Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Edges

Poster: A snowHead
I'm new to this skiing lark. I've read on this forum that ski edges can rust if not maintained and stored correctly. Simple question; why don't they make the edges out of stainless steel? The marine industry makes almost all metal fitments out of stainless. Just curious.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's an old thread on TG that suggests it could be because they'd be more expensive and more difficult to sharpen.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awdbugga wrote:
I'm new to this skiing lark. I've read on this forum that ski edges can rust if not maintained and stored correctly. Simple question; why don't they make the edges out of stainless steel? The marine industry makes almost all metal fitments out of stainless. Just curious.

The metal edges have to flex with the ski so they're made from carbon steel of approx 48 rockwell hardness to allow for the movement. Not much more harder than that, which would include the softest stainless steel grades, and the edges will be become work hardened and crack.

Carbon steel has the benefit of being lower cost, durable enough but can still be maintained with rudimentary hand tools.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can never get an edge of stainless as sharp as a carbon steel material.

Some other examples follow the same, professional chefs' knives are carbon steel usually, regularly sharpened and oiled to prevent corrosion when not in use. The sharpening steel is mainly a giant deburr tool.

Engineering cutters, again favour carbon steel over stainless for cutting steel materials amongst others.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Makes sense. Not being a metallurgist, I was unaware of the properties of the various types of steel. Thanks for explaining it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the late 90's Atomic mad a few pairs of skis with Chrome edges, bloody awful things to work on as a Tech. You could only sharpen them with a diamond stone and they wrecked normal grinding belts and stone grinders. They were supposed to hold sharpness better, but no one bothered to re shapen the dammed things
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lot of disinformation in this thread, already ......

As an idealist you'd wan't the hardest edges possible, makes sense ...... but they need to bend.

As an engineer you'd realise that 'hard' and 'flexible' are two different things.

'Stainless Steel' comes in many different forms ...... Sorry.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can you please enlighten is further BCJohnny?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Duplo, for one thing they have different grades that have different resistance to rust. I've seen plenty of 'stainless steel' items (such as handrails or staircases) rust when they're in a seaside resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you have a flexible but hard steel, or are those two properties a trade off against each other? Interesting the point Idris made about she edges tat were so hard they couldn't be sharpened easily, so people couldn't be bothered. I guess you have to have relatively easy maintenance or people wont do it and you'll end up with a blunter edge in the end!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Duplo, you can get both properties within the same component. For example a band saw blade may be made of a heat treatable steel that makes the teeth hard and more brittle but leaving the support part of the blade in a more flexible state. They do this by selectively treating the lead edge which alters the material's structure just locally along that edge. This may be closest to and relevant in form and scale to a ski's edge.

@BCjohnny, I thought the original responses to the OP covered the subject in a reasonable way which they've acknowledged and without going toward an overtly technical depth. Are you just going to lob a grenade in and leg it? Or, intend to elaborate on our shortcomings?

'Engineers' come in many different forms, amongst them plastics, chemical, mechanical..........sorry. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski3 wrote:
BCjohnny, I thought the original responses to the OP covered the subject in a reasonable way which they've acknowledged and without going toward an overtly technical depth. Are you just going to lob a grenade in and leg it? Or, intend to elaborate on our shortcomings?

Thank you for taking the time to adjudicate over this thread ...... by the scale of reference you're imposing, any worthwhile reply would be 'overly technical'.

Quote:
'Engineers' come in many different forms, amongst them plastics, chemical, mechanical..........sorry. Toofy Grin

Of course, but the better ones I deal with don't necessarily try to constrain themselves to individual disciplines, but you knew that ........ wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I prefer engineers to be more civil.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else remember the Veilhaber MTBs with segmented edges?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mosha Marc, Laughing
snow report
@Mosha Marc, haha!!
ski holidays
Dode yes, they were the cutting edge for their time Laughing

My first pair of skis had I think screw on edges. Short separate sections screwed into the wood Shocked
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
Lot of disinformation in this thread, already ......
<shrug> The only "disinformation" is coming from the person complaining about disinformation. Very presidential, we're all impressed.

--
On the OP, they rust surprisingly quickly if you for example leave them in a wet ski bag on a transatlantic flight. One way to avoid that is to run a block of wax along the edge. For summer storage, if there's any chance of humidity, you also want them to be waxed.

Edges seem simple and cheap to buy, but there's more variation than I'd have expected. These people claim to sell 170 different edge profiles.
snow conditions
@Mosha Marc Laughing
snow report
@philwig, do people ever use those small bags of Silica gel in their ski bags? They are cheap as chips to buy. I dry mine off with kitchen towel after every use, and let the stand in a warm room, but have still got what looks like a tiny spot of rust on one edge already; and I only bought them in August. Crying or Very sad
snow report
@Awdbugga, ski edges rust. When you service them or ski on them, the rust comes off. As long as you're not storing them in a swamp, the rust build up will be manageable.
latest report
@Scarlet, Thanks.
ski holidays
Here another engineer.... Very Happy Not a civil engineer, but more civil Smile

In reality there are a lot of different types of steel between carbon steel and stainless steel, as the amount of corrosion resistance depends on how much chromium and nickel is used. Less chromium, is less corrosion resistance.

However, the addition of chromium makes stainless steel brittle and thus not flexible as mentioned before. Also, brittle metals tend to crack easily when you hit for example a stone. This would render any modern ski quite useless as the metal edges are sandwiched in. Furthermore, a brittle material will lose the edge very quickly as the sharpened edge will chip the second you scrape over hardpack or ice.

And the most important reason that a high corrosion resistant steel cannot be used: stainless has very quick and severe work hardening. Grinding stainless on a machine will leave an edge that is absolutely impossible to sharpen with files. Also skiing will work harden the edge (to a lesser extent) but still will absolutely destroy your files. It's just not a practical material to use.

In reality manufacturers might use a bit of chromium, or carbon....the exact type of steel they never specify. But it will never be to the extent we will call it stainless because that is an unworkable material to repeatedly sharpen and keep an edge on.

Hope that explains why ski edges rust....a bit. Very Happy I mostly just quickly wipe them with a rag or (paper) towel (base and most importantly the sides) then stand them upright in a locker with the base away from the wall so that any residue snow in the bindings will not leak onto the edges. If they need to be dropped in the car, I will put them outside in the sun for an hour with the base turned away from the sun (UV is no good for plastics). If there is no sun.....then I'm basically out of luck and do my best with a towel and hope for the best. Most rust is superficial and will easily come off with a diamond file. The worst is rust between the sidewall and the edge.... that will never come out again and will get worse over time. But then again.... 2-3 seasons and then the ski's need replacement anyway as their overall stiffness and torsion-stiffness is gone. Smile
snow report
dode wrote:
Anyone else remember the Veilhaber MTBs with segmented edges?

Other brands made skis with segmented edges too, I don't think Vielhaber would have manufactured them from scratch.

Idris would be the expert on who makes edges now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy