Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Friday at Glencoe was a tremendous day - unfortunately, half of Scotland had the same thought as me, so the usual "bluebird day / massive queues" issue ensued.

That aside, I got a few hours of very decent skiing - although I made a rather big mistake before lunch coming down the - unpisted - spring run which reminded me that I have zero off piste skills Very Happy

Still prefer Glenshee as it has more runs and uplift, however I will deffo go back to the Coe on a quiet day.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glenshee really good on Sunday most lifts opened up except Glas Maol and a few others that side but most of it was opened up. Bluebird and relatively quite - wondered if folk were just waiting until half term....but missed an excellent day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe was excellent this weekend we stayed in the van on hookup so got a early start Saturday and skied all day with no queuing up at all. Skied all runs which were in good condition Fly paper and Baillies were a little icy at the top but nice once into the slopes. We choose well as Wales v Scotland totally helped with the numbers and the weather also played ball.
Sunday was service as usual bluebird day massive lines at the ticket desk and by lunch time main basin was busy so called a half day and drove home early (5 hours). It was a brilliant weekend by comparison just been to the Chillfactor with my son for 2 hours ...what a come down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looking pretty good today too Cool

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scotland are having a dream of a season. If you've ever been tempted to sample UK skiing at its finest - now's your chance!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Up at Cairngorm last couple of days. Some lovely well-pisted runs; some not groomed and fun, some not so nice, with interesting geological feature hazards. Weather managed to do everything from excellent visibility and no wind to howling ice-laden blizzard half an hour later ( and the news is...?) Overall was good whilst the vis lasted.
Full top to bottom runs, just: pretty thin and icy on many end runs. Nice enough cover, though depth was surprisingly thin in places where not groomed.
Probably not the best of the resorts on balance, especially as none of the lower drag lifts were open and the funicular wasn't stopping at 1/2 station so not easy for those who wanted easier slopes ( nice enough as they were) or to escape the cloud and horrid flat light. Wasn't overly busy, at least.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unbelievable amount of snow coming in next 6 days on Scottish slopes. Could be avalanche problems (which are not that common in Scotland). Unfortunately, wind, and visability will be bad, but there should be a fantastic base for early March and late February skiing when the sun is higher in the sky and the sun hours are longer (wind is usually lower in March).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigtipper wrote:
Unbelievable amount of snow coming in next 6 days on Scottish slopes. Could be avalanche problems (which are not that common in Scotland). Unfortunately, wind, and visability will be bad, but there should be a fantastic base for early March and late February skiing when the sun is higher in the sky and the sun hours are longer (wind is usually lower in March).

Got a little over excited after reading that... Wind might be a bit of a problem after looking it up! But as you say, we could be potentially skiing in May again.. Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th are going to be gridlocked in the car parks early in the morning. With the snow falling all week and on Friday, if you want to avoid dissappointment get there the night before, and as close to the lifts as possible. Weather forecast is for good visability, and lowish winds for Saturday and Sunday. (subject to errors, although usually fairly accurate)

Camping spaces (for tents) are still available at Glencoe. It should be relatively warm as winter camping goes, as the cloud cover and snowfall will ensure temperatures do not drop too low. Forecast is for between -5 to 0C during the night which with suitable hot water bottles and ground insulation should be doable for most healthy adults.

People with more money and more vision, might book a hobbit house for all the empty dates in March. Hookups in Glencoe are also not yet booked for March.

www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accomodation-availability/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deleted by peters

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-02-18 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My son is up at Glencoe with my neighbour and his son today. From what I can see from the webcams looks like they’ve picked a goodun. Bar Stewards Toofy Grin
Had been planning Glenshee but road was closed this morning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pleased to report that my son had a great time at Glencoe yesterday and my neighbour thought it was some of the best snow he has skied on
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boabski wrote:
Pleased to report that my son had a great time at Glencoe yesterday and my neighbour thought it was some of the best snow he has skied on

Good he went yesterday, shut today as is glenshee
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nelly0168, indeed. Back at school today anyway. Original plan was Glenshee but road was shut and if I hadn’t called my neighbour en route to update him they would have gone there (diddy rolling eyes ) then had to come home no doubt.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Forecast for weekend 17/18th Feb has changed for Glencoe. Not adviseable to camp in the rain, and cold! Glenshee looks like it will get better weather on Saturday at least. (Monday looks good too)
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, hmmm, what's Monday looking like for Glencoe??
ski holidays
I am going to Inverness over the weekend. Wondered if I could plan in a days ski. Family may want some lessons and we would need to hire kit including clothes.

We are staying in Lochend. Any suggestions welcome?
latest report
@harryspotter, I'd personally avoid Cairngorm this weekend. I think it'll be extremely busy.

If weather forecast is OK then I'd suggest driving a little further, probably to Nevis Range. Will still be busy, but not as bad as Cairngorm.

There's plenty of snow at all the ski centres. If you want to have lessons you should book as soon as possible - it's peak season and slots may already be full up.
latest report
@harryspotter, If weather is good I would suggest you check out the Lecht, its not a large resort but more family orientated, not sure if they hire clothes you could contact them or try looking a ski hire in Inverness that way you would be kitted out before you get there.
latest report
Lecht has lecht winter games on this weekend will be busy and tickets may be required. See uksnowsports website or lecht Facebook. Depending what you are after may be good for you/family or not. Have a look although not sure if tix have sold out
snow report
@kitenski, I think the high winds are causing some confusion in long term forecasts. Many of the forecasts I am seeing are conflicting, and changeing frequently. Probably rain in the North West. Could be snow elsewhere, or rain, or sunshine. The eastern resorts look like the weather will have less precipitation on Monday.
snow conditions
The West, Glencoe and Nevis Range have received over a 1 metre of fresh snow since the weekend, and there is more to come over the next few days, Eastern resorts have also got a good dump. Scotland is having a stellar season so far.
snow report
KKool wrote:
The West, Glencoe and Nevis Range have received over a 1 metre of fresh snow since the weekend, and there is more to come over the next few days, Eastern resorts have also got a good dump. Scotland is having a stellar season so far.

Stellar? Shocked Not stellar imo until we get some high pressure/blue sky days. So far this season nothing at Christmas/early Jan but plenty snow since but with constant very poor weather and many lift closure days for wind. Live up here and keen to get up there (Glencoe) and following weather reports to pick days and it's not been good. Half term holidays in Argyll this week and until today it's been plain awful, Glencoe webcams still look poor presently and website saying problems with wind again, supposed to improve for tomorrow hopefully.
Need high pressure soon. Very Happy
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
KKool wrote:

Stellar? Shocked Not stellar imo until we get some high pressure/blue sky days. So far this season nothing at Christmas/early Jan but plenty snow since but with constant very poor weather and many lift closure days for wind. Live up here and keen to get up there (Glencoe) and following weather reports to pick days and it's not been good. Half term holidays in Argyll this week and until today it's been plain awful, Glencoe webcams still look poor presently and website saying problems with wind again, supposed to improve for tomorrow hopefully.

I agree with this. It's a pity that this should have been the busiest week of the year for the ski resorts (half term) but very little has been available due to the weather.
latest report
Stellar - no. Promising - yes.

I'm not sure there have been more stormbound days than an average season, by Scottish standards. Not that I have any stats to back that up. There was also some good snow before Christmas - I had a great day at the Lecht with full snow cover.

Financially, Christmas hols would've been poor for the ski centres, but there have been quite a few good weather weekends since then, with full car parks and the related traffic issues. Also, the last several seasons have been good or excellent ones (except 2016/7) - I wonder whether that is skewing expectations slightly?

Midwinter often brings lots of lift closures, whereas March onwards usually has better weather. And high pressure is forecast for next week.

I'd guess that cumulative numbers are average in the west (slightly below average in the east) for the time of year so far, but with a good base and no prolonged thaw on the horizon, I think things will improve over the next few weeks.
latest report
Klammertime wrote:
KKool wrote:

What I meant by stellar, the snow just keeps on coming, where as last season it was very poor, there have been some blue bird days in between, last month I went to Nevis range where there was no wind blue skies, and excellent quality of snow, I usually follow met office weather forecasts, most of the time they are pretty spot on, as with Scotland you got to plan your trip at short notice, as the weather changes very quick, I plan to spend a quite few days next week, as the weather is looking more promising. Cool
latest report
Quote:

What I meant by stellar, the snow just keeps on coming, where as last season it was very poor

Right, so it's better than last year? That's hardly surprising since last year's was shite.
ski holidays
I was at Glencoe today. Good snow on the plateau and upper mountain. Visibility and wind speed highly changeable so you had to pick your moments carefully.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We (kids and I ) ski regularly on Cairngorm and I do think it has been a pretty good season.

All lifts open (wind dependant obviously Laughing ) and not feeling like I have to desperately count ski days towards season pass!

Disclaimer: I have only ever skied in Scotland so my standards are very low...
snow report
Been waiting for Glas Moal to open up at Glenshee, seems to be stubbornly staying closed.

Also this week it seems like Glenshee seem to turn off their web cam during the day, I guess they are scared to show the horrendous queues, anyone been there this week?
ski holidays
@JimboS, I doubt there have been horrendous queues this week at Glenshee as the snowgates on both sides of the Spittal of Glenshee have been closed for half the week!
ski holidays
Webcam was working during the middle of the day today. Queues looked fairly big, but not horrendous.
ski holidays
Very busy yesterday if you got caught in a popular area but it was usually possible to avoid the crowds by not rushing to an area as soon as it was opened.
ski holidays
Glencoe was awesome on Saturday. Cant wait for the weekend.
snow conditions
@scotspikey, best couple of days skiing at Glencoe Ive had in a long time Friday and Sat were pretty amazing. Skied with fellow Snowhead OEP great weekend.
snow report
According to a report on the Winterhighland Forum a lone skier had a very luck escape at Glencoe yesterday (Edit: my mistake, apparently it was on Friday) when he triggered an avalanche whilst skiing the (closed!!) Flypaper run. rolling eyes

From the post on Winterhighland Forum, quote "Lone skier. Skived off work and hadn't even told his wife he was going skiing. wink
Traversed from lower Spring Run across the "Spring-paper" and triggered a very large avalanche which spread across the entire Flypaper bowl to Baillies gully. Buried to almost his neck for 40 minutes. Eventually managed to wriggle one hand free and get phone out of his breast pocket to call a friend. Eventually located, on second pass, and dug out by ski patrollers..."

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 19-02-18 16:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Alastair Pink, yes he was very lucky the whole of the Flypaper bowl was loaded at weekend it was ok if you stayed left but to stray over to far was pretty daft. We set a slide off lower down on the run down to the car park from just below the shoulder managed to get out of the way. I watched someone on spring run get taken of there feet by a slide no damage done they were up after a couple of minutes.
snow conditions
@meandrew, I think I might have spoken to you on a t-bar.......
snow report
@scotspikey, me in green?
latest report
@scotspikey, I spoke with so many people this weekend on the t bar Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy