Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
New to here and not sure if right place to post in but im after some advice on where to go for xmas for myself and my 16 yr old son, never been skiing before so wont be upto much skiing so would be more for the holidat in the snow thing,thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had our first ski trip in Bansko, Bulgaria. It was a great place to learn - it was great value for money and plenty of skiing for a first holiday. December is a bit hit & miss on the whole in Europe for snow, though. So you may need to consider a more snowsure resort for Christmas....unless you take the risk and leave it until the last minute?
If you want to book in advance, you’d probably need to look at higher resorts or go intercontinental.
I bought a book - where to ski & snowboard...it has some great information and it might be fun to look at resorts with your son & make a decision.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why not use the trip to learn skiing? If you just want a nice wintry atmosphere, I'd suggest Salzburg or Innsbruck -- history, good food, easy for walking and they do Xmas very very well.

As a place to learn skiing, maybe Slovenia?. I've never been there in the winter but there's a lot to do and see in the Alps area (at least in summer and fall) and everyone speaks English and is very friendly.

I don't think you'll have a problem booking there last minute if the weather looks favorable. But, I agree -- Christmas snow in Europe can be chancy. Right now it's 25 degrees in Paris, not even close to freezing in the Alps...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As the others have said, that time of year can be a bit hit or miss with snow in the alps. If you want to have a good chance of being in the snow at resort level, I would aim for towns at 1800m altitude or above, although this is pretty arbitrary and will vary a lot year to year. I'm personally fond of Livigno in Italy - it's a great place to learn with nice gentle slopes in the town, it's high altitude so the snow is usually good by christmas, it's relatively cheap, and it has a bit of character as it's a working town rather than a purpose built resort. I also had a decent trip one christmas in Alpe D'Huez, but it's not as beginner friendly or 'christmassy' in my view. I think some areas in Scandinavia are a bit more snow sure at that time of year, I'm sure someone else can advise on that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Livigno. Due to some historical quirk, the valley is Duty Free. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For a holiday in the snow, maybe somewhere like Zell am See in Austria which is absolutely stunning, or Kitzbuhel which is a gorgeous medieval town.

For learning to ski but with things to do, have a look at La Plagne (it has a bob sleigh run), or Alpe d'Huez.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-10-17 10:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for replies much appreciated
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There isn't much to do nearby in the evenings, but have a look at www.chaletmorillon.co.uk . I spent a week with the family in Morillon and we loved it for skiing and ski school. Ideal location at piste and decent ski area. Easy transfer -short and they pick you up from Geneva- but on Friday for Christmas this year. I notice they have 2 rooms left, and I am sure you could contact them to check who has booked the rest of the rooms, it may or may not be ideal for you. Sorry if those dates or location for flights don't suit you or you have already booked.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy