Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deeluxe boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have thoughts on Deeluxe boots? Picked up 2016/2017 Empire (stiffer boot) and XV (Xavier de la Rue's splitboarding boot) on big discount. They don't have a huge presence in US, hoping some Euros cant help out with some experience.

They feel pretty good out of box, snug but comfortable, but the liner feels pretty soft so I'm concerned they'll pack out too big.

Biggest concern is the "Sectional Control Lacing". Looks like they could break relatively easily and you'd be boned if they broke, especially if it happens in backcountry.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kimchijajonshim, are you more concerned about the laces breaking or the clip lock?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a set of Deelux Spark boots a few seasons back. They were great, no problems at all with the lacing. Would have been happy to get another set, but went for Salomon instead and pretty happy with that choice - they fit me really well since the shape changed a few seasons ago.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@richard_sideways, more the clip lock. It looks like it could break pretty easily, especially at cold temps. I've also seen a few reports of the lace/rope popping out where it's knotted on the interior of the boot, and sounds like that's not a DIY project to fix.

@steveomcd, did you use the Spark boot inbounds? I picked up both the Empire and the Spark to try out. The Spark fits me better in the rear of the foot/heel. I was thinking to keep them as my split-specific boots but if that huge Vibram outsole doesn't affect general performance, maybe I'll use them as an all-around boot.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kimchijajonshim, I did find the sole a bit bulky for use as an all-round boot. Felt a little "high".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A heads up, I tried the Spark XVs one day on-piste and decided to return them as defective. Had read a lot of reviews saying their lacing was prone to breaking, and lo and behold, my lace felt out of the lace guides and jammed the lace lock. No way to fix it short of either yanking it and hoping it doesn't break, or disassembling the entire mechanism. Good thing it happened on my on-piste test run, if it'd happened while I was in the backcountry that would have been terribly, terribly sketchy.

I'm also returning the Empires, which have the same lacing mechanism. Just too many parts, too many things that could go wrong.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy