 'night before' (aka 5 a.m that morning)! They had a good time but they were all at the same level (i.e. beginners) and didn't do as much as they could have done were they not so hungover but at least they were all in the same boat... (and these are people who've booked a chalet were there are no strip clubs or 'girls aplenty' so were actually going for the activities)... would be rubbish for the stag if he's a total beginner.
snow report
Given that he has never done it before, he probably doesn't want to get injured before the big day. I would save a fortune and go to Castleford indoor slope having based myself in Leeds. That would give him a chance to learn in safety and not be 'egged on' to come to the top by his hungover mates that have skied/boarded before. Still plenty of time for apres in the city centre.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

Hadn’t picked up on that.

I’ll repeat, Rotterdam for an evening trip from Amsterdam, all necessary stag tools available and a bit different.

A ski weekend would not be my first idea for someone who’s never been.
snow report
@under a new name,

It's obviously not for you then, I presume we must all do as you say? Nothing particularly ridiculous, if it's further away, it takes longer to get there
snow report
@MountainIdiot, no, I just have a well founded and strong opinion.

Do whatever you like.

But I wouldn’t take a day off work to spend it in airports and transfers when there was no compelling reason and I could avoid it.

Maybe you like airport bars better than I do, and I quite like them.
ski holidays
The problem with resorts that are great for a stag do is that they're generally full of men.
snow conditions
Solden has (or used to have ) its fair share of seedy bars but it's madness to combine a ski trip with a stag do.
snow conditions
It's a fair point that a ski stag trip is probably a waste of time for the stag if he's never been before. He probably won't ski at all, and even if he does he won't learn anything in two days and he'll be away from the group who can ski.

Go to somewhere like Budapest instead, then go on a proper lads' week skiing some other time when he'll have more time to learn properly and slightly less of a hangover.
snow report
Downmarket = Ischgl.
Upmarket = Verbier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy