Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier acommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. All.

Daughter is going out to work the season in serre chevalier. We (the parents) are looking to go out in late Jan for a 7 day hol (driving as normal).

Only skied there for one day about 30 years ago but cant remember much.

We are looking for a good place to stay either a hotel/apartment or chalet close to the lifts.

Anybody got any contacts or ideas it would be a great help.

Cheers

Paul
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nt.farmer, not sure i will have the dates you want but have a look on my website. Address in my signature.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. yes you are bookwhen we wanted to come at the end of jan.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nt.farmer, sorry, we have some guests returning for a third visit at the end of January. You can contact Melanie, who looks after our apartment at melanie @ eurekaski dot com , she may have something available.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can recommend the Hameau de Rocher blanc in Chantemerle as a self catering apartment. Chantemerle is in the middle of the Serre Chevalier so you have options every day to go towards either Briancon or Monetier. Having stayed in a lot of places this was at the top end and not overly expensive.This was the Tripadvisor review I left

We stayed here as a family for the new year in the building which does not house the pool but is closer to the slopes.The room faced the valley not the road so we ate lunch on the balcony overlooking the snowless slopes.

This type of accommodation is very continental. It is self catering and geared to people who are driving and will arrive with a box of cleaning materials, their own groceries, toilet paper, and towels and go home with them at the end of the week.The cleaning thing is as French as garlic and if you are uncomfortable with the previous occupant doing the cleaning prior to your arrival and you doing the same this is not the style of accommodation for you.

The reception does not operate as a hotel reception and is really only there for you to check in and check out. It helps to be polite and speak some French.Having stayed in a couple of the MGM blocks and some other this is a high standard for such accommodation.

The cleaning thing is well flagged but it is easier just to pay the cost for them to clean the apartment after you go as it takes the stress away. You don't have to be present when the inspection is being done.It takes 10 minutes to strip the beds and throw the lot into the bath,

The cost is relative. Over the new year you will pay approximately 50% less than staying in a hotel or chalet of equivalent standard. If you can bring some towels, and basic stuff such as dishwasher tabs, dishcloth,cleaning stuff and toilet roll it will make it easier.

We have stayed here in the summer as well as winter and found it particularly suited to families with small children as everything is close.

We liked:

-Traditional Savoyard-lots of wood in the building.
-Rooms are small by UK standards but normal to large by French resort standards.
- Pool and sauna are great for a relaxing dip after a days skiing
-300m to the lift.
-The Skiset shop with very helpful staff is half way and while not ski-in ski out is close enough to return for lunch. If its sunny you can have lunch on your balcony.SkiSet prefer that you leave your skis and boots in the shop on the way back to the apartment which is very handy.
- Good bakery in the village 500m away open from before 8am.
- There is a sherpa convenience store in the shopping complex beside the ski lift and a carrefour accross the road in Chantelmerle. Bring some shopping bags and do a big shop as soon as you get there.
- The kitchen is not great. The oven-microwave is weird. You can however order take away rotisserie chickens/ raclette / tartiflette/pizzas from the shops beside carrefour, Get your patisserie and bread from the bakery and voila you have great French food for when you don't feel like going out.
- Heating is set at high. This place is not cold. Open the windows at night or leave a glass of water beside the heater to put some moisture in the air.

Dislikes
Wifi €30 for the week for the first device. 3 devices for €25.
Small tv.
Towels are small. ask for more- they don't always charge.
- Rooms are tight by UK standards for 5/6 people.
- No games room for kids in our building. They can go over to reception when it is open where there is a pool table
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just for future reference and in case anyone is wondering. My apartment ( and most other Chamoissiere apartments) provides linen, towels (bath sheets), dishwasher tablets, a selection of cleaning materials, and has a proper oven and 4 ring hob. There will be a couple of toilet rolls provided, but do remember this is meant to be a self-catering apartment and not a hotel. Wifi is free of charge, and cleaning at the end of your stay is included, although we would expect you to empty out rubbish bins and leave the kitchen clean. We are all independent owners as opposed to being part of a large group.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 16-10-17 7:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks GarryC.

our daughter is working in on of the hotels in Chantemerle so that's the village we are looking at. I found this small place called Gîte le Passe Montagne which looks nice and close to the lifts. Was going to contact them and also ask about car parking as we will be driving because we need to pick up skis and boots at a friends chalet in montalburt.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nt.farmer, we stayed at Gite Le Passe Montagne quite a few years ago when we first started looking for an apartment to buy. It is in the old part of Chantemerle, but just a short walk from the ski lifts, and there's parking close by too, although not reserved for the gite. Very French, so communal dinner round the table, although I think it is under different owners now.
There's also the Chalet Marmottes close by, which is run by an English lady and her French ski instructor husband. https://www.chalet-marmottes.com/en-gb
Both are really nice places to stay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nt.farmer
Have a great time in Chantemerle no matter where you stay. I think it is a hidden gem. Easy access to a great ski area, some nice restaurants and bars ( not too hectic), bakery and Sherpa all easy walking distance and a good ski shop beside the lift.It does not have big resort prices and has a nice village feel. If you want a day off Briancon is a proper town to visit. If you have good snow I would nearly put it up there with Tignes VC or 3V for an enjoyable week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Again thanks both of you. will indeed have a look at Chalet marmottes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garry C

Just looks at the routes to get to Chantemerle and each time I plan a route I get different results. We normally drive to Montalburt, so know roads to chambery etc. But what is the best road route.

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm afraid I can't help you on the driving front. We normally fly into Turin and hire a car for the 60k trip to SC. I'm sure Hells Bells should be able to help you there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nt.farmer, send a pm to Weathercam and KenX as they both live in the SC valley and are regulars on here. Any driving tips or road closures then they are your boys.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nt.farmer, Down to Grenoble whichever way you fancy, then turn left on the D5 then D1091 to Briancon Very Happy
Still looking for accommodation? Let me have the dates , I look after a slope-side apartment in Chantemerle......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ Q.E.D.!
snow report
@ADESki, Laughing
snow conditions
I can highly recommend the Hotel Plein Sud in Chantmerle. Best hotel food I've ever had while on a ski holiday.
ski holidays
The apartments in chamiossiere are really nice. Approx 300 metres walk to lifts. Nice swimming pool. Think they are good value and high quality. Mel at eureka ski is really helpful. We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment last year and are returning. Zenith holidays have catered chalets which suit self drive. Ski Miquel might have deals that save you the need to drive in January.
snow conditions
KenX wrote:
@nt.farmer, Down to Grenoble whichever way you fancy, then turn left on the D5 then D1091 to Briancon Very Happy
Still looking for accommodation? Let me have the dates , I look after a slope-side apartment in Chantemerle......

Thanks KenX for that info. We have just booked a small apartment 2 days ago so thanks but all sorted now.

Only thing to decide is down in one day as Normal or over two as about 1hr extra travel time
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy