Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

base edge angles after a light base grind.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I was on a small ski tour up in Glencoe last weekend and I managed to ski directly over a rock / stone to the extent that I had a long straight line of damage on one of my bases...not deep enough to justify a full PTEX repair but enough that I nipped into the ski tech and asked advice, he suggested a very light base grind which would tidy up the edges of the damage and lessen the depth of the damage...I said I would be ok with cleaning the bases and re-waxing so he very kindly did it there and then for beer money.....now here comes my problem...I have all the right kit to do my side edges and waxing but do I need to re-do the base edge angle (Volkl Kendo 1 degree) after the gind?

If I do it will mean I either have to put them into a shop or go buy a base edge tool.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was taught the stone is only to provide base structure. And the base should be dead flat and you don’t stone grind edges otherwise they are a pita to turn on. So in summary if you brought me that I’d possibly hand fix the hole and Ptex it anyway. Then if the damage wasn’t too bad maybe pass it on the stone tail first then tip first with light pressure as possible. Your edges should be fine if you hand finish them and deburr them. Hopefully your skis were flat as well but I could be entirely wrong
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
depends how 'light'is 'light'. If all the tech did is take off the raised edge of the scar then probably ok. If you've got a base edge guide with you you could blacken the base edge with a marker pen and polish it off with a fine diamond stone in the guide to see if the angles have been changed. It would seem unlikely that a tech would miss the opportunity to sell you a full service if he wase going to do something that would change your base angle though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bases were flat before the damage so he was really just taking the raised edge of the scar off, the actual line of the scar is still visible but only because I know its there. so he was very light with the pressure, I was hoping I could just de-fluff with a brass brush and do 2 or 3 waxes to get the bases back to good.

he had them away for less than 5 mins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a bit confused by this!

If he really was that light with the pressure then probably no need to re-do edge angles. But that also begs the question of why bother running them over the stone if the damage was so superficial that "very light pressure" removed it to a point where it's only visible to you as you know it was there previously!?!

Anyway, you've got the stuff to re-set the edge angles, so just run some permanent marker along a section of base edge, run the file/stone along lightly and you'll quickly tell if the base angle is correct.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dashed wrote:
But that also begs the question of why bother running them over the stone if the damage was so superficial that "very light pressure" removed it to a point where it's only visible to you as you know it was there previously!?!

I think the clue to that lies here...
Quote:

he very kindly did it there and then for beer money

Whether the primary reason was the beer money, or just to have a customer leave happy I wouldn't like to suggest...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy