Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Flight Deck prizm - snow rose or Hi Pink?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm in need of some decent goggles and have decided to put my hand in my pocket and buy some decent ones. I normally ski with sunglasses - Rudy Project Rydon in Racing Red - which I originally bought for cycling. I have no problem with them not being dark enough even on the sunniest of days and think they're great in bad light but I need goggles for when it's snowing. I've only heard good things about the Oakleys but I'm not sure which of the low light models would be the best for me. Does anyone know just how much difference the Hi Pink version makes? Anyone got experience of both? If there are any alternative recommendations I'd love to hear.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I asked a similar question here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127585

I use the Prizm Rose, which I find great in a very wide variety of conditions.

I have only looked through a Hi Pink in a shop....but for FWIW, imo the decision comes down to whether you want a dedicated whiteout lens, that's a bit too light for bright conditions; or sacrifice a little performance in very poor conditions, to gain a lot more versatility.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A word of warning. I had to return a replacement hi-pink flight deck lens to Oakley in March. They were out of stock, and customer support said to wait until this season and they’d send a replacement. I got in touch a couple of weeks ago and they said they didn’t know if they were going to be getting the flight deck hi-pink lens in this season. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that they were stopping production of the flight deck. If so, it’s a lot of money to spend on a frame if the lenses are only going to be available for a season.

I could well have the wrong end of the stick, the support guy I was talking to was in Italy, and I’m sure there are SHs who are better informed about Oakley production. They gave me an online credit well over the original cost of the lens, so I have no complaints with their customer services.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you'll struggle to find many people with experience of both (I could be wrong), More people probably have the Rose, as the Hi-Pink was only introduced last year, but people seem to rave about both. I've got the Rose and it's good, and copes well even in moderately bright conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know it's a different brand, but just ordered some Smith IOS for Mrs endo from Sport Pursuit. Chromapop everyday and a chromapop storm lens for less than £100.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

@Tubaski, You're wrong, but then again I'm an Oakley fan Cool

The Rose Prizm and Hi-Pink Prizm are for different purposes. The Rose is a lens you can use for anything but full sun, whereas the Hi Pink is a dedicated snow/whiteout lens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@eversolazy, I'd be surprised if Oakley are dropping the Flightdeck, but if they are it would no doubt be related to the lack of a quick lens swap. The new Airbrake XL they introduced last season is a true quick swap goggle.

I generally check the weather in the morning and take 2 pairs of goggles with the appropriate lens installed, as the Flightdeck really isn't a chairlift/side of the piste swap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PowderAdict wrote:
@Tubaski, You're wrong, but then again I'm an Oakley fan

The Rose Prizm and Hi-Pink Prizm are for different purposes. The Rose is a lens you can use for anything but full sun, whereas the Hi Pink is a dedicated snow/whiteout lens.

Well, yes - but that isn't quite the point I was trying to make. Until they introduced the Hi Pink (this time last year) if you looked at the Prizm range it looked like this:

and anyone looking for a low light lens would have gone for the Rose - which was getting rave reviews. Last year Oakley introduced the Pink and tweaked their marketing to the picture you posted. Now, I suspect (projecting my own experience) that many people who already owned the Rose would have gone "Well the Rose is still bloody good in low light, I'll be damned if I'm giving Oakley another 60 quid just yet / carrying around 3 lenses etc." Likewise I can't see that many people would have gone for the combination of Pink and Rose after the Pink was released as surely the Pink would be better partnered with a Torch, Jade or Sapphire.
I am a little bit sore because I bought Rose and Black just before the Pink came out - and suspect Pink and one of Torch, Jade or Sapphire would have been a better combination
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, different brand again but I've been using Panda Optics googles (and lenses obviously) and have found them pretty much equal to many of the bigger name brands. http://www.pandaoptics.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tubaski wrote:
....and suspect Pink and one of Torch, Jade or Sapphire would have been a better combination

Yep, that's the best two lens combo.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't used the Hi Pink - have a sapphire jade and Rose combo - really rate the prizm lenses. Would think hi pink could be a bit too much in all but the worst weather.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tubaski wrote:
@PowderAdict wrote:

Well, yes - but that isn't quite the point I was trying to make. Until they introduced the Hi Pink (this time last year) if you looked at the Prizm range it looked like this:

and anyone looking for a low light lens would have gone for the Rose - which was getting rave reviews. Last year Oakley introduced the Pink and tweaked their marketing to the picture you posted. Now, I suspect (projecting my own experience) that many people who already owned the Rose would have gone "Well the Rose is still bloody good in low light, I'll be damned if I'm giving Oakley another 60 quid just yet / carrying around 3 lenses etc." Likewise I can't see that many people would have gone for the combination of Pink and Rose after the Pink was released as surely the Pink would be better partnered with a Torch, Jade or Sapphire.
I am a little bit sore because I bought Rose and Black just before the Pink came out - and suspect Pink and one of Torch, Jade or Sapphire would have been a better combination

I have both. I liked the rose so much that I bought the Hi-Pink because I thought it would be amazing . I prefer the Rose . The Issue with the Hi Pink is that I find that white outs can be very bright at altitude and Hi-pink doesn't block enough brightness for me. The Rose pumps up the contrast and protects for the brightness as well. In these conditions I generally find I'm headed for the trees anyway!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the feedback, still not sure whether to get the rose as a wear-all-the-time goggle or the Hi Pink and wear my shades the rest of the time
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mishmash, interesting comment. I have a pair of the jade prizms but bust my persimmon low light lens in a crash in April. I was planning on replacing those with hi-pink, but as I have sensitive eyes, I’m now wondering if rose might be better. Cheaper too, I think.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sukuinage, to wear all the time, pick a slightly darker one (jade, sapphire, torch). These three are all the same pink lens with different coatings. Jade is usually cheapest due to stock levels and demand I think.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@mishmash, interesting comment. I have a pair of the jade prizms but bust my persimmon low light lens in a crash in April. I was planning on replacing those with hi-pink, but as I have sensitive eyes, I’m now wondering if rose might be better. Cheaper too, I think.

Did you not find that the Prizm Jade worked as well as the Persimmon in low light?....it's just that the Rose is a bit better again.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, I don’t remember dealing with any low light at the time. I broke them towards the end of the week and didn’t realise till I got home. I’d have swapped if it was bad, but I think it was mostly sunny.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I don’t remember dealing with any low light at the time. I broke them towards the end of the week and didn’t realise till I got home. I’d have swapped if it was bad, but I think it was mostly sunny.

Oakley claim the performance of the the Jade matches that of the Persimmon (click on small image under main photograph): https://www.theski-shop.co.uk/189433/products/oakley-airbrake-prizm-jade-iridium-spare-lens.aspx
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, interesting. I used to use a lens darker then the fire iridium also on that chart, but find the jade covers that top end of the range fine. Maybe I’ll save my money for now and just use them in all conditions.
ski holidays
I’ve got fire and black iridium lenses and since getting a prize jade sapphire I’ve never felt the need to use them, even on full bluebird days.
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
Tubaski wrote:
@PowderAdict wrote:

I have both. I liked the rose so much that I bought the Hi-Pink because I thought it would be amazing . I prefer the Rose . The Issue with the Hi Pink is that I find that white outs can be very bright at altitude and Hi-pink doesn't block enough brightness for me. The Rose pumps up the contrast and protects for the brightness as well. In these conditions I generally find I'm headed for the trees anyway!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was considering getting a Hi Pink, as like you I liked my Rose very much... I’ve got astigmatism so colour contrast in the dark is quite difficult for me. I wonder now in my case, if that means that the Hi Pink would be better or worse for me.... any thoughts? Puzzled
latest report
@aewynia, obviously I don't know what it's like having astigmatism but I swapped my Rose with a mate who had a Pink for a day and I didn't experience anything that made it seem better than my rose lens. I find that the rose gives good contrast whereas the pink just seems to be about letting more light through. For me when skiing I find contrast more useful than brightness so the rose is still where I want to be. I think the pink must be really about blizzard/total whiteout conditions where it's actually quite dark and you'd go without a lens at all if it didn't mean getting snow in your eyes.
snow report
I have Jade and Rose lenses for my flight decks. Have had a proper white out yet, but full sun Jade defo rocks. Love the extra periferal vision as well. It's not much but it makes a difference.
snow report
Thanks for sharing your experience @dp. More people seem convinced Pink is better?

As someone with astigmatism I don’t know if letting more light in helps or would it make things worse.... maybe I could try it out if someone I knew had both...

Also - is it true there’s no difference between a Jade and a Sapphire except the outside colour?

I’m asking because I’m likely changing from Flight Deck (slightly too big for my face) to Flight Deck XM maybe next season, and I wondered which 2 lens combo would be best.

My current ones are Prizm Jade and Rose. Looking at maybe Sapphire and Hi-Pink, or sticking with Jade/Sapphire and Rose? Puzzled

Thanks everyone. snowHead
snow report
What did you choose in the end @sukuinage?
snow report
dp wrote:
@aewynia, obviously I don't know what it's like having astigmatism but I swapped my Rose with a mate who had a Pink for a day and I didn't experience anything that made it seem better than my rose lens. I find that the rose gives good contrast whereas the pink just seems to be about letting more light through. For me when skiing I find contrast more useful than brightness so the rose is still where I want to be. I think the pink must be really about blizzard/total whiteout conditions where it's actually quite dark and you'd go without a lens at all if it didn't mean getting snow in your eyes.

The 2 kinds of Worst Viz days I get are 1 ) stuck in cloud above 2000m when the sun is trying to get through and the Hi Pink is too bright but the Rose just right and
2) full on snow storm when its quite dark and and I'm below 2000 in the trees - I haven't used Hi pink here because these days are few and far between but I guess they might. out perform the Rose here , but I haven't ever really had problem because of the contrast from the trees in the first place.

So I guess its a bit about what sort of bad viz you ski in!
snow report
aewynia wrote:

Also - is it true there’s no difference between a Jade and a Sapphire except the outside colour?

. snowHead

Jade, Sapphire, Torch all the same - they all use Rose as the "base" and build on that . That is why Hi-Pink is a bit of anomaly.

BTW I came to Rose (and the mid level ones) via the Hi yellow, and Persimmon variations. Prizm def def better. Much less important on Bluebird days though.
snow conditions
Well, these are the 3 I have if it helps...
The Line-up: Jade Prizm, Hi Yellow and Rose Prizm...

Jade Prizm

Hi Yellow

Rose Prizm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @mishmash and @Richard_Sideways, and everyone else on this thread for your helpful advice! snowHead
latest report
@aewynia, What did you go for? I've got Prizm sapphire iridium and hi pink iridium and its a perfect set up for me (apart from a scratch on the sapphire lens after a numpty clonked me on the head with a ski pole in a lift queue as they were flailing around)! rolling eyes Great all round vision goggles.
ski holidays
Hi @Markymark29, I haven’t bought the lenses just yet but I’m definitely leaning towards the Jade/Sapphire/Torch and Hi Pink combo.

I’ll also schedule a trip to the optician at some point to make sure my understanding of astigmatism is correct and in line with my current thinking (that Hi Pink would be better for my eyesight in low light), and if all goes well, I shall be looking out for a sale to purchase the two lenses. Madeye-Smiley

Recommended trustworthy shops? Thanks for your reviews everyone. I guess in the end, it’s just about you buying the lenses that are most suitable for you. Cool snowHead
ski holidays
http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Ski-Goggles/Oakley-Goggles/Oakley-Flight-Deck-Ski-Goggles/

RXsport are a good shop and you can get another 10% off if you happen to be a ski club member.
snow report
Do you know which ski clubs @Daishan?
snow conditions
@aewynia, I'll be interested in the results of your research. I also have astigmatism, but have never been aware of a connection between that and low light vision (that doesn't mean there isn't one). However, I do know of a link between eye colour and light sensitivity – lighter coloured eyes (blue, generally) are more light sensitive than e.g. brown eyes, so I have to make sure my sunglasses are quite dark (cat 3).

I once tried a pair of Hi-yellow lenses on the slopes, but couldn't stand to look through them at all. They were way too bright. I have tried @spyderjon's Hi-pink Prizm inside the apartment looking out at the snow and they were better than the yellow, but I'm still not sure I could wear them all day. However, as the jade prizms I have are so good, I'm not sure I'd need to. Have you found yours to be too dark in cloudy/snowy conditions?
snow conditions
@admin, ski club of gb for sure, did i miss Rx sport in the super snowhead thread?
ski holidays
Reputable online dealers:

RX Sport (as above)
The Internet Opticians
Surfdome
Igero
Absolute Snow
Chain Reaction Cycles
latest report
@aewynia, Glide and Slide Otley - use the high street. They do mail order and are a bricks and mortar shop, thats where we got ours, great service.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
@aewynia, I'll be interested in the results of your research. I also have astigmatism, but have never been aware of a connection between that and low light vision (that doesn't mean there isn't one).

Ditto. I do find I'm sensitive to bright lights (e.g. oncoming headlights), but have no idea if that is any more/less than anyone else or related to my astigmatism. I do know that my prescription distorts my peripheral vision, which I think does make me struggle with spacial awareness / disorientation sometimes though.
snow report
interesting above...

I am an Oakley person - 40 pairs of sunglasses and a few pairs of goggles...

PRIZM Hi Pink
PRIZM Rose
PRIZM Sapphire
PRIZM Black

I do own some normal lenses for goggles(Hi yellow, Persimmon, Hi Persimmon, Emerald, Blue, fire, Black) but once you go PRIZM you don't go back... same for me, GF and Dad and numerous friends...

If I was to buy one lens then it would Be Rose...
Black is awesome for bluebird days but I find myself needing to change to Rose if any real mountain shadows...
Sapphire is a great around lens and I used that a lot last season... great in most conditions even Bluebird and not too heavy snow...
Rose - used it in heavy heavy snow numerous times in trees and open alpine... great lens and it can be used in the sunny days... Personally I can't use this as I get migraines but GF uses the lens most of the time unless a perfect bluebird day and she changes to Black...
Hi Pink is perfect only when snowing or very flat light... is it much better than the Rose no, but it is slightly better yes....

For this season I have -

Airbrakes - PRIZM Black and Rose
Fall Line - PRIZM Hi Pink
Flight Deck - PRIZM Sapphire
snow conditions
I would also include Freeze Pro Shop and Shade Station as reputable online dealers....both of which I have used (especially the former).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy