Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smaller/quieter European resort with some challenge for experienced piste skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the comments! So many ideas to consider.

ADH - bit worried about sun/slush there
Ischgl - went mid-Jan a few years ago, it was fab, maybe will revisit that option (although was incredibly cold which the OH didn't enjoy too much).
Lech/St Anton/Zurs - was there last year (1st week March) staying in Lech (after 2 previous trips staying in St Anton) and it was disappointing - all the bits we liked before were so busy now they have the new lift links.
Åre - went a few years ago, liked it but again the serious, face-stripping cold did not tempt OH to return (now I am sounding as if I don't want cold or warmth I know...)
Champoluc - for some reason I thought this was quite low, will look again
Val/Tignes - haven't been there, keep thinking about going but felt it would be crowded that time of year

Starting to wonder if first week of Feb (3 - 11) might be a better plan for avoiding crowds, if we can work it out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VodkaSorbet wrote:
ADH - bit worried about sun/slush there

I wouldn't. If you haven't been before I would say it would be ideal. Here's my trip report from April in not ideal conditions but still a good trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VodkaSorbet wrote:
Val/Tignes - haven't been there, keep thinking about going but felt it would be crowded that time of year

Starting to wonder if first week of Feb (3 - 11) might be a better plan for avoiding crowds, if we can work it out.

I have to say you seem a bit obsessed with lift queues and crowds! Especially given you don't ski the busiest weeks.

Most places have some pinch points at certain times of the day. And conditions sometimes force people to congregate. You just have to be savvy and work your way round it.

Avoid ski school meet up points in the morning. Either get out early or slightly later.
Don't follow the herd. Punters are like wilderbeest, they tend to follow the same migrating patterns.
3pm people start heading back to their domain, area - starting a flow. Either move earlier or later.
Ski through lunch as much as possible.
Become knowledgeable on those out of the way areas.
Ski late. There is nothing better than skiing until the last lift and enjoying the empty slopes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, it sounds as though the OP is an experienced skier and therefore probably knows these things.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The crowds are attracted to the large resorts with a well known name. Better to base yourself in a valley and then pick off a variety of smaller resorts in the area.

For example, is this black in St Francoise Longchamp challenging enough? It certainly was for one poor chap who had to be choppered off:

And nearby is Les Karellis that offers a great variety of pistes in a small space. Much of what you can see here is actually off-piste but gets well skied. Those folk in the middle are actually on a red piste and there is another spicy one just inside the shadow to the left.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Champoluc village is about 1,600m and the skiing goes up to around 3,400m - I don’t think that’s terribly low...

Season starts early December, lifts only close after Easter because the Italians are slothful beach bums.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VodkaSorbet wrote:

Yep, do that and go to Val D. As others have said, first week in March is busy in France and best avoided. Sorry I didn't read that bit!

I think you'd enjoy Saalbach-Hinterglemm, you can just travel so much and the lifts are great. It has some challenges if you want them.

Mayrhofen and Schladming are worth a look too.

If you're fast piste skiers, I think the big domains with efficient lifts are for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unfortunately yes I am a little bit obsessed with crowds and queues after the last 2 years' March trips. Just seemed so much worse than previous times. Perhaps that's after 2 years in North America though, forgot what to expect.

We are out on first lifts!

Thanks for the info on champoluc, not low at all. Must have been confusing the name with somewhere else.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VodkaSorbet wrote:
Unfortunately yes I am a little bit obsessed with crowds and queues after the last 2 years' March trips. Just seemed so much worse than previous times. Perhaps that's after 2 years in North America though, forgot what to expect.

We are out on first lifts!

Don't get me wrong it bugs me too I'm just not sure there is a magic bullet. When we went to Les Contamines there were a few lift break downs. And the run back to base is a bit of a mare (many prefer to lift download) but there is also a lot to like. When I stayed in Les Menuires the lift out opened relatively late and was always mobbed by the time it opened. All stuff you have to ride with a bit. The suggestion to get a base and do a few smaller places isn't a bad one if you can handle that sort of trip. Definitely picking the right week is another - if you can do that. Perhaps go somewhere more exotic (Georgia). Good luck in your quest
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@intermediate, Ischgl will be heaving first week of March.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VodkaSorbet, most people know very little about Champoluc. Which is part of its charm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

When we went to Les Contamines there were a few lift break downs. And the run back to base is a bit of a mare (many prefer to lift download)

Think you were a unlucky with the lifts but one does really needs replacing.
Run to resort - would have thought that wasn't an issue for the "experienced piste skiers looking for a challenge"
I rather enjoy it even when it is patchy late season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Tignes in early February. Endless amounts of excellent piste skiing. Tons of conveniently located SC apartments - ski in / ski out or very close. To me that trumps the unsightly tower block nature of the accommodation. Plenty of other excellent recommendations above by people with far more knowledge than me but if you like the larger resorts and plan on spending most of your days on your skis then you certainly won't be disappointed with Tignes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OP wrote:
A reasonably attractive base (i.e. not French tower blocks) would be preferable

adriangrogan wrote:
+1 for Tignes
Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy