Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing life

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm a product design student in my third year 😨 And I need your help, for my final project I am making a product that will improve skiing life, but I don't know what the product is going to be yet! I want to know your favourite and least favourite things about skiing, do you have any issues with the equipment? And what do you think would make skiing even better?

Thank you!
Charlotte May 🎿
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow cannons that work in summer temperatures.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowboards?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
An app that generates believable excuses for additional time off work.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Charlottemay97, do you ski?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
least favourite: sharing an icy piste with out of control Dutchmen.
favourite: 20cm of fresh pow on a firm base with not a Dutchman in sight.

what I would like would be on demand fresh powder on every run!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang wrote:

Steilhang, I thought you'd ask for a way to restrict the freedom of movement of Dutchmen Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If I'm on my skis I'm not sure life can be improved ??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about an electric shock cattle prodder that could be attached to the end of a ski pole?

This could then be used during school holiday ski sessions, for clearing a path through queues at lift stations.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Least favourite things:

- Carrying Skis
- Walking in Ski Boots
- Fogging up Ski Googles
- Sometimes Ski Boots can be a bitch to put on
- Not feeling safe leaving skis in a ski rack during breaks
- The faff of taking videos while skiing
- Being unable to video myself skiing while trying to improve
- The faff of taking out a paper piste map to see where I want to go next
- Cold hands while going up in a chairlift
- Trying to use a mobile phone when geared up
- Trying to find my son when he's skied of ahead of me and doesn't stop
- Queue jumpers
- Muppets skiing too fast and dangerously
- Boarders making that scraping on ice noise behind you
- Not improving as quickly as I'd like to
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What @olderscot says Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
olderscot wrote:
Least favourite things:

This is a common gripe.

I'm a simple man... I'm not going to put ideas into production, but if any of you make millions out of the following suggestion, buy me a pint at the next snowheads bash!

Goggle technology is coming on leaps and bounds. With heads up displays for speed, gps location, even text messages.

What I'm suggesting is a pairing of parent & child goggles. The paired goggles have a small light beacon only visible through the paired lens... (it must be possible)

Or a proximity device that electrocutes your child once they stray more than 50 metres away.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang wrote:
... what I would like would be on demand fresh powder on every run!

It's called "heli skiing".
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@letsgetpiste, HUD in goggles has already been done.

Some Ice Hockey games have used a puck containing a radio transmitter, a glowing dot at the position of the puck is mixed into the TV signal before broadcast.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
horizon wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Steilhang, I thought you'd ask for a way to restrict the freedom of movement of Dutchmen Laughing
I refuse to turn this into a Brexit thread, but your idea has merit.
snow report
Less Lifts & NO Grooming
ski holidays
Ski piste sat-nav.

a) "Let's go down this red and stop at the first chair on the left." shouldn't involve 2 people ending up 50yrds down the slope at the second lift on the left, then bitching when you make them walk back up to join the rest of the group but experience suggests it is.

b) Even at resorts I know well there's a few spots where the 3 clear crossovers on the piste map are NOT 3 clear crossovers on the piste and end up on a different piste to the one I was looking for.

OK, "Make a U-turn where possible" isn't going to help much and having it on all the time going "At the next tree, go straight on" but just critical "Turn left on to <piste> in 50m/10m/0m" for when you don't know the resort/know it's a tricky crossover, with the ability to up the information in a white-out and can't tell which way is down, let alone where the edges of the piste have gone would be useful.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
@letsgetpiste, HUD in goggles has already been done.

Some Ice Hockey games have used a puck containing a radio transmitter, a glowing dot at the position of the puck is mixed into the TV signal before broadcast.

No no, I get that!! What I want is my child to show up as a glowing red dot when I look through my goggles!!
latest report
@letsgetpiste, The problems of working out where to display the puck and working out where to display your child are exactly the same.
snow report
@rjs, perhaps if we simplify the issue. Stick an infrared LED on the childs helmet. Make infrared LED visible through goggle lens.
ski holidays
What would be useful is interactive piste map apps with current queue time on each lift and live notification of piste status. That way you don't end up in a very long queue because the piste you and lots of other were aiming for was closed forcing everybody up the same lift.

Not sure that counts as a product...
snow report
To assist with the OP, a number of products already exist that reduce hassle of a lot of the stuff listed earlier:

- Carrying Skis - several ski carrying designs exist, Trixski (who whatever she's called) recently announced a new product on SH that is apparently groundbreaking in this respect
- Fogging up Ski Googles - there's loads with special types of foam, coating or even fans in them to improve vent.
- Sometimes Ski Boots can be a bitch to put on - there's a little silk thing you can get that apparently works wonders
- Not feeling safe leaving skis in a ski rack during breaks - locks, very common on the other side of the pond.
- Being unable to video myself skiing while trying to improve - GoPpro drone does a thing that follows you
- The faff of taking out a paper piste map to see where I want to go next - a gondola and a memory
- Cold hands while going up in a chairlift - gloves...or failing that, heated gloves
- Trying to use a mobile phone when geared up - handsfree headphones and Siri/Cortana/whatever the android version of this is.
- Trying to find my son when he's skied of ahead of me and doesn't stop - contraception (that's more of a preventative measure to ensure that the problem never arises)
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
What would be useful is interactive piste map apps with current queue time on each lift and live notification of piste status. That way you don't end up in a very long queue because the piste you and lots of other were aiming for was closed forcing everybody up the same lift.

Not sure that counts as a product...

Val Thorens introduced something along those lines, they were trialling it at the bash. It was an electronic sign at the top of a chairlift that advised which was the buesiest run.
latest report
letsgetpiste wrote:
@rjs, perhaps if we simplify the issue. Stick an infrared LED on the childs helmet. Make infrared LED visible through goggle lens.

Which is fine till you find 50 little'uns on the same piste all wearing the LED's and then you don't have a clue who to follow
ski holidays
Quote:

To assist with the OP, a number of products already exist that reduce hassle of a lot of the stuff listed earlier:

Very true, although I have to say in my opinion with various degrees of success. I also suspect that part of doing a product design brief is looking at the solutions people have come up with before and creating something that's better rather than just coming up with something no-one has thought of before.
latest report
What would make skiing even better Charlotte asks............

No snowboards/snowboarders, period!

Ya, from a realistic standpoint, that would essentially be all that is necessary.

Equipment, across-the-board, for many, years - decades relative to the time is just fine. One simply has to do it right as it were and get things right which is its own journey - riddle. If you place a singular focus on equipment you're chasing rainbows. Case in point........ I've had lots of true powder days and I mean powder......., 50cm - 90cm. So why are some of the most memorable days in my reverie back in the 80's and 90's, on a set of old, traditional skis (204cm/210cm) with a 66mm or so waist arguably the best I've ever had? Makes no sense, right? Back then the skis and boots were "inferior" to what is available today. Or so I am told. Whew knew?

You want better? Keep it simple. Real simple. Less, way less IS more. And all this electronic and "app" nonsense..........? Stuff it!!!!

I have a bevy of tips to make anyone's day(s) on the slopes better in all manner......... Just ask.
snow report
arcsinice wrote:
What would make skiing even better Charlotte asks............

No snowboards/snowboarders, period!

Ya, from a realistic standpoint, that would essentially be all that is necessary.

Equipment, across-the-board, for many, years - decades relative to the time is just fine. One simply has to do it right as it were and get things right which is its own journey - riddle. If you place a singular focus on equipment you're chasing rainbows. Case in point........ I've had lots of true powder days and I mean powder......., 50cm - 90cm. So why are some of the most memorable days in my reverie back in the 80's and 90's, on a set of old, traditional skis (204cm/210cm) with a 66mm or so waist arguably the best I've ever had? Makes no sense, right? Back then the skis and boots were "inferior" to what is available today. Or so I am told. Whew knew?

You want better? Keep it simple. Real simple. Less, way less IS more. And all this electronic and "app" nonsense, as well, uber wide dummkopf skis..........? Stuff it!!!!

I have a bevy of tips to make anyone's day(s) on the slopes better in all manner......... Just ask.
snow report
Some kind of large conical devices attached to my snowboard that will amplify the bejesus out of the scraping noise I deliberately make when coming up behind skiers to alert them of my presence.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Favourite thing - fresh snow
Least favourite thing - No fresh snow

Solution - weather controlling device

10% royalty will suffice.
ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:

Actually it makes perfect sense:

- https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201212/why-does-the-past-seem-happy
- https://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-markman-phd/past-less-intense-than-present_b_987726.html

Though there's also the factor less people were skiing - let alone skiing powder - then. So more freshies all round.

In fact that's the answer: private powder.

But philwig already got there with heliskiing (our ski touring for the environmentally minded).

EDIT: actually I suppose just making skiing more expensive again would work. Maybe Brexit will actually have an upside Laughing
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Very true, although I have to say in my opinion with various degrees of success. I also suspect that part of doing a product design brief is looking at the solutions people have come up with before and creating something that's better rather than just coming up with something no-one has thought of before.

True. I was being a little tongue in cheek....plus I wanted to make sure we weren't going to have another person announcing how amazing their product is when it's something that seems to crop up on Snowheads every year Smile
latest report
@arcsinice,
Quote:
Equipment, across-the-board, for many, years - decades relative to the time is just fine. One simply has to do it right as it were and get things right which is its own journey - riddle. If you place a singular focus on equipment you're chasing rainbows. Case in point........ I've had lots of true powder days and I mean powder......., 50cm - 90cm. So why are some of the most memorable days in my reverie back in the 80's and 90's, on a set of old, traditional skis (204cm/210cm) with a 66mm or so waist arguably the best I've ever had
Good for you. I also learned powder skiing on straight 205s, and had a lot of great days off piste on them, but there is no way I would want to go back there. Modern shaped skis are simply more fun, as are modern wide skis in the powder. Having fun is the only thing that matters IMO.
snow conditions
I would really like some kind of microphone/amp/speaker setup on my snowboard, so that when I hoon up behind timid skiers on icy days, I can make heaps more noise and really freak them out
latest report
@clarky999, Got some photographs out yesterday to show my 18 year old son a holiday back in very late 70's. Fresh tracks in lovely deep powder. He was impressed by the equipment that we used but even more impressed that there were no other tracks at all. Made me realise just how rare that is now and that on that run it would be skied out within the hour let alone by lunchtime when the photos were taken.
I would like an anti-piste machine that converts compacted snow back into light and fluffy powder. Shocked
ski holidays
skitrack wrote:
What @olderscot says Madeye-Smiley

Ditto
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
I would really like some kind of microphone/amp/speaker setup on my snowboard, so that when I hoon up behind timid skiers on icy days, I can make heaps more noise and really freak them out

Can I have something similar to wear so when I go skiing past snowboarders who are sat in the middle of a slope, usually just over the last rise so they can get up easier off their wet back bottoms, that makes them look up as I put a really hard turn in so that all the snow I spray goes directly into their face?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yeah I'm a skier Smile
latest report
letsgetpiste wrote:
olderscot wrote:
Least favourite things:

This is a common gripe.

I'm a simple man... I'm not going to put ideas into production, but if any of you make millions out of the following suggestion, buy me a pint at the next snowheads bash!

Goggle technology is coming on leaps and bounds. With heads up displays for speed, gps location, even text messages.

What I'm suggesting is a pairing of parent & child goggles. The paired goggles have a small light beacon only visible through the paired lens... (it must be possible)

Or a proximity device that electrocutes your child once they stray more than 50 metres away.

Great ideas, i was thinking of a vibritating wristband for kids that vibrates when they are too far away from their parents/instructor, technical stuff isn't really my thing but I'm sure a lot of research can change that.
latest report
Very helpful, thank you!

olderscot wrote:
Least favourite things:

- Carrying Skis
- Walking in Ski Boots
- Fogging up Ski Googles
- Sometimes Ski Boots can be a bitch to put on
- Not feeling safe leaving skis in a ski rack during breaks
- The faff of taking videos while skiing
- Being unable to video myself skiing while trying to improve
- The faff of taking out a paper piste map to see where I want to go next
- Cold hands while going up in a chairlift
- Trying to use a mobile phone when geared up
- Queue jumpers
- Muppets skiing too fast and dangerously
- Boarders making that scraping on ice noise behind you
- Not improving as quickly as I'd like to
snow report
Charlottemay97 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yeah I'm a skier Smile

Good ...you will know when people are talking bollox Laughing

I like the vibrating wristband but how could you make it unique to one family?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy