Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecton/Evo Toe Issue

Poster: A snowHead
Fritschi's 4th attempt at getting the Vipec toe right for the Evo/Tecton looks like it needs a rethink. Pics of boot damage from knee falls in locked-out walk mode. A bit of basic multi boot brand testing should've easily highlighted this.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which is better / worse, this boot damage, or the automatic toe release that happened with the original Beast 16's with some boots?

Is it better to stay in the binding and damage your boot, or have the ski come off?

Anyway, what is the function of that stub, is it a toe locator?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PowderAdict wrote:
Which is better / worse, this boot damage, or the automatic toe release that happened with the original Beast 16's with some boots?....

When the 1st gen Beast 16 was launched retailers were advised as to which boots it wasn't compatible with. This is the 4th gen of this toe - well actually the 5th as I believe that there was in 'in production' change on the Black toe. I wouldn't have fancied my toes chances if that was my boot.

PowderAdict wrote:
...what is the function of that stub, is it a toe locator?

It's what releases the binding in a forward fall when in ski mode.

Actually, my initial post is misleading because this an issue with all boots, it's just the extent of the damage is likely to be brand/model specific, ie toe shape, plastic used etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon, just glad i have kingpin.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oops...........
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Same sort of fall just broke the baseplate of my Dynafit toes:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2528849
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd rather have the front release of the Tecton as it is designed for when skiing and the side lateral release when skinning up and the possibility of getting caught in a slide than worrying what will happen if I happen to fall over flat on my face in walk mode rolling eyes

Where were these images posted originally as I didn't think @spyderjon, sold them?

Aaaaaahhh bit of Googling found it and much more a sensible debate but there is an issue to deal with rolling eyes

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/307063-Fritschi-Tecton/page12

Note to self and OH don't try and fall flat on your face when climbing, fortunately I have these mounted on powder skis so that type of fall is not so prevalent as opposed to Spring touring.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess that answers some questions about the robustness of the plastic used in the Tectons.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s fair to say that pin bindings have become far safer and almost as usable as ‘conventional’ frame bindings. However, IMV there’s still a higher degree of risk you must accept if you use them. Some pre-release, some don’t release, some punch a small reminder in your boot that no one’s perfect at skinning...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Side of stomp pad broke on both bindings, one on both sides."

https://www.wildsnow.com/23632/tecton-test-bindings-breakage/#more-23632

Presented without comment other than an obligatory and inscrutable rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mishmash, just like what happened to my radical ST afd...bit irritating but not a lot more than that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...having just spent 3 days chasing Swiss locals through, over and off anything into heavy chopped snow, I can confirm these are pretty bombproof and more substantial than the Vipec. A noticeable improvement in ease of step in. Far more substantial too; none of the play in the heel that the Vipec had. Impressed. Touring capability to be tested in 2 weeks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sharkymark, have I said that I reckon I'm going to get at least another couple of days a season on skiing with these?

Well not so much because I'm using them but my OH is and she's getting in so much quicker than her old Vipecs that all that extra time saved will mount up Toofy Grin

I've lost count of the hours I've used them so far this season in all conditions / temps and have climbed with them as well.

I've had one fairly rapid ejection from them when at speed I caught a ski round a tree and thankfully released sans issue.

They were never going to be my all out touring binding but mounted on my Black Crows Atris 184s they are my all mountain rig of choice, though having done so much time on them so far this season they are looking quite used already, skis that is. And in fact due to their weight etc they would perfectly suffice on other all out touring skis.

Still impressed but there are some nagging doubts over the images at the top. I await to see what Diamir's response will be and will contact the UK suppliers post my trip to Japan.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, Diamir have responded - basically just said "don't knee fall in touring mode."
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam, haha! Having praised them the only thing I did notice was the toes iced up enough to need pole-whacking to release them.

I had an unintended sit down in some crusty crud and the skis released very smoothly indeed.

@clarky999, quite! Knee falling is at best uncomfortable and at worst suicidal on an exposed skin track. I guess the assumption is anyone using it is unlikely to do so and if they do, a slight dent in the boot could well be the least of their problems.
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, after skiing and leaving skis in the van overnight I engage the toe piece rather than leave it open as OH has had a few issues when getting in them having frozen in the van overnight.

Mind you have had the same problems with other bindings over the years, notably Dynafiddles.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Fritschi's 4th attempt at getting the Vipec toe right for the Evo/Tecton looks like it needs a rethink. Pics of boot damage from knee falls in locked-out walk mode. A bit of basic multi boot brand testing should've easily highlighted this.

Hi Jon,

There is a list of boots that Fritschi do not reccomend using with the Tecton/Evo. A few of the lighter weight boots ( softer, thinner plastics ) do not fair well with the bumper, we know that. The Scarpa F1, Atomic backlands ( over DIN 9 ), Salomon MTN ( over DIN 9 ) and S-Lab and Dynafit TLT 7. Fritschi did test nearly all the boots available and only found a small handful that didnt work perfectly. Give us a ring if you want to have a chat about it. Happy to help ....Thanks
ski holidays
@anything_technical, hi there Elaine my OH is using Scott SuperGuides with hers and as I've already mentioned is loving them and has probably clocked up 40+ days on them (yet to really eject though) and she is on din circa 6 so presume there should be no issues for her?

I'm on Blue MTN Lab's and I'm probably around din 8 so might they release at that setting ?

There's one slack country tour we do here in Serre which involves a 400m climb and then a long -1% descent back to the chair with a bit of a flat runout, so best option is to leave skins on and ski down free heel and it's like this when you are most likely to fall so now I switch from walk mode to ski mode. That said on many tours there's often a little descent involved.

A lot of people are asking about them and as I say the Black Crow Atris / Tecton combi & MTN Labs is what I've used for 95% of my outings since November.

In Japan in the uber cold temps and deep powder they worked a treat on three tours I did, as well as on the other days in various conditions.

Only issue is now my lovely 115 Coombacks and Dynafiddles have not had an outing this year
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@anything_technical

Only issue is now my lovely 115 Coombacks and Dynafiddles have not had an outing this year

No prob, give them to me and I'll blow the cobwebs out Laughing
latest report
Gave the vipecs a damn good thrashing for 10 days or so in the big storms of late Jan. Managed a few tours too. The heel system is straightforward to use. Only issue worth mentioning is in wet snow conditions, snow can build up beneath the heel, preventing touring mode from being fully engaged. A few sharp taps sorted it.

Also tested the mythical knee fall world-on-fire after an encounter with a buried tree in a particularly lively bit of skin track. Toe released smoothly with no undue pressure and no resulting dent (Lange XT130). There’s nothing to see here, people. A fantastic free touring binding.
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:

Also tested the mythical knee fall world-on-fire after an encounter with a buried tree in a particularly lively bit of skin track. Toe released smoothly with no undue pressure and no resulting dent (Lange XT130).

TBF, the XT130 is a MUCH tougher boot than most lightweight touring boots like the Salomon etc.... Glad it worked for you tho Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, it goes back to what matters to the user: lightweight with the threat of breakage or heavyweight and bombproof? Really lightweight kit will always be exposed to a greater risk of the inserts pulling out, buckles falling off, cracks, dents in the toe if you spaff up a lunge...but yes, it certainly worked pour moi snowHead
ski holidays
I spoke to the UK importers yesterday and OH's boots are fine and my MTN Lab should be as I'm below Din9 - did a superb ejection from them yesterday when in bad viz I did not see a drop that was not usually there !!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy