Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of returning to Zermatt from New York for the week of February 12-18. Ski Monday-Sunday. I was there last year in early March and it was fantastic. From my understanding that week for the first 6 days of my trip would be UK half term and the last 2 days would be French zones A+C. Reading these forums there are many horror stories of skiing half term. Considering that week is presidents week in the US, it is not like the resorts here would be all that empty. I guess my question is, is Zermatt, as compared to say the french resorts or st anton which seem to be more popular with brits, that bad over half term or will it be a week from hell? I get the sense from forums and what not that maybe zermatt does not get as bad as other places. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It certainly won’t be a week from hell. Zermatt is not exactly family-oriented; it is expensive and the skiing is spread out and often challenging. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find lots of families. It's probably one of the better resorts if you must go at half term.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skiandgolfnut, Only been once at half term and it was a while ago but it wasn’t too busy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always funny, Anglosaxon ethnocentrism.
Would not worry too much about English half-term.
More about it being the Fasching/Carnaval week. Second busiest week of the season (after Christmas). All Catholic Europe and more will be on holiday.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 17-10-17 21:04; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There will be zero French. The issue is more Brits cramming the Saturday flights into Geneva in order to hit the French Savoyard resorts. If coming form NY look at routing through ZRH and pay up for a good train connection. Zurich/Geneva is about 15 mins in it if I recall correctly.

But if you liked Zermatt so much last time there are also plenty of other Euro / Swiss resorts that you fancy as well? Engelberg, Andermatt, Arlberg, Dolomites, Verbier?? What sort of skiing are you after? Zermatt is not top of the league other than for food, views and prices! (But you got to do the views once!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
About 5 years ago I did Boston->LHR->Geneva then train Geneva Airport direct to Martigny and picked up by car from there. By that time it was about 9.30pm if I recall. So it'd be worth working backwards to make sure you depart NY in time to realistically get to your destination. If I recall, the transfer time in LHR T4 was longer than I expected but you have to leave enough margin for a delayed flight out of the US into London. And make sure you can check the baggage through to Switzerland (I could as it was all-BA). Use the Swiss train scheduler at https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html to work out connections on the Swiss side.

I was a bit apprehensive, but as it turned out, everything went very smoothly and I wasn't as exhausted as I expected by the time I got to Martigny. Taking the train seemed to make the last leg more relaxing than the usual drive in the dark as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skiandgolfnut, If it has to be that week, Zermatt is probably one of the best choices as it's less exposed to the Brit invasion and of course none of the Euro countries want to change their money into CHF
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh dear. British arrogance and ignorance is also here in Snowheads.
There is no such thing as a 'Brit invasion' in skiing. You Brits are just too few compared to EU skiers!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately that is the only week we can go. It seems like most of the responses suggest it is not so bad half term so that is good. As for why Zermatt, well I think it is just a spectacular place to ski and hang out. Am fortunate that the expensive side of Zermatt is not an issue, we had a great trip last year and felt comfortable with the cost. Expense aside, the food is incredible, the views are incredible, and the off piste is out of this world. We had a guide for 5 days last year that took us all over and it was some of the best skiing weve done anywhere. For 5 days we had untouched powder on nearly every run. I get the sense St Anton or Verbier or Val have more of an off piste culture than Zermatt does and perhaps gets skid off quicker. I will get to those places one day too. But for half term considering the crowds at those place Zermatt seems like a safer bet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the record, not being an off piste guy, the piste skiing and the food in Zermatt is way ahead of Verbier. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
True, but indeed Zermatt is overrated as pisteparadise. The actual skiing in Zermatt is just not that great. Food, scenery and atmosphere are excellent though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am only a brit holiday skier, but have been skiing since 1972. It is simply the best I have been to, I do include Cervinia in this thought though!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skiandgolfnut, Great choice- Zermatt is amazing- as you say - food, views, off piste- and the vertical are all superlative (as are the prices). If I could afford it I'd ski in Zermatt over anywhere else - if the choice for one trip was ; either Zermatt or another European resort (with family- price irrelevant).

Have a wonderful time and post some photos! Think about a day's heliskiing as well. Can be quite technical.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Regarding the pistes, Id have to agree that they werent the best, having said that I get the sense that as someone that skis in the western US most of the year, I will think piste skiing is bad nearly everywhere in Europe. Tough to beat perfect wide groomed runs. I was amazed in Zermatt that a week after a storm the off piste was untouched. Everyone just stuck to the pistes. I made fresh tracks every day for a week. I dont know if other resorts off piste gets tracked out faster, but Zermatt was superb in this regard. Also, the scale of the off piste blows away expert skiing in US. I ski snowbird, jackson hole, big sky all the time and I have no problem ranking Zermatt right up there with them for off piste terrain. Even better when you consider its almost always untracked. Those mountains get skid off in about 3 hours after a storm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skiandgolfnut, great choice! Consider a heli drop on the Italian side as mentioned above. And going on your off piste bias i’d also recommend trying to fit in a day in Verbier if you have the chance. If you’re flying into Geneva it’s on the route to Zermatt. Your guide would possibly also drive you there for a day. Enjoy!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy