Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weight of your skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious. How much do your skis weigh together with bindings?
Starting with mine: 5.0kg
Blizzard Power RC Carbon 172
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why does it matter? In use, they are usually on the ground.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, matters when you are cramming it all into 1 bag. In this context not so much. Mine? No idea.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, ah. Point. Maybe, maybe not, ages since I had to think about that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, same here...largely. i usually just book business class one way on BA or travel Swiss or Lufthansa which means i get ski carriage included if i need to take skis...usually 1 trip a year...i don't always want to go to Flachau (i have kit.. except boots.. in Flachau and the UK)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No idea, but it certainly matters to me as my board bag, which contains skis, assorted clothes and other stuff has to come in at <23kg to avoid ski carriage with BA (I travel Economy). Also weight matters to me when I'm carrying them; used to have a pair of Heads plus can't remember which bindings, which I could hardly lift on to my shoulder. Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be fair it also seems to matter to the touring purists who want to shave every gram off.

Makes me laugh that you have manufacturers competing on things like tech bindings for who can make the lightest ones... people launching revolutionary new products to shave 5 grams off last year's model. Then you put a 30 gram chocolate bar in your bag and the whole thing is funked up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The weights of many skis and binding can be found on the Evo website (US Shop). Pretty much every alpine ski is between 3kg and 5kg a pair without bindings, and the bindings are 1.5kg to 3kg a pair. Race plates etc can add a fair bit as well.

https://www.evo.com/guides/alpine-and-backcountry-ski-weights

https://www.evo.com/guides/alpine-and-backcountry-ski-binding-weights
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dp, my understandng there is that it’s not just the weight but where it is that matters. 30g in your back pack when you and it already weigh, say, 85kgs is trivial, but those 5g on your feet when you’re climing and lifting and lowering them every step makes a big difference, especially when racing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, Just wear ankle weights all day for the rest of the year, ideal training Toofy Grin

Reminds me of lardie back bottoms buying the latest lightest road bike, but being 2-3+ stone over weight Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, if you're travelling BA Business do you need to tell them in advance that you're bringing skis or do they just go in as one of your bags?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know my ski bag (two pairs of skis padded out with clothing etc) weighs in at 29kg, just barely under the limit
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Valkyrie wrote:
@holidayloverxx, if you're travelling BA Business do you need to tell them in advance that you're bringing skis or do they just go in as one of your bags?

Dont need to tell them in cattle class. Just turn up with it. Cant see why Business would be any different.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Valkyrie, just turn up. You get 2 bags... they dont care what is in them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
Reminds me of lardie back bottoms buying the latest lightest road bike, but being 2-3+ stone over weight Very Happy

Yeah you get it in motorsport too, people spending huge sums of money to lighten their car (or having the bare minimum of fuel) when they'd save double the weight by just going on a diet and taking up jogging.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude personally I think that burgers are a perfectly good reason to spend huge sums of money on lightening a car.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude, I know, and agree - at least personally I'm well within weight limits Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@dp, for most amateurs it doesn't make the difference. I still have the burgers and beer, and we hardly spend anything on the car Very Happy
ski holidays
with you at the wheel I bet you don't need to spend a penny on generating downforce Very Happy
snow report
@dp, Very Happy Yep, there's a reason that I accelerate quicker than the old man, got a lot more weight over the driving wheels!
ski holidays
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/76416-The-Official-Ski-Weight-Thread
snow report
I’ve just weighed my blizzard Latigo’s with knee bindings (mist) and my head imagnum (non graphine) and they both come out at 6.2kg but I don’t believe it as the blizzards feel considerably heavier to carry.

I’ve tried skis on their own, me holding them and then the wife holding them and all but one time they were the same, when they differed we tried again and then they were the same. I don’t believe it so the next step is take both pairs to Boots and use their scales instead Toofy Grin

What was interesting was comparing the binding location compared to the contact points. The head is noticeably different. Now I know why I’m in the backseat Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy