Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro updated and new devices coming soon (28th Sep)

Poster: A snowHead
for those of that ilk at 9am Pacific Standard time gopro will announce their new updated cameras.

Highlights in terms of camera

Gopro have developed their own custom chipset which allows 1080p 240fps or 4k 60fps and some other functionality also coming along and more integration with their cloud offering which they've already released ahead of the hardware.

Update Karma with tracking/follow me functionality and improved flight envelope.

More to come as I get it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-09-17 12:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Says 28th Sept at 9am pacific on the MTB forum. Not sure which day it is in reality.

Was in a store the other day, and noticed that the entire GoPro display was a bit mother hubbard, with only accessories for sale. Did wonder at the time if they were "doing an Apple" (aka make sure everything is sold out ready to get the new stuff in stock on release day).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy, yep, original title (when in apres) had 28th on it, but i deleted and moved it here but forgot to put the date back on the title.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So it's today! Really keen to see what features it'll have.
Been holding out for the right cam for a long while now. Had my eye on the Yi 4k+, but that was very slow coming.
I guess we'll hear from Garmin soon as well, anouncing their new cam.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Speed bump, so 60fps for 4K, perhaps a quality bump as well from the faster processor but essentially the same as the GoPro 5? Disappointingly the price point goes up £100 (to £499 rap) from the GoPro 5 (which stays the same price, £399 rrp). Unless I'm missing something it's not a compelling upgrade for me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, the devil is in the detail. The in house GP1 processor gives better performance, which is why they can get 4k 60fps, which then filters down to the lower levels. They've nailed 4k 60fps as that allow the camera to give digital stabilisation which is wanted by a big sector of the market who can't get away with using a gimbal. They couldn't get the stabilisation withouth getting 4k @ 60fps. There are 3 big up sells with the Hero-6. in camera stabilsation, much fast connectivity and the in app self editing.

I've tried all 3 and it's pretty well done, though not without issues in v1, the in app editing is actually pretty clever. Given the stats I've already seen if you haven't got your order in for a Hero6 black in the next 24 hours, you'll most likely be on back order. 6 session and other variants coming soon, along with some pretty sweet sw upgrades.

My production new Karma, Karma grip and H6 black due to doorstep tomorrrow so I'm told. but i've got the other stuff to play with in the meantime. Not that I've got time for that right now.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going to bite the bullett prior to Jan. What's the best way of mounting these things for skiing? Want to film others which probably means a stick of some sort? And a helmet mount for my own skiing , although I hate the telletubbie look!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@endoman, depends what you're after. The best option is to play with them and have fun, lot's of short clips works best for an end edit, but it's always hrard work.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B&H are selling them for the same price US dollars as the UK price is in pounds.

I'd quite like 60fps at 4k, although it's something I would probably use once a year. Not worth the upgrade cost, for me.

They're attempting to crank up the price against rapidly improving and cheaper competition. That's the same play Apple just made with their phones. I wonder how it'll work out.
--
>> What's the best way of mounting these things for skiing? Want to film others which probably means a stick of some sort? And a helmet mount for my own skiing , although I hate the telletubbie look
Skiers seem to like helmet mounts, although you see people with chest mounts too.

I've been shot by skiers using either my own stick (a 1.5m Carbon Fiber 250g thing), or with a standard ski pole.
The photographer needs to be a strong skier/ rider, and the subject needs to be as close as possible - the lenses on GoPros are very wide.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What's the best way of mounting these things for skiing? Want to film others which probably means a stick of some sort? And a helmet mount for my own skiing , although I hate the telletubbie look

After owning the 2nd generation of the hero which i was disappointed with I bite the bullet and bought the 5 hero. I cant say how big improvement it is with having a screen! I am planning on trying various positions this season inc around my shin, on the ski's (leashed) etc but i think most footage will be taken with the rucksack strap mount .

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/polarpro-gopro-and-smartphone-backpack-strap-mount-57424?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&referer=PLA&cur=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInP3YxsDK1gIVUcayCh0AqQPlEAQYASABEgKgdPD_BwE

I managed to pick up a brand new hero 5 for £290 (ebay) early summer, for what i need the 60fps @ 4k not worth another £210. I also bought a gimble which should be fun aswell!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's the YT promo.
Some slo-mo sequences are simply stunning looking:

http://youtube.com/v/vr0qNXmkUJ8
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the gopro promotion videos are awesome!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@endoman, I like the chest mount as it's lower, you don't bang it on ski lifts and the POV is better. Also it means that you can get the skis in shot which gives perspective. I think that videos work better with variety though. All the videos I've done have been fairly limited so on my next trip I'm going to experiment with more options, take a selfie stick and mouth mount as well as the one on my helmet and chest. The mouthpiece is supposedly pretty good (although I've yet to use one and not convinced it's not a recipe for a trip to the dentist) and seems to give the best POV style shots. It also means that you can easily go from it being a pov to being handheld.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks, I like the look of that rucksack strap. I plan to get through life without resorting to purchasing a selfie stick. Agree re the variety. I may allow myself to borrow the childs stick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@endoman, I didn't want the selfie stick but bought a pack of various mounts and that was one of them. If you want to film others then it's probably the best bet, unfortunately. Anything that's mounted directly to you will face the way that you're facing, so unless you're skiing directly behind them they'll be in/out of shot. With the stick you can point the camera at someone and ski alongside them. The other option could be to find a clamp that works to fix a mount to one of your poles, at least that way you don't have to carry the stick Very Happy
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@endoman, I didn't want the selfie stick but bought a pack of various mounts and that was one of them. If you want to film others then it's probably the best bet, unfortunately. Anything that's mounted directly to you will face the way that you're facing, so unless you're skiing directly behind them they'll be in/out of shot. With the stick you can point the camera at someone and ski alongside them. The other option could be to find a clamp that works to fix a mount to one of your poles, at least that way you don't have to carry the stick Very Happy

The standard gopro mounts (handlebar) will fit to most ski poles, at worst you need to put a little but of padding to take up space if the pole is a little thin, the other option is to point the camera at the thick end of the pole, but this leaves you holding the basket end. I prefer to use a telescopic pole which than then be closed down with the camera on and stuck inside your jacket. The downside is you then have to carry two poles in one hand when skiing.

You could get a spinner helmet mount (I have one, because I pretty much have everything gopro related).

The other option is get the 360 gopro stick it on a pole and use Angel mode....... I'll leave that one hanging with you gnarly dudes Happy ...
ski holidays
A bit disappointed in the price.

I've been halfarsedly considering upgrading my 3 Black for a while and even though the new 6 doesn't add anything I'd use over the 5 (I never use any resolution with a 'k' in it and app based editing doesn't appeal to me) I'd been hoping it'd either be at a price I could justify, or the 5 would come down a bit with the introduction of a new 'top of the line' camera.
ski holidays
thought this was pretty good idea. folding selfie stick with rucksack strap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polarpro-Strap-Mount-GoPro-Camera/dp/B00UJI8OQU?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
I cant see the 5 holding its value for long. I have seen it discounted as low as £320 (argos) inc some freebies mid summer and back to full price when its replacement model comes out!
snow report
WASHOUT wrote:
I cant see the 5 holding its value for long. I have seen it discounted as low as £320 (argos) inc some freebies mid summer and back to full price when its replacement model comes out!

That's good to know, £320 isn't too bad... I'm fine with waiting for a while anyways as money isn't great right now.
snow conditions
@jjams82, dont' dismiss the app based editing till you've tried it, okay it's not a pro production full blown edit, but for quick click and post it's very good in my experience.

Also in terms of the uplift on the 6, some people are missing the point, sure in terms of 'a gopro' there is not a great deal of difference that most people want, will need or use right now but the new hardware is so much more capable, think faster, better and with the software upgrades coming in the next few months that are going to add further stuff.

Disclaimer:- As a few people know I am to GoPro how some people are to Apple so I am openly biased.

Anyway my brand new Production Hero 6, karma and other goodies are sitting waiting for me to play with.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
@jjams82, dont' dismiss the app based editing till you've tried it, okay it's not a pro production full blown edit, but for quick click and post it's very good in my experience.

Also in terms of the uplift on the 6, some people are missing the point, sure in terms of 'a gopro' there is not a great deal of difference that most people want, will need or use right now but the new hardware is so much more capable, think faster, better and with the software upgrades coming in the next few months that are going to add further stuff.

Disclaimer:- As a few people know I am to GoPro how some people are to Apple so I am openly biased.

Anyway my brand new Production Hero 6, karma and other goodies are sitting waiting for me to play with.

App stuff does seem like it may be great for many but personally I don't operate a smartphone day-to-day (though I admit I do have one with no sim for occasional wifi on the go, the odd app or two, and satnav.. It stays at home 99% of the time) and rather enjoy the traditional computer-based editing process:)

I can see your point RE the upgrades, for the pro video production types (and keen amateurs) I'm sure it'd be a powerful tool indeed. Again my opinion on the 6 upgrades is only coming from my own perspective and what I'd make use of.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
... the chest mount ... POV is better. Also it means that you can get the skis in shot which gives perspective. .... The mouthpiece is supposedly pretty good (although I've yet to use one and not convinced it's not a recipe for a trip to the dentist) and seems to give the best POV style shots. ...
I agree the chest mount gives a better angle, not sure why it's not more common. My guess is that the "helmet" mount is just easier to set up.

My snowboarding/ surfing mate Ken makes the prostandard mouth mounts.
He also owns a Whistler cat ski operator and although a boarder, demonstrates both the pole and the mouth mount combined in this crash video.
He broke a few ribs but the mouth mount was fine, as are his teeth.

http://youtube.com/v/obCoLgo367w?list=PLD94xD6jIzvUnpYgQdQjp9mDeetA-6Xt-
(We were learning to no-board: it's a long story, but the moral is: obey the guide, even if you're the boss.)

With pole mounts, if you're going to buy one then just make sure that you like the composition it delivers.
That is, if the pole isn't long enough, then you won't fit in the frame. And if the pole is long enough but too heavy...
snow report
It's not the teeth I'd be worried about, just everything else around them! Keep using them though, more work for me.
ski holidays
Have to say I don't really like chest cam on skiers: too many knees and arms (and pow) in the way. If you use superview no problem getting skis on shot on the helmet mount.

For filming other people this rig a mate put together is the best I've come across: https://auffiundowi.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/the-final-rig/

Got some pretty cool footage with it:

Following Smiles all the Way Down! from Sqikunst
https://vimeo.com/90537288

Last Turns of the Season? from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/95663922

I won one of these a couple of years ago https://www.sailvideosystem.com/collections/all-products/products/3rdpersonview-lite. It gets some really cool shots, but is a pain in the back bottom on lifts
snow conditions
@clarky999, not sure I'd want that fixed to my back, not something for a skier of my ability! Obviously the proper gimbals are great for shots, but you're talking £££s rather than a few quid.
snow report
@SnoodiesMcFlude yes gimbals are a expensive luxury but I picked up a hero 5 and a g5 gimbal (both brand new) for less than the rrp of a hero 6....
ski holidays
@philwig, noboarding looks so much fun. I don't board (yet) but I'd love to give noboarding a go, it looks really smooth and flowing...although I'm sure it's really tricky and obviously you need decent depth to make it work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WASHOUT wrote:
the gopro promotion videos are awesome!

Its easy to get sucked into the whole "beautiful people doing cool things in a amazing places" vibe but 10 minutes of POV of someone snowploughing down various blue runs never seems quite as impressive.......
snow conditions
galpinos wrote:
... Its easy to get sucked into the whole "beautiful people doing cool things in a amazing places" vibe but 10 minutes of POV of someone snowploughing down various blue runs never seems quite as impressive.......

I imagine they spend a large amount on their promotional videos. Wasn't it the Lily drone which was promoted with a view shot on... another manufacturer's drone? I'm sure GoPro would not risk that, but even so that stuff is presumably produced by multiple dedicated professional crews and very well edited. User-generated content would give a more reasonable idea of what's possible in the real world.

--
noboarding Yes, you need enough powder to support a turn, and you can't ride anything remotely hard. That makes learning time tough to find, as even at a resort on a powder day you're going to have to navigate hard pack. I was wondering about ways around that, but of course that is why bindings were invented wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I imagine they spend a large amount on their promotional videos. Wasn't it the Lily drone which was promoted with a view shot on... another manufacturer's drone? I'm sure GoPro would not risk that, but even so that stuff is presumably produced by multiple dedicated professional crews and very well edited. User-generated content would give a more reasonable idea of what's possible in the real world.

All the footage shot on hero6. The key part is in the edit and believe it or not though they do have a team, the really key stuff is still done by one man Abe Kislevitz , he does pretty much all the main gopro edits, he is also pretty good on 2 planks as it goes so can't be all that bad a guy.
snow report
@ansta1, do you have a feel for how the file size of 4K60 with h.265 compares to 4k30 with h.264? Storage requirements of high frame rate 4K footage has always put me off, but I understand the new codec is very efficient at compressing the footage without losing too much quality.
snow report
Quote:

selfie stick

Can we use the official terminology please - that is "wand of narcissism" Very Happy
latest report
So, will the Hero 5 actually fall in price after Christmas and for a punter new to "action cams" will I notice the difference between the 5 and 6?
snow report
I have the GoPro 4+ Black. I’ve used a chest mount and rucksack mount both give a nice POV, chest being the better of the two. But with both mounts there is quite a lot of shake. The best results we’ve had is a ski pole mount, found on amazon. I handlebar mount on a ski pole would give a POV of 90degrees to direction of travel. Great for filming friends, not so good for self filming. The problem I found that with the camera mounted on the end of my ski pole it all became quite heavy after a while. Worth it though for the results. This year I have bought a wrist mount, again off amazon. I’m hoping to get similar results with less strain and keep the use of my pole when needed.
ski holidays
galpinos wrote:
will I notice the difference between the 5 and 6?
I don't think so, unless you want to do slo-mo in 4K resolution. Apparently the in-camera stabilisation is better with the new camera, but if that's really important to you it's probably better to buy a 3-axis gimbal which will do a significantly better job of keeping your footage steady.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
galpinos wrote:
will I notice the difference between the 5 and 6?
I don't think so, unless you want to do slo-mo in 4K resolution. Apparently the in-camera stabilisation is better with the new camera, but if that's really important to you it's probably better to buy a 3-axis gimbal which will do a significantly better job of keeping your footage steady.

Chest mounted 3-axis gimbal it is for me then!

Thanks for the feedback, I shall see if the price comes down.......
latest report
galpinos wrote:
Chest mounted 3-axis gimbal it is for me then!.
Feiyu WG2 is a good option for a chest mounted gimbal (you can also mount it on a helmet). You can pick up a new one on eBay for not much more than the difference in price between the GoPro 4 and 5.
snow conditions
Rob@rar, still playing with the 6, some issues reported but mainly on ntsc capture. Can't comment yet on 4k editing as haven't done any myself, only used app for edit's which is pretty good so far in my view and ideally suited for most gopro users who just shoot and post online.

In camera stabilisation on the 6 is pretty darn good, i've got 2 karma grips and for the most part you don't need them imv.

I'm away from home the next couple of days but can try and take some footage, or perhaps attend the sh's ski test to show folks how it looks perhaps.
ski holidays
Anyone have any suggestions for how I can mount a GoPro at the tip of my skis? I've seen solutions before but I have what seems to be a rare problem. My skis are not smooth on top, they have a rough texture. It seems this rules out all suction cups and adhesives. This is shot I've wanted to get but just can't find a solution.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy