Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone watching the Ladies moguls on BBC2?

Poster: A snowHead
Great skiing, not convinced about the commentary...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The missus and I second that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, not watching the moguls (Watching the men's biathlon from Eurosport this morning) but I only watched Ski Sunday for the first time last week because it was from Chamonix and I'd been. I've previously just followed the world cup on ES plus the C4 stuff which I think is excellent, and have to say, I found the BBC coverage, including the commentry very dissapointing in comparison.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Owen wrote:
The missus and I second that.

And me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always worth watching - they're all babes!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure I understand the judging criteria on the aerials - Jenn Heil had great speed & style on the ground but safety airs. Presumably FIS outlaw grabs.

And I once rode a chairlift with Kari Traa - fame indeed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kari Traa was robbed Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe, but she's definitely better looking.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges wrote:
Maybe, but she's definitely better looking.

Indeed she is.

That big, fat lezzer Clare Balding probably fancies her too.

I was happy with the blonde, French, blonde medal positions until the last one spoilt everything.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny, absolutely. The way she slid effortlessly back into rhythm after the second bump? Like liquid...oooh so smooth. Do not understand why she didn't get gold. She'd get it though, grrrrr Twisted Evil

fatbob, I don't understand the judging either. To me, Traa had way better air and just as good turns... I bet she has lovely bumps too. And a lovely

I think I'll stop there. Sophie might be reading.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Missed the end, we decided to mark the start of the skiing competition with a tartiflette for dinner. The beauty of a car with an electric coolbox/fridge in it, you can stock up with reblochon on the way home. Now, where's that creme de cassis....................... ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, Quit digging, while you still can Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The little Japanese was cute though her performance was a little twitchy. Mind you she could come round and prove me wrong...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back to the commentary. Can Mark Chilton ski? the BBC website says he "worked" in a number of resorts so knows the "circuit well". Hmmm, really? I know quite a few people who have done many seasons who can't ski. Pretty handy with a pint in hand and a pool cue though.

I didn't find his narrative useful, entertaining or consistent. I would really have liked someone qualified to have explained the slightly bizarre scores. Even just to put them into context - was 23.49 good? or bad? What is it out of at least.

Now, I'm not saying I could do a better job but where's David Vine when we need him?

An entertaining critique on BBC snowsports commentary from the Daily Telegraph here

Roll on the Mens bumps on (I think) Wednesday!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:
Back to the commentary. Can Mark Chilton ski?

Is it important to be a skier in order to be be a ski commentator? I think it adds a bit extra if the person behind the microphone can actually do the stuff on skis.
snow conditions
David Murdoch,
Quote:

Now, I'm not saying I could do a better job but where's David Vine when we need him?

At least you can ski bumps...we have seen the evidence wink
ski holidays
Traa woz robbed! How did she manage to get knocked back into silver position? I agree with the above, explanation of the scores would have helped!
snow report
Great skills on show among the ladies. Makes you wonder if they can still climb a flight of stairs by the time they hit 40 without painkillers!
Quote:
Roll on the Mens bumps on (I think) Wednesday!

When you think that our best freestyle moguls exponent Simon Bates actually scored World Cup points in December - some feat in itself - and yet was not selected to go to Turin. Unbelievable.

29 years old, could have been his last shot too. Not as if we're exactly overwhelmed with world class winter sports competitors.
snow report
From what I could gather the turns earned more points than the jumps, so if you did a cracking jump, but were shocking on the turns then you didn't have a hope over unspectacular jumps but precise turns Sad It certainly made the winning run a bit of anticlimax - and even her coach's reaction wasn't overenthusiastic when she finished. (Commentry in this household "She won with that?! Why?") I missed the start so I have no idea if they explained the scoring at that point, and then never mentioned it again?
snow conditions
A lot of her turns looked pretty edgy to me, not smooth at all. Should have been bronze IMHO. Traa was robbed indeed. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Who whole run didn't look anything special to me, but then I don't really have much of an idea what I'm looking at/for - I was having more fun judging it on the 'firework' rating of the jumps (the more 'oohs' and 'aaahs', the better the score!) The turns had to be really sloppy or really good for me to notice Puzzled
snow report
I only caught the last 3 or 4 runs but the winner didn't look particularly impressive. I was hoping Traa would win. I didn't see her ski. I'm just sad. Embarassed
snow report
Looks like Traa has a strong snowHeads fanclub Laughing Laughing Laughing

But I agree they need to explain more clearly how points are won if they want people to understand the sport
snow report
Heil was stiff and cautious on the first half,then skied safe for the remainder.Her coach looked unimpressed and,when the points came up,Traa was gobsmacked.She(Traa)clearly did the better run and was robbed IMHO.

Just looked on the official web site.Three of the top officials are Canadian,inc the head judge!Do I spot a post olympic voting scandal rolling eyes

Interesting fact No2.How steep do you think the course is?Looked about 45degrees on the camera.In fact it is 26.5
snow conditions
Oh,and Traa easily won 'best babe on the mountain'.Thats worth a few extra points surely wink
ski holidays
Got to say I thought Traa was robbed too.

Do you know where they put the course ? It's at the bottom of Sauze as you leave the village and join the road down, they constructed the 'hill' my taking a load of earth and dumped it over the side off to the right. Apparently my Turin mole tells me they have an agreement where by they have to remove all that earth afterwards and put it back where they got it from. Sounds daft I know.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, I don't think you need to be. David Vine isn't a skier but then apparently he could commentate excellently on any topic with minimal instruction. I just felt that Chilton was inane, unhelpful and unentertaining.

2 points: through the first half he made several comments about racers "carving" their turns. AFAIK one doesn't "carve" thru bumps. if I'm wrong, please someone shout.

He was also grossly inconsistent - one racer was criticised for a dodgy landing in the "live" run and then complemented on the same landing on replay. I appreciate that commentating live sport is rather difficult, but...

snowbunny, cheers!!

PG, not the first time I have heard of strange selection decisions...

snowskisnow, agreed on both points. Heil appeared to my laymans eyes to pull unimpressive jumps and no better turns than Traa - who pulled one awesome jump and an (again in my eyes) immaculate 2nd - with a beautiful landing. She is also definitely BOTM. Canadian voting scandal? Surely these folks are above all that sort of thing?

Now where did I leave my Vicks inhaler?
snow report
Personally I'd far rather watch ladies' bumps than men's any day but for those like David who can't wait until wednesday, there's a preview here.

Going green Going green Going green
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Totally agree too .... couldn't believe the last girly down got gold! that rather attractive girl was indeed completely robbed!!!
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
Quote:

Can Mark Chilton ski?

I think you mean Matt! Yes he can definitely ski pretty well but was never a racer. He worked quite a few seasons in late 80s as a ski guide for Mark Warner I think (Val Dispair). He's been on Ski Sunday for over 10 years now and before that worked a number of years for Eurosport so I'd say he has been around the circuit enough and does a pretty good job. Agreed, today wasn't his finest performance but then his main audience isn't us lot.

Best coverage was on Eurosport. Nick Fellows (moonlighting from his C4 spot) had Hugh Hutchinson in the box with him. Hugh skied moguls for us in an Olympics (maybe Albertville?) and he gave very good inside knowledge on what was going on. He called the final result accurately based on the Canadian's form in the air and fast, clean turns on the course. I too fell for the blond hair and the sunny smile but she'll get over it. This seems to be the way in any sport where judges are involved... the in form performer, world number 1 etc always seems to have momentum on their side when it comes to point scoring.
snow report
JohnHill, if I'd known it was on Eurosport I'd've swithched over rolling eyes . I saw DM's post and have got the Beeb on the brain anyway as far as Turin goes.

AlexF, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil what a horrible image to assault me with first thing on a sunday morning Twisted Evil wink
latest report
JohnHill, Fair enough then, I haven't really kept up with Ski Sunday for ages. I will assume he does a better job when gates rather than bumps are involved. (Who is his main audience then BTW?).

Darn, I wish I'd known about the Eurosport coverage, slikedges, I'd have switched too. That makes for a much better commentary team - 2 ex-world class level competitors and one with Olympic moguls experience!!!

I guess my reaction is more a comment on "judged" sports where the skill levels are not always apparent, especially on a 20" 2D screen. Also where the judgement criteria are relatively occult. Which is where a good commentator who can explain th ejudging criteria etc. etc. (I'll change record now).
snow report
Bit late to this as I watched it last night... Cannot understand the gold at all..if the standard of the day is a heli/360 then fine, judge them on the best jump but the girl who went off first did a 720 and she came nowhere. I can't see how you can win with a safe heli/360 and and a backflip when there were better more technical jumps by far out there...

And Traa is a babe a well.... she wuz robbed ....!!
ski holidays
It could be a disaster for her...she might have to turn to exotic modelling.

I have a digital camera Kari, if you're reading and interested... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
David Murdoch,
Quote:

I have a digital camera Kari, if you're reading and interested...

Well she IS a better skier than you in the bumps Very Happy
ski holidays
snowbunny, She sure is. And I get the impression she has nicer bumps than me too!!
snow conditions
David Murdoch,
Quote:

snowbunny, She sure is. And I get the impression she has nicer bumps than me too!!

Probably not too difficult to achieve rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
snowbunny, no, probably not too difficult at all.
snow report
I was appalled by the standard in the womens freestyle the other day. Not so much through the turns as off the kickers. Does anyone really believe that a (very poor) 360 is a difficult trick? Also was bemused at the way it is judged. There seems to be very little reward for taking the most direct route down the course with marks being given for completing turns designed to brake the skier. Can someone tell me whats going on?
ski holidays
Proper old fashioned skiing !

Straight skis,
knees and feet together,
tight turns
down the fall line ,
big air

Perfect Razz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy