Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@Bennyboy1, Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do Believe i just saw people skiing at the sommerberg station in hintertux on their webcam!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, on the last video from today there's a snowcat grooming down at sommerberg. Or what is it doing? Do you think they might prepare for opening lower slopes?

https://streamsrv58.feratel.co.at/streams/1/05551_59f8a0ee-91adVid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTB_freeride.se
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looking at those images and knowing the slope i would say they are a wee bit off yet, couple of gullys need to be filled and a ridge needs some snow, it could be fenced off....saying all that, the snowing coming in this weekend - as much as 1m!! will sort that out so very likely they are consolidating what they have just now in preparation for the snow this weekend with a view to getting some lower stuff open early next week!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could be they are using some snow to build the run out from the Tope little chair that runs from the end of piste 2 back to sommerbergalm. That’s if they want to get piste 2 open. Or as @enduroaid, says above.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They were probably just doing a bit of prep for this weekend’s snowfall so it comes down on at least a bit of a base
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even if theyre not planning on opening more slopes, do you think freeriding down to sommerberg will be managable after the weekend or is the area full of sharks?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@staffsan, Its pretty shark infested and depending on what falls this weekend may still be a bit risky....having said that if you know the piste line and they haven't opened it yet then thats generally a safer option
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
enduroaid wrote:
[Spoiler
b]@staffsan[/b], Its pretty shark infested and depending on what falls this weekend may still be a bit risky....having said that if you know the piste line and they haven't opened it yet then thats generally a safer option

So you reckon skiing down the piste lines will be doable anyway? Will it be permitted tho? NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If its not open don't try it, the slope from the Tuxerfenhaus down towards the Sommerberg ends up in a gully, you then need to take a chair back up to the Sommerberg.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just counting the days until first trip of the season now
Roll on 23rd Dec can’t come soon enough!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know of any apartments in Mayrhofen that have a washing machine in them? Doesn’t matter where it is in the Zillertal even.
The other option is a launderette I think there’s one in Mayrhofen isn’t there? Is there a launderette elsewhere in Kaltenbach, Fügen or wherever?
It would be better if it’s an apartment though or a B&B with an accessible washing machine in the cellar or garage (as opposed to giving the washing to someone else to do)
This isn’t for my trip in Dec by the way I’m finding out now for planning a much longer trip to the Zillertal another time so I will need to do the washing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As soon as there's a chance that the snow is going to stay they start to "piste" it. Compacted snow stays longer and is what they need for a base.

@VolklAttivaS5, There's isn't a laundrette in Fügen (of that, I'm sure). In the rest of Zillertal? I have no idea!
As for an accessible washing machine in a B&B or apartment, I'd email every place that I like the look of and ask them.
In my experience, around here, guesthouse owners are generally helpful, especially if you will be staying for a longer period of time. Oma (grandma) will probably volunteer to wash it all for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, we are renting an apartment in this block over Xmas

http://www.fw-steiner.de/wohnungen

Address is A 6275, Loachweg 18 in Stumm

It has (according to google translate of the docs we got) - In the basement is a washing machine, which can be used for a fee of 3.00 EUR per wash.

I can check it out further when there if its of any interest.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SaraJ thanks for the info.
@ster, ok thanks I will have a look at that

When I’ve looked around online some have washing machines and some don’t or if it does have one it doesn’t mention it.
It’s usually the big apartments that do have them (and therefore too expensive for me). If there’s one I can use myself whenever I want in the basement that’s best instead of someone doing it for me as a favour sort of thing as I’d rather do it myself really. I’m thinking of doing an 8 week trip so it will be pretty often.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, washing machine and tumble dryer

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/postresidenz.en-gb.html
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, thanks, I’d seen that place already on booking.com as that was the first site I’d checked but a 1 bed apartment is £4300 for 1 month let alone 2 months and rather beyond my budget. Thanks anyway though.
Most of the big luxury ones have them naturally but of course they are expensive too.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, there are washing machines and dryers in the main building of the campsite in Mayrhofen, don't know about public use but you could email them
latest report
@enduroaid, thanks
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, sorry I missed the requirement for a long stay.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, no prob Smile
Just an idea at the moment, I’ve got enough ski stuff to last me 3 weeks anyway without doing any washing as I’ve done that in Tignes before. Heavy bag though.

I’ve got 9 weeks off work agreed for 2018/2019 as a special one off as I can’t afford to do a full season for lots of reasons and always wanted to do some kind of long stay ski trip-so this is the max available for now. So it’s a case of either spending 8 weeks in Zillertal, 8 weeks in St Anton/Arlberg, or 2 weeks in Fernie just on an ordinary holiday (always wanted to go to Fernie but not got round to it yet) then come home for a week to get sorted out to then go for 6 weeks in Zillertal or St Anton, or 3 weeks in each as of course there’s only 2 hours or so between Zillertal and St Anton.
Got plenty of time yet as the accommodation providers don’t generally release their prices and availability until at least the end of the previous season and even then they often wait until about Sept to hear back from their regular guests especially at peak times.

So far I’m thinking 2 then 3 then 3.
ski holidays
How weather sensitive is Hintertux? And after this weekends predicted snow, do you think one will be able to find some nice off-piste near the slopes or is still too early? How crevassed is the glacial area?
snow report
Its a glacial area in November. There are crevasses. They will not be that well covered.
ski holidays
If you want some fun in between the pistes there are normally options around Kasere I and II after fresh snow. There are a few hazards there but avoidable.

To the side of Sonnenhang offers more serious options, but also more serious hazards. You will see tracks off Gefrorene Wand (there were plenty even in September), but again I would suggest you would want to know what you were doing before heading off there as you could easily get in trouble.

@SaraJ, probably has some more considered views on this.
ski holidays
I do a lot of op in Mayrhofen, I would never go op above the tuxerfernhaus at Hintertux.
latest report
Quote:

How weather sensitive is Hintertux? And after this weekends predicted snow, do you think one will be able to find some nice off-piste near the slopes or is still too early? How crevassed is the glacial area?

Hmm... Well, there's an interesting question!
As @nozawaonsen, says
Quote:

Its a glacial area in November. There are crevasses.

We were there on Friday. There were crevasses in places where we don't usually see them. If it snows over the next few days, those crevasses will be hidden but will still be there.
If you want to ski off piste on or around a glacier, get a guide.
Depending on how much it snows, there may be possibilities below the Tuxer Fernerhaus. However, there are a lot of rocks, that will, probably, be hidden.
A few years ago, I was skiing with a guy below the Tuxer Fernerhaus in about half a metre of new snow. His skis were stopped by some rocks, he Supermanned and landed hands first on some more rocks. He broke his thumb on one hand and his wrist on the other arm. Luckily, he didn't land on his head!
If you want to make the most of skiing off piste in an area that you don't know, get a guide.
I hope that helps!
ski holidays
Snow and plenty of it right down to the town in Mayrhofen this morning
I’m surprised actually as I thought the forecast was rain for under about 1200m
Clearly not!
Still snowing too I think
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, snowing down to about 600m here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, Very Happy
ski holidays
Do I see some evidence of pisteing/compacting on some of the Zell am Ziller webcams or is it wishful thinking on my part?
latest report
the hof is all white !!!!! excitedface snowHead
latest report
Yes it all looks well snowy
Let's hope it doesn't melt the next few weeks
ski holidays
There's a "farmer's rule" that people talk about around here... I can't remember the actual rhyme but basically it says if there is snow down at valley level (500-600m) before 11th November then the winter will be warm(ish) and wet. If it doesn't snow significantly before that date then the winter will be cold.
At the moment, the snow level here is at about 1200m. I'm hoping it stays there until the 11th!
snow report
Yes I think we had snow down to the valley this time last year didn’t we? And then nothing until Christmas week or just after?
latest report
Just seen elsewhere a photo of snow at Hintertux and it was a tape measure showing 75cm of new snowfall (unless it was measured in some snow drift)
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
There's a "farmer's rule" that people talk about around here... I can't remember the actual rhyme but basically it says if there is snow down at valley level (500-600m) before 11th November then the winter will be warm(ish) and wet. If it doesn't snow significantly before that date then the winter will be cold.
At the moment, the snow level here is at about 1200m. I'm hoping it stays there until the 11th!

Mayrhofen village appears to be covered in snow at the moment and its at 630m?
latest report
Well thats fine then as still above the farmers magic 600m.
snow report
snowcats at it again down at sommerberg in Hintertux. https://streamsrv59.feratel.co.at/streams/1/05551_5a01d844-16a3Vid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTB_freeride.se

Think they might open lower down now? Please say yass!
snow report
@staffsan, they have the beginner slope open I think. Nothing else yet that low down.
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/saisonstart/

It would appear that with all this early snow...and more in the forecast that most of the zillertal resorts are announcing early opening this year...2nd of December for most.

don't know the records for the other resorts by I know Mayrhofen usually hold off until the Rise and Fall festival (16th of Dec) before opening the rest of the lifts
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy