Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, how were the conditions after yesterday’s wind?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@rob@rar, how were the conditions after yesterday’s wind?
Skied around Eggalmbahn area today, mostly in poor visibility (which became no visibility in late afternoon). At that altitude the main sign of the wind was the amount of tree debris (mostly small) scattered across the piste, didn't venture off-piste but it looked thin and probably a bit crusty. The snow was fairly icy in lots of places as a result of yesterday's rain freezing overnight. Made skiing 'interesting' especially when my Trainer put the hammer down and expected us to find big angles in low viz and crunchy snow.

For on piste conditions the damage from yesterday will be temporary, as it's a nice solid base for the next snow to fall on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems like there's been another nice dusting of snow overnight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Benji!, welcome to SH.

It does look nice doesn’t it! Another couple of weeks for me before I can return...

@rob@rar, thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, what are you doing in Tux this week?
Have you still needed your face mask on?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@rob@rar, what are you doing in Tux this week?
Have you still needed your face mask on?
I'm on a training week.

It was cold and sunny today, although not cold enough for a face mask. Maybe 15cm of fresh snow overnight meant pistes were rather nice, but needed care if you were skiing quick as the snow was soft and could collapse underneath you. Snow was cold and light, so the off-piste and the near-piste variable snow was very enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, good to know
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is ski route 30 open then what with all this snow?
Going to Mayrhofen this Sat so I want to know if I can finally ski it for the first time!
What’s it like anyone?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It doesn’t look open on the piste map.

https://winter.intermaps.com/zillertal_3000?lang=en
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bennyboy1, when I clicked on that link it doesn’t even seem to label that route as closed either though? Unless it’s my browser on IPhone
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You need to choose from the menu on the left to show status of runs
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bennyboy1, thanks I’ve seen now I opened it in another browser as it wasn’t working properly earlier on

Seems strange it’s closed. Snow cover should be brill I’d have thought
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are a few runs in the valley like that. The black 45 from top of Katzenmoos lift always seems to be closed when I am visiting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, hmmm yes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has been sunny with blue skies the last 2 days but not too warm either. Snow is in excellent condition. I have been deafened by the squeaks and creaks of cold snow 😉
Yesterday I skied in Mayrhofen and today I went up to Hintertux.
Saw the stretchers and the helicopter out a few times in Mayrhofen.
Hintertux today was much quieter, at times I was the only person on the piste which was great for practising long turns.

Run of the day was the ski route 1A right down to the bottom station popping out by the Rindererhof hotel.
snow conditions
Skied over in Kaltenbach today and some of Hochfugen. Another bright sunny day with excellent snow cover throughout the area but quite a lot colder than the previous couple of days as the wind had picked up somewhat.
The wind had been scouring the pistes so it was starting to get a bit icy in places. I thought the snow was nicer to the side of the piste than actually on it this afternoon.
I wasn’t able to ski the ski route down to Aschau last Christmas as it was closed due to lack of snow but this time there is full coverage from start to finish. It was just like a piste today with no bumps on it either like there has been before when I’ve been down it.
snow report
Quote:

it was starting to get a bit icy in places.

Don't worry Smile the forecast says more snow is coming in the next few days. Very Happy
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks for the update. Getting super excited now as flying out on Saturday. Will be slightly limited with away days from Mayrhofen due to kids being in ski school but plan to get down there for at least a day.
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

it was starting to get a bit icy in places.

Don't worry Smile the forecast says more snow is coming in the next few days. Very Happy

Indeed there is!
snow conditions
I was going to go to Zell am Ziller yesterday but after seeing the higher lifts were closed (due to high winds) so I couldn’t get over the other side anyway, I carried on to Fugen instead, got off the train there, caught the ski bus to the Spieljochbahn and had a ski around there as I’d never been over there before.
Nice snow there and it was down out of the wind too.
After that I skied down to the Geols Panoramabahn got the ski bus to Hochfugen and skied around there for a while, again nice snow out of the wind. Run of the day was black no 3 down to the bottom of there. The weather was closing in when I was heading back over to Kaltenbach with some strong winds and it was lightly snowing.
I don’t think it has stopped snowing all night!
So we shall see what today brings!
ski holidays
It snowed down to Kaltenbach itself last night and still snowing this morning.
latest report
Best day of the week so far Very Happy
Loads and loads of snow, anyone coming out next week will be in for a treat as there’s plenty of base down now to last for ages even without artificial snow making to add to it.
It basically snowed all day up on the mountain in Mayrhofen, no or little wind too. All very enjoyable, lots of soft snow bumps everywhere, even the blue pistes were a little bit bumped up, it was really fun.
It is forecast to be sunny I believe for my last day tomorrow.
snow report
Friday was indeed a very sunny clear crisp day with lots of fresh snow underfoot. It was cold (-12 in Gerlos at 5.30pm, about -5 ish during the day) so the snow stayed really nice and light and I got my first powder turns in of the season over and over again.
Went to Zell am Ziller on the train and bus then skied over to Gerlos and Konigsleiten catching the last bus back to Mayrhofen from there at 5.10pm. It was mighty cold at the bus stop that’s for sure, I had 2 pairs of thin gloves on and mittens over the top and could still feel it biting through.
In 12 years of skiing a fair few weeks a season I don’t think I’ve seen a ski area so well covered with snow from top to bottom, no stones, no rocks showing anywhere, snow right down to the Zillertal towns at 500/600m.
It was a real treat. Glad to say that I shall be off again on 13th Jan with conditions as good as these.
ski holidays
Been here for two days now and it has been very varied weather and piste conditions.

Yesterday was warm with typical hard icy morning pistes and softer skiable afternoon conditions. No slush. Recent new snow seemed to have suffered a bit but snow cover was still amazing. Quite a few people getting caught out by patches of ice.

Woke up this morning and wanted to get out early before the New Years revellers got out of bed. It was amazing. It was snowing lightly in the village but snowing quite hard on the mountain. We went straight over to the Tux150 with completely empty pistes, new snow made the run down really nice.

By the time we got on the Tux box there was probably 10 people in the lift with us. From the top we skied all the way down to the bottom of Eggalm and then took the lift up to the top before skiing down to the the Rastkogel gondala. There was probably between 5-10cm of new snow on top of the the prepared pistes.

Wind at the top was quite strong so a lot of new snow was carried off or to edge of piste.

By the time we got back up the hordes had woken and all the new snow on piste was skied out. But conditions were excellent all day. Fab days skiing!

Tomorrow is supposed to be reasonable before wind and snow arrive again on Wednesday.

Think we will try somewhere else in the valley tomorrow.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, go over to Zell/Gerlos/Konigsleiten tomorrow then before the wind starts up on Wednesday as I noticed the links are often closed when it’s windy to get from Zell to Gerlos, whereas in HochZillertal things were still open in the wind. It might be because in HochZillertal the link over to HochFugen is a gondola whereas to get over to Gerlos from Zell you need a sequence of chairs.
The snow was brill all over the Arena on Friday especially in Konigsleiten and you can get a bus back to Mayrhofen from Konigsleiten as well
(takes an hour mind but it means you don’t have to rush to catch chair lifts)
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, I have skied the Zell side a few times but never managed to get over to Gerlos due to the kids. Tomorrow though it’s just adults so worth trying. Is the skiing worthwhile? How long does it take on the lifts returning back to the Zell side?
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, definitely worth going over if it’s just adults then tomorrow!
Oodles of skiing! It’s all very similar to the Zell side but more extensive as the Zell side is just a small fraction of the Arena itself.
Not sure to be honest re timings as all depends on lift queues and as it’s just me (no kids) I don’t have to plan ahead as much, I just make sure I don’t miss the last lift sort of thing.
You can get a bus back to Mayrhofen from Gerlos as well though as the Konigsleiten bus stops there throughout the day. Again I don’t have to be back by a certain time or anything.
I use the VVT app for the bus and train timings, it’s great.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks for suggesting to head over to Konigsleiten. It was well worth it. It started snowing as we made up way up from Zell and snowed all day. Pistes were excellent but it was very windy and made the visibility poor as fresh snow was blown around. Full day skiing in powdery conditions and then the long valley run down to Zell. Love that run! It gets harder and harder as you go. By the bottom the bumps were impressive! Beer well deserved.

Today has been quite warm and very windy. Rastkogel lifts closed by 11am and we have just had all the other lifts close (3pm). Huge amount of snow from lunch time onwards andots more coming down on the Penken now.

Just changed my rental skis for something a bit more powder friendly Very Happy

Sent from my iPhone
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, great!! Glad you enjoyed it
Yes I love the Sportabfahrt run too, no 18 isn’t it?

If you get chance another place worth visiting for future is Hochkrimml, one week I was skiing fresh tracks in knee deep powder along the blues either side of the Plattenkogel Xpress 2 lift! Bit further away means nice and quiet!
ski holidays
Are all the above from Zell/Gerlos/Konigsleiten down on this thread all available/accessible from Mayrhofen on the lift pass or are separate ones required?
ski holidays
Yes. You can only get the Zillertal Superskipass when you buy a pass for 2 days or more.
snow report
Thanks a lot
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes run 18. It’s a really wonderful run. Starts as an easy red and progressively gets tougher until it’s a pretty steep black. I have no idea of the length 5-6km?
ski holidays
Today we stayed in the Penken/Horberg bowl. It has been snowing for nearly 48 hours. Pistes were deep with new snow but got some big bumps as the day progressed. Harikiri was stupidly easy due to 50cm of fresh snow.

It was easy to find fresh tracks all day but you needed to stay in the tree line as visibility was poor.

It’s due to snow until around midnight. Tomorrow might be sunny so may ditch the skis for my board!
latest report

snow report
You can see from the top of the hut how much snow has landed in the last day+

Toofy Grin
snow report
@Bennyboy1, great!
snow conditions
So yesterday wasn’t the blue bird powder day expected. There had been heavy rain over night, then heavy frost. So ice, powder then more ice.

One the heavy crust melted the snow on the side of the piste was skiable but with evidence of avalanches on some faces it wasn’t a day for exploring.

You can see the damage from the rain on the pic. Must have been rivers of water coming down the faces. This was taken over at Eggalm in the draglift.

latest report
Oh sorry it wasn’t so good
Wow, that pic, I’ve never seen that before it must have been some kind of rain!
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, I have no complaints. It was a quality week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy