Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat ski skins

Poster: A snowHead
So I quick question about skins.

I am off to Japan for a few weeks in Feb and I will be taking my Whitedot Redeemers with me, we are planning to do some (as much as possible) back country ski and skinning. I have some skins for my Whitedot preachers and I was wondering if they would work. My worry is that the skin from the preacher will be too wide at the tip and too narrow at the waist. The narrow skin waist is probably not such a big issue, but the tip might be an issue - I could trim the 155 part of the skin to fit the narrower tip of the redeemer, but this might stuff up the skins for the Preacher. Japan is the only place I will skin on the Redeemers.

Dimensions

Preacher (I have skins for these) 155 -112 - 133
Redeemers 138 - 142 - 128 - 132 - 128

Thoughts and thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
do you have grip issues on your preachers?
id probably trim them anyway.
the tips and any early rise mean they aren't responsible for the majority of your grip anyway right? its all about the waist.

i wouldn't be concerned about the skinnier waist either. skinning in japan is usually on pretty soft snow (even if its an already set skin track), where ive usually have unlimited grip. so much grip that im considering trimming my skins quite a bit skinnier than my skis to save that little bit on weight/glop/etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Preachers are full camber, but I'd only be losing a 7mm on either side at the widest point - but as mentioned the skins will be used on the preacher 95% of the time, so I don't want to do anything to ruin them, especially here in NZ we have "firm" conditions a lot of the time, so skin coverage is useful!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my figuring is that the 13mm (8%?) lost at the tips only isn't going to cost you much grip because most of the grip comes from the waist. so they wouldn't be ruined imo.

alternatively... where are you headed?
rhythm niseko apparently rent bc gear (and i assume rhythm hakuba also), as does black diamond lodge niseko. you might be able to just grab skins. those brands with an adjustable tail strap (like black diamond and g3) would probably be easy to find a fit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Trim the skins at the front, you won't miss that at all......
BUT, if you hit any hard snow, you'll struggle with the narrower skins underfoot so may have to rent/buy locally........
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had exactly this problem a few years ago.

I was skinning on bubbas which are >130 underfoot with big rockers. I took a pair cut for a blizzard cochise with no tail clip and only 105 underfoot so about 3cm uncovered which is way more than you.

Long story short they were absolutely fine 80% of the time until they weren't. A few times when it hadn't snowed I had some real problems on steeper harder tracks - once I had to turn back. And as soon as it got warm the skins started to fall away from the ski over the day. No tail clips seem to work fine for me in Europe. Not so much in Japan.

Last year I got some new skins cut for a slightly skinnier ski (still 120) with clips and it was night and day over there.

Sure other people would have different experiences.

J
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BenAS, trim the tips and cut a slit in the middle so you can pull them out to the edges. The most important thing is edge to edge coverage underfoot +/- 50cm.

I use a pair of Contour split skins (http://www.kochalpin.at/en/brands/contour/hybrid/hybrid-free-hybrid-fat-free/) which fit both my 107mm Down CD107s and 125mm Down TD125s.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're going for new skins, I'd highly recommend the split skin options from contour. You don't need to trim them and they adjust well for different size skis, I use one pair of skins for the whole Whitedot range from size 180-190cm, best of all they're light, so you don't have to drag half a carpet up the mountain!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@the_doc, actually that is another good point about the split skins - full coverage skins on a wider ski creates a hell of a lot of drag!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to say that I have enough issues with full width skins blowing about, so I can only imagine the knots that split skins tied themselves up into. But I guess that is down to where you skins, and probably my poor technique rolling eyes

I find I use less energy having full width high grip skins, than I do using lower grip, high glide skins (again probably poor technique).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PowderAdict wrote:
I have to say that I have enough issues with full width skins blowing about, so I can only imagine the knots that split skins tied themselves up into. But I guess that is down to where you skins, and probably my poor technique rolling eyes

The contour skins above have glueless skin technology. Basically it means they stick to the ski but don't stick to themselves or pick up as much dirt/hair/fluff etc as much as normal skins.
Started using a pair of contour skins (normal not split) since the start of last season and have been very impressed so far. Interested to see how they do in wet and very cold (Sub -15 Deg C) conditions

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 16-10-17 19:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

alternatively... where are you headed?
rhythm niseko apparently rent bc gear (and i assume rhythm hakuba also), as does black diamond lodge niseko. you might be able to just grab skins.

I almost did an intro to skinning tour while in Niseko in January, but my ski buds all bailed out when they saw the eye watering rental costs at Rhythm. Bring your own unless you absolutely can't avoid it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/yBIHQvsvddE

They really are as easy as the video suggests. I've taken them off in some pretty high winds, and as long as you keep them attached at the tail as you run you hand down I'd say they're easy to use.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for an interesting thread. FYI, I've just found the Contour Hybrid Free (171-181 cm) skins on offer, with a 44% discount, at Telemark Pyrenees https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/contour-hybrid-free-skins. They come in at £90 inc posting & VAT. I've just ordered a pair to go with my K2 Coomba 114s, so will be interested to see how I get on with them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike S, Me too - mine have just arrived. Great customer service from TP, as usual.

Now, when's the snow going to arrive? Smile
ski holidays
Reviving/hijacking this thread: with the split skins, what is the tolerance with size differences between skis?

Pair one: length 186, difference in width between tip and waist is 37 mm
Pair two: length 183, difference in width between tip and waist is 30 mm

Easy enough to make this work?
snow conditions
@hollando, this help?

snow report
Where did you find the hairdresser to loan you a car to prop your skis against?
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, nothing hair dresser about the mighty Duster! Devourer of snow and scorner of snow chains Cool
ski holidays
Perfect, thanks a lot! So do you trim for the sidecut of the thinner ski (roughly) and stretch out to the fatties, tip coverage being less important?
ski holidays
@hollando, no trimming involved. Just pull it out to the edges along the ski.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
@BenAS, trim the tips and cut a slit in the middle so you can pull them out to the edges. The most important thing is edge to edge coverage underfoot +/- 50cm.

I use a pair of Contour split skins (http://www.kochalpin.at/en/brands/contour/hybrid/hybrid-free-hybrid-fat-free/) which fit both my 107mm Down CD107s and 125mm Down TD125s.

Hey Clarky-san, I am reviewing my skin quiver (!!) and wondered how you got on with the Hybrid splits. Specifically I have a pair but due to poor (read zero) off season storage on separated paper I think they are knackered ... thinking about either total replacement or trying the contour specific spray. Any thoughts gratefully received!
ski holidays
@mishmash, I've gone back to normal skins (also Contour) on my main touring skis - the splits slipped off one too many times (often snow working it's way underneath them) and I just lost patience with them.

I still have them for my powder skis, but I very very rarely skin on them. More a get out of jail card when exploring to avoid having to bootpack in/out of anything in deep snow, and I'm happy with the splits for that purpose. I wouldn't recommend them for long tours or steeper terrain though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy