Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@MCL, been there. Skiing is less painful than walking.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Lecht and Glenshee are currently pisting some of their slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Visited Cairngorm today and there was more snow than I expected, they are out on the hill working on de-icing the tows etc. and intend to get something open for the weekend or possibly Friday if the weather is OK, the home road looked good for getting back to the bottom but it was too misty to see what it was like further over, there were quite a few people in the restaurant who had skinned up via the zigzags.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter S, exciting hopefully something going for Saturday.

Well it sounds like my toe is no excuse! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cairngorm open tomorrow in a limited fashion:Wednesday 29th November 3:30pm. Snow sports opening tomorrow with skiing off the train on a pisted run from Top Station to Base Station on the Traverse, 105, Zig Zags and Home Road. Conditions are improving but at the moment there is insufficient snow to open any of the other lifts or pistes. Ticket price will be £20.40 for an Adult, Ski Hire will remain closed until this weekend. The forecast is wind NNW 40 gusting 50mph on the summits and a cold temperature of -8C. It’s been a great run of weather for snow making, with the guns doing a continuous run of six 24 hour days non stop. Hopefully the start of a great season. First update on skiing conditions will be at 8.30am tomorrow. Funicular opening at 10am last train up 3pm. Wintry conditions drive with care. Cheers Ops2.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just read that on Facebook @orange, thanks for posting, saves me editing my post.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MCL, I would not wait until Saturday. It looks like there will be rain and warmer weather by then.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bigtipper, unfortunately I have to work until then

Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Dougie wrote:
Going back to Scotland this year for the first time since 1988. Only a long weekend, but can’t wait. With going to Glenshee, this website seems to have all I need.

http://greghilton.co.uk/snow_forecast/gfsruns.php?select=glenshee

Any other suggestions?

www.winterhighland.info is the most popular website for everything in one place.

Thanks for that link. Sorry it took so long to reply but totally forgot I had even posted! Came on here to ask a question and found I had already asked it!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any tips as to where to stay for overnight (1 or 2 nights), B&B type or S/C accommodation, for Glencoe and Glenshee, coming up from the South? Any specific accommodations to contact direct, or just look on the usual online sites? (Sorry, used to skiing at Cairngorm or Nevis Range when staying Kingussie area; never made specific trips to Glencoe or Glenshee, but now are the nearest for me, if open.)
Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, I’ve stayed at the Travelodge in Fort William previously, which is past Glencoe but has a selection of bars:restaurants etc. Also has shops if the lifts don’t spin!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Grizzler, Pitlochry has a fair selection of places to stay - all budgets - is within striking distance of Glenshee and has plenty boozers etc
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Grizzler, for Glen Coe I've stayed at the Clachaig Inn, but it's a bit of a drive to Nevis from there. Also stayed at the Clan Mcduff Hotel near Fort William, nearer to Nevis, but then a fair drive to Glen Coe.

I though both were good value for money.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a good day at Cairngorm despite the poor visibility, there was only the run off the train to the bottom but the snow was good most of the way, at the moment there is not enough snow on the Ptarmigan bowl side to open anything in that area, I don't know if there is enough snow to get any tows open on the Cas side but it was snowing when I left so who knows, anyone interested in going up should check Cairngorms Facebook page for updates or their website.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For Glenshee Braemar is the closest, has Youth Hostel and reasonable hotels and everything in between, but it's North of the ski resort. Will be much easier once the Aberdeen bypass opens.
Blairgowrie is also good: on the A93 30 minutes from Glenshee. There's one or two places further up the Glen as well - Bridge of Cally Hotel website here: https://www.inspiredhotels.co.uk/
The Spittal of Glenshee hotel burned down a few years ago, but there are self-catering lodges nearby at Glenbeag Mountain Lodges in Spittal. Ten minutes from the ski centre.
ski holidays
Re Scotland accommodation:

We sometimes stay en route on our first night of trips to the Highlands - eg Perth Travelodges can be very cheap (under £40) and it's easily commutable to Glencoe or Glenshee from there.

Alternatively, there can be good deals for Perth on Hotels.com or Booking.com (eg we have booked Holiday Inn Express, Salutation, Station Hotel and more for £50 or less for a double room.)

Or stay near Dumbarton, Paisley, or Glasgow Airport on the way to Glencoe - eg Travelodge, Dumbuck House, Erskine Bridge Hotel, Normandy Hotel; or in Callander (loads of hotels). All of the above locations are 60-75 mins from the slopes of Glencoe - and again, we've booked them all last minute for £50 or less.

Once you are there:
- Blairgowrie (loads of hotels and B&Bs) is about 30 mins from Glenshee.
- The following can be good value for Glencoe trips (20 -30 mins drive): Crianlarich Hotel; Bridge of Orchy Hotel; Travelodge in For William; plus loads of B&Bs in Ft Bill.
snow report
Stathardle Inn, Kirkmichael. Great place. Good food, friendly. Just 20 - 25 mins south of Glenshee.
ski holidays
mitcva wrote:
Stathardle Inn, Kirkmichael. Great place. Good food, friendly. Just 20 - 25 mins south of Glenshee.

Nice beer too snowHead
latest report
Accommodation recommendations: http://www.corranbunkhouse.co.uk

Mid way between Glencoe and Nevis. Fantastic place. Only been once but will be 1st choice next time. Pub across Corran ferry at Ardgour or (new and looks v fancy) at hotel next door, or:

http://www.inchree.co.uk

5 mins (walk) round the corner from above, has onsite pub.

Or endless choice of hotels/b&bs in Fort William, best value twin possibly the West End Hotel but not open all season. Otherwise the usual websites.

Check out the chalets at Braemar Lodge for Glenshee. Has a fantastic whisky selection in the hotel (think we spent more on drink than accommodation here Embarassed ). Alternatively Craiglea B&B. Not stayed (the 1 time I've stayed near Glenshee there were 5 of us) but owner is a regular on Winterhighland so will be equipped for skiers.
latest report
I'll second what...snow's recommendation of the inchree chalets, I've stayed there twice with friends. As he said it's midway between Nevis Range and Glencoe, and it has a pub onsite. Very Happy

I've also stayed at the Braemar Lodge for Glenshee (in a hotel room), but later on this season I'll be trying one of their chalets.
ski holidays
anyone stayed in the Hobbit holes at Glencoe??
snow report
kitenski wrote:
anyone stayed in the Hobbit holes at Glencoe??
My daughters boyfriend and his mates stayed there when I was in the Clachaig. They said that the idea was great, until you all came back in wet through and steaming gently.

I didn't mention the pubs superb drying room. Much!
latest report
Glencoe, Cairngorm and The Lecht all open for the start of December! Very Happy Glenshee say they may open one lift and run later today if the wind dies down.

Lowther Hill opened for a few days in November, so that just leaves Nevis Range who have yet to open. Their access gondola is currently undergoing maintenance.
snow report
It is going to rain heavily for a week, and freezing level is going to rise above the top lifts. Get out today or wait for more snow!
ski holidays
MWIS fairly bullish though, this will "consolidate" the snowpack if the thaw isn't too bad

All mountain areas of Britain from Saturday 2nd December 2017

High pressure to the west of Ireland will dominate the weather early next week. There will be continued thaw, slow higher areas, and fronts coming in will give rain and drizzle intermittently on the W & NW Highlands, but little elsewhere. Beyond mid-week remains complex. Another period of Arctic northerlies is now increasingly likely. Some forecasts suggest considerable snowfall on some mountain areas as the northerly winds develop.
ski holidays
Looks like Cairngorm, Lecht and Glen Coe all open for skiing. Great start to the season.
Glenshee may have opened too today. Good times!
ski holidays
In spite of the website saying they might open the northern run off Sunnyside tomorrow, the latest webcam shows a couple of hardy souls skiing down that run, with what looks like at least one person on the Sunnyside tow going up. Might just be some staff testing things out, but there are cars in the main car park, so I think that puts Glenshee on the 'open' list for December 1st as well. Well done to everyone!
Edited to add: next image showing half a dozen definitely on the poma tow line. Not Glenshee's busiest opening day, but they've managed it!
snow report
Great day at the Lecht today- they weren’t exaggerating on Facebook when they said open runs were full width: was more open than I expected.

A fiver off the cost of day tickets. A few minutes queuing first thing but then almost straight on lifts as they got the chair open and the Buzzard tow on across the road.

(The toe held up- the driving was worse than skiing Very Happy )

Glenshee looked very patchy on Sunnyside as we drove past so was definitely worth the extra drive and looked even worse on the way back- a few people seemed to be there though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Could be another cold spell coming up from Thursday. Looks like the rain has washed away most of the base and snow and the extra rain coming will remove the rest. Still, the ground will be cold by the time it snows again on Thursday. Might be some skiing by Xmas?
ski holidays
Lecht was super fun yesterday... was there for 830... skied till 1...

great first day of the season...

see what Thursdays weather brings.....
latest report
October 2017 = no skiing.
November 2017 = some skiing at very end of month, Glencoe opened unusually early.
December 2017 = sudden thaw in week 1 and everywhere shut back down.
ski holidays
Very funny Whitegold!

Not sure how you can summarise December yet, given we're only four days in. And three out of the four Highland centres are still open anyway. Laughing

Not to mention that more snow is forecast later this week.
snow report
Well Cairngorm has had their Snow factory delivered today and Glencoe's is due on the 12th so two resorts will definitely have some snow in December, the Lecht will have the Snow factory for February and March. When is the last time there was skiing in October @Whitegold, I can only remember about 1993/4 and it turned out to be a terrible year for skiing.
ski holidays
Whitegold ignores the fact that in Scotland we have good and bad years. Fingers crossed for a good one this year, the waiting and watching was horrible last year.
snow report
Still some snow on the ground, and a week or longer of sub zero temperatures below bottem lift levels. Snow is due the heaviest on Friday night in Cairngorm and The Lecht, with Glenshee expected to get the least.

This could result in enough snow to start bashing the pistes in time for January.
snow conditions
It is now Friday night, cold weather is forecast for another week at least. Snow has fallen in Scotland where I am, and the local hill looks like tomorrow or Monday might be worth a climb. (for a few short slides at the top)

Cairngorm still is getting the best forecasts, but Wednesday next week looks like more snow and some for Glenshee. Webcams for Glencoe look like there is not enough snow yet for me, but some runs open for beginners in Glencoe tomorrow.

Envious of conditions in Val D/Tignes currently, but optimistic that I will at least get my skis on next week if not lift served!
latest report
Glencoe looking amazing for this time of year.

https://www.facebook.com/GlencoeMountain/photos/pcb.1969235606437544/1969235463104225/?type=3&theater
snow report
Really quite jealous of the snow thats fallen on some parts of the midlands - was hoping for a big dump ahead of christmas and a cheeky wee midweek trip to glenshee
latest report
You & me both!
ski holidays
@nelly0168, me too- off Christmas week and hoping to get a day at Glenshee or Lecht
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy