Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

At what age did you start to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
25 - two weeks in austria - won a set of skis in a raffle on the last night.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PaulC1984,"Started at 8, skied until 14, then horses and girls took over" was that Riding or gambling on??
horses not girls obviously Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulC1984 wrote:
Started at 8, skied until 14, then horses and girls took over, had a break until I was 18 when I realised Skiing was more fun and less hassle

+1 (Cheaper too)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@terrygasson, haha. Riding, and chasing - and that was just the ladies.......

Anyway, back to skiing Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
20. Minus 3 days, so still a teenager.

And I too remember where I did my first parallel turn (probably not carving in those days). Strangely, that was in Fieberbrunn where I have now ended up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
35, five years ago, when it seemed like we were staying in Sweden and thought our 4 year old (at the time) should learn winter sports. Trying to ski as much as my vacation allowance and finances will allow, which was about 30 days last season and aiming for same this season. Got a good ski buddy now as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
one week with school aged 12
another aged 17
every year since I could pay myself
I'm 47 tomorrow.

I'm surprised more people aren't saying they skied as small children. Perhaps most people who grew up skiing are just too blase about it unlike us obsessives?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steilhang, my first experience was in rubber welly boots with moulded mild steel toe bindings and cabled heels ... I did have waterproof trousers but no breathability at all.

The boot/binding combination led to many tears and I maintain my parents didn’t realise the problem until my blood soaked baby feet were taken out of the chewed up boots.

Anyway, I then skied in Scotland in totally not waterproof race pants and only shower proof jackets, as did everyone else till I escaped at 21.

Skin is waterproof.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
according to my mother i was put on ski's at about age 4 and just went off and did it,apparently someone was trying to tell me what to do but i'd already gone!

however didn't go again until i was 15 in michigan somewhere, can't for the life of me remember the name of it, i just remember there being loads of rope drags, then another large gap till I was 29 when the mrs aunt made us all go skiing on her birthday for some reason, very much hoooked since then! 33 in December
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tried cross country skiing at 21. Then nothing for 41 years. Started Alpine this year at age 62. I wish I'd done it years ago. Never mind, better late than never.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Awdbugga, All that matters is you put on skis rather than a board - 1-0 to us skiers attracting another to the club Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was 12. It was a school trip to Saas Fee, staying at the Hotel Allalin and taught by Peter Lomatter.

I must make a pilgrimage back and see if there are any Lomatters still teaching there.

There were 10 Swiss Francs to the Pound (IIRC). Shocked

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 16-10-17 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was either six or seven. Not sure which. It was love at first sight, although I was something of a slow learner. On and off skiing until my early twenties. Then only did it occasionally until my daughter, 5 at the time, caught an interest and I got to take her skiing. Big emotional reunion with my old friend, skiing. After that, it's been at least one or two holidays per season and I intend to keep it that way as long as I can stand on a pair of skis.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
13 or it could have been 14
Stayed at the Hotel Post, Pertisau on Achensee.
No lift for us.
Learnt to side step and herringbone and sort of snow plough + traverse ... I've still got the bronze badge somewhere.

Skis were from ground to tip of "Heil Hitler" finger tips, with rat trap "safety bindings" with big long spring to hold the heel down.
Boots were leather with laces, kit was quilted black quilted nylon annarack and jeans.

I also learnt how to smoke cigarettes and drink beer at 9d per pint.
I also learnt what "Rubber Johnie's" were ... they are for making water bombs, you can get about 5 litres of water in them.
Someone said they were to stop having babies! ... the things they tell kids, I ask you.

Great school trip skiing.
snow report
I started at 35 when a friend who was going through a shitty divorce (Is there another kind?) suggested popping along to the Plymouth Plastic slope where he had last been while at school. The years of fags and beer hadn't stood him in good stead and he soon gave up but I am still here at 47, bitten. Never been back to plastic since then though. Nasty Dendrix evil stuff although I am told they have upgraded to something better now.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@Hurtle, Embarassed
ski holidays
@DrLawn, Laughing Laughing
latest report
I was around 40.
wasn't even a ski trip, we spent a week in Poland and zakopane and tried it out.
hooked from the 1st go, ill never forget it.
The mountains, the snow, the icicles on the wooden buildings, the natural fires and food with this exhilarating skiing.
it was like being alive for the first time and experiencing things like a child.
Couldn't get enough, now 5 years later I'm away to the alps for a full season and have a desire to be in the mountains permanently!
snow report
About 13 or 14 at Glenshee; used to go up almost every weekend as I grew up in Perth. That was 42 years ago & I've just come back to it after nearly 30 years away. I'm enjoying it hugely & am especially enjoying taking our 13 year old twin boys skiing & they just can't get enough of it & remind me of myself at the same age.
ski holidays
I was 35, on a climbing trip in the Canadian Rockies when my mate talked me into trying it while the avi risk kept us off the ice falls. I got rather addicted Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
34. 30 years ago last march, and I have skied every winter since.
Needed something to do during the winter months instead of diving Laughing , simple as that.
snowHead's has been a great find for me Toofy Grin
latest report
@PaulC1984, did you have your little 'un with you at the CF on Sunday? If it was you. I was behind you, when you out of the blue pushed him over with your skis into the plastic fencing. Poor little mite. Scarred for life. I couldn't stop laughing though.
snow report
@Awdbugga, that's was me Happy Happy

Little toad keeps throwing snow over me so I push him over when I get the chance Happy Happy

He pays me back when we play ice hockey, have a lovely stickING mark on my nose tonight rolling eyes - that and he runs rings round me!
snow report
Two weeks before my 44th, arm twisted to trying this skiing thing ... do it for the kids they said. I now go the most Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@djf, your lucky. At least you are faster than the kids, most parents spend their lives trying to catch up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:

Little toad keeps throwing snow over me so I push him over when I get the chance Happy Happy

He pays me back when we play ice hockey, have a lovely stickING mark on my nose tonight rolling eyes - that and he runs rings round me!

Laughing I wish I'd have started skiing at that age.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
25 or thereabouts
snow conditions
Awdbugga wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Indeed although it's not good mums nerves! Had bets on how many turns he would get in. He bet me 20, I counted 2 - one at the top and the second to stop, the little rat Happy
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Indeed although it's not good mums nerves! Had bets on how many turns he would get in. He bet me 20, I counted 2 - one at the top and the second to stop, the little rat Happy

Yes, but he's having the time of his life. He's got a grin from ear to ear; but the best thing is - he's doing it with his Dad. Priceless.
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin indeedy
latest report
I started at 16 in Aviemore. I remember a gust of wind blowing me over, when I looked around everybody had been blown over. You could volunteer to operate the t bar(with no training) for an hour at lunch time for a free day ticket. I couldn’t work out what was so special about skiing that James Bond did it.
A couple of years later I had my first trip to the alps, Cervinia never been back to Scotland skiing since, that was all over 40years ago.
latest report
I started skiing at 34 when I was working in Sweden as our boss decided it was good for team building. I skied a lot until we returned to the UK 10 years later. I then had a 27 year break from skiing which ended when I decided to take it up again aged 71. Went on my first bash last year and going on the BB this season.
snow report
@Rabbie, fair play to you. Can only pray in still skiing at 71yrs young!
snow report
In a nutshell: 40-odd, when a mate convinced me to try it so I went on a trip with a few friends. Completely hooked and stumbled upon Snowheads not long after that trip, and then signed up for my first Eosb, didn't know anyone, made a lot of friends and have never looked back Toofy Grin
ski holidays
42. Wish I had done it years earlier. Without a shadow of doubt one of the best things I have done in my life.
latest report
@PaulC1984,
Quote:

Can only pray in still skiing at 71yrs young!

And why not? I've got a couple of days to go to achieve that!
snow report
42. Wish I had done it years earlier. Without a shadow of doubt one of the best things I have done in my life.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, indeed. Certainly gives me hope, although with my knee it'll need replacing before then Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy