Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Memmingen to St.Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Found cheap flights to Memmingen and just wondering if anyone has taken the train from there to St.Anton and what it was like. Normally go via Zurich but this year the flight times don't suit.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Typically 4 - 5 hours, with 3 changes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjp123, Be much easier with a hire car, 2 hours max.

Who flies in there these days, Ryanair?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It maybe a cheap flight but it will cost you around €45 each way on the train unless you have a discount cards for Germany & Austria and take about 4-5hrs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all,

Have booked the flights already I'm afraid. Price of same was attractive (€100 return incl. baggage) however overall decision was dictated by the flight times.
Return flight ex. Zurich was departing at 1000 meaning a very early start on the Saturday - non runner.
Good to know re. train thanks and I think I can live with €45 transfers.

By the way what would one expect to pay for car hire - normally avoid this like the plague due to vignettes, insurance, snowchains etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjp123, Vignette 12€ for 10 days.... hardly a major cost.... snowchains not required from there to St Anton, all motorway. Car hire have a look on Holiday Autos, should be cheap from there.

Who flies there?

Considered a bus transfer?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjp123,

FYI

Munich Airport in travelling time is nearer by train & probably has more regular & frequent flights
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flying with Ryanair. Will look at bus option also.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2 hours in a car. Easy drive via tunnel as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers.....looks like the way to do it alright!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beware that if you don't have proper winter types (I think in Germany it isn't mandatory), you may struggle when you get to some of the surrounding villages to St Anton. In the days when Ryanair flew to friedrichshafen, we didn't pay the massive supplement for winter types assuming they would be fitted anyway. We were staying in Pettneu and one of us had to sit on the bonnet of the car to weigh it down and allow us to reach our hotel. We couldn't get into the parking slot as the Hyundai we'd rented behaved like a hovercraft in snow. We just got out on the folllowing weekend without buying snowchains. Hopefully you'll get enough snow to worry about winter tyres...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Winter tyres are a legal requirement in Austria but (as far as I am aware) not in Germany. You will therefore most likely be charged extra for them (as we were, last time we hired a car at Munich Airport & drove to Austria).

Having said that, Auto Europe may include them in the hire price. Best to shop around & check, I think.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Being slightly pedantic winter tires in Austria on cars (up to 3.5t) are only a legal requirement in winter conditions.

From a practical perspective of course you cannot know in advance when winter conditions will occur and legal or not they make a huge difference in winter conditions.

https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/6/Seite.0631001.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you all need to read this with respect to winter tyres in Germany and Austria.
https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/snow-tires-winter-driving/

Fact winter tyres are mandatory in Austria from 1st Nov to 15th April

Fact winter tyres are mandatory in winter conditions in Germany and no specific dates are set. You would be foolish not to use winter tyres because you cannot be certain whe conditions are winter conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rjp123,
I hired a car from Sixt, was just simpler all round for 4 of us. And means you can ski in the afternoon Very Happy
snow conditions
@kevinraine, starting your post with the word “Fact” does not make what follows it factually correct...

It is NOT mandatory to have winter tires from 01 November to 15 April in Austria. So that is er not a Fact.

See below from the Austrian government (and I‘m guessing they know) website which I linked to.

“PLEASE NOTE

The obligation to use winter tyres or snow chains on passenger cars and trucks up to 3.5 t only applies in winter conditions and only if the vehicle is operated in these conditions.”

So very similar to Germany. That said I was as I said being pedantic. The reality is that unless you want to only drive in Austria between those dates when you are sure that there are no winter conditions you are better off having winter tires...
snow report
I’ve never had a car from any hire company operating out of Memmingen that didn’t have winter tyres, so not sure this whole debate is relevant....
snow report
@SteveKirby, +1 they all do...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy