Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, who will win the Olympic men's downhill?

Poster: A snowHead
Who said the French cant ski wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great run, he deserved his win.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno wrote:
aww, I did feel sorry for Walchoffer though, I would have been happy for him to have won it - a nice guy!
And Deneriaz is one of the nicest guys on the circuit. He'll always stop and answer questions, not matter how well he's raced, pose for photos, sign autographs, or just chat if you come across him in a bar - not a scrap of arrogance in him...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Where's he from?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Morillon
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I was in Les Gets then Toofy Grin must be some good parties around there and Samoens
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great race - delighted for Kernen & what a run by Deneriaz!
Also thought the commentary was excellent. Nick 'C4' Fellows & JC worked very well together.

markP, Which one's been getting a bashing then ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowskisnow wrote:
Who said the French cant ski wink
A quick question.....

In the history of the Winter Olympics how many nations have won the blue riband event, in either the men's or the women's Downhill, over three consecutive Games? And which nation(s) is/are they?

wink

Sorry; that's two questions... Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 12-02-06 14:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jerry, Poor old Matt Chilton hasn't been impressing some of our fellow snowHeads with his commentating in the mogul skiing...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG,
eEvans wrote:
PG, , I can't find that original quote of yours on the medal table Cool What an incredible run , and to his credit not a one-run wonder this week .... even if his results haven't been great this year ...

I can, what's it worth? wink

eEvans, I can, what's it worth? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
PG,
eEvans wrote:
PG, , I can't find that original quote of yours on the medal table Cool What an incredible run , and to his credit not a one-run wonder this week .... even if his results haven't been great this year ...

I can, what's it worth?

eEvans, I can, what's it worth?

Post a link - we should all see how accurate PG's forecast was Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, I think we can keep it for a few days , maybe show it to the French medallists !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, sorry, I owe PG first refusal on this one, but you're welcome to join the bidding Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it was a very tongue in cheek forecast (even if I did have a tenner on it at huge odds Madeye-Smiley)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
markP, Oh right, sorry I misunderstood. Quite agree there, BBC commentary & coverage not in the same class as ES & C4.
snow report
Sorry to be ignorant and it may have been explained elsewhere, but what's the story on numbers 31 and above. Do they get given a run just to build experience?
ski holidays
From 32ish on you get to those countries that have entered a racer who - although he has achieved the minimum qualification standard - is miles from the elite. Roger (Cruickshank) isn't that far off, ranked 108 in the world in downhill, but the further you work down the start list the more distant they are - such as South African Alexander Heath, ranked 608, to the last starter Slvakian Heimschild (who failed to finish), ranked 905.

The difference between Deneriaz and Cruickshank over that course was some 6 seconds, between Deneriaz and Heath (who finished second last) more than 10 seconds.

The last ten or so racers were travelling roughly 10% slower than the winner (so they would still have passed their speed tests no problem wink.
snow report
Steve Sparks, eveeryone has "qualifying runs". It use to be that the fastest time in aukqifying started first - second fastest started second etc.

A couple of years ago they decided to revers the order of the first 30 - so the fastest in qualifying starts at number 30, second fastest starts at number 29 etc down to the 30th fastest in qualifying begin the first out of the gates

it's led to some tactical manoeuvres where racers don't necessarily fo flat out - as they would prefer an ealrier start number. the theory is that by the time 30 racers have gone down over the racing line, the course will have cut up a bit and you might lose some speed. Conversely, being first out is not necessarily the best, as you won;t have any feedback on the state of the course.

this tactical "slowing down" in qualifying can backfire though, you can slow down too much and not finish in the top 30 - in whch case running order matches qualifying position.

does that help?
snow report
PG, andnbt, thanks ever so much guys. As ever, timely, comprehensive and lucid answers.
snow conditions
...if not exactly well typed Smile

nice to be appreciated, and to be able to help
ski holidays
yes, thanks PG and nbt. I was wondering about this too
latest report
Nay problem, it's even confusing for the racers, Bode was complaining about it recently....

A first MySnowSports report with some of the background to the French Team's struggles and Deneriaz's ruptured ACL just 13 months ago ...
snow report
And the full report from our man on the spot, Neil McQuoid alias 'racerready'...
ski holidays
I'm just glad I watched right till the end. Fantastic event!!!
snow conditions
According to the BBC coverage, Deneriaz's margin of victory (0.72 seconds) is the largest since the 1964 Downhill Olympics. Stupendous performance!
ski holidays
... and 1964 was at a time when ski technology was leaping ahead - early in the era of the use of fibreglass - with much more distinct advantages between skis. So, to do it in 2005 on an Olympic course is - indeed - remarkable!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy