Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK expats applying for EU citizenship

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe of interest

Austria Ex Pats

http://www.frombrexittoexbrit.com/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 9-10-17 16:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or not 😂
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More drivel then?
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Thesixquidman,

Why is it drivel?

I believe there are quite a few UK ExPats on this Forum who live in Austria. The naturalization process (from the blog link) maybe useful for them.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's from you. Nobody's interested.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Thesixquidman, 287 views in less than 24hours.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
@Thesixquidman, 287 views in less than 24hours.

Just to see what cr@p you're posting today snowHead
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Info for UK Expats in Austria seeking Austrian Citizenship.

http://www.frombrexittoexbrit.com/
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds interesting to me.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I found it interesting and i am not even an ex pat in austria!
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone considering applying for a second citizenship, regardless of whether it's for Austria or some other country, should never rely on information that is simply just another blog post. If you are considering acquisition of another citizenship, you absolutely must do your own due diligence. Each person is unique with their own particular set of circumstances. Critical issues to be considered prior to ever naturalising include but are not limited to: whether there will be any detrimental impact to the existing nationalities you hold; what will happen to any family members who aren't EEA nationals and accordingly are dependent on your right to live somewhere under EU law; potential tax implications. When considering the tax position, do not be comforted by the existence of any double taxation treaties. People often only consider income tax and capital gains but completely forget about inheritance tax.

A number of EEA nationals who do consider the above in full, proceed to only obtain confirmation of their acquisition of permanent residence and stop there. Acquiring another nationality is not the answer for everyone and should not be done lightly.

Ok, I'm going to get off my high horse now...the view is dizzying.
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skidipity wrote:
Acquiring another nationality is not the answer for everyone and should not be done lightly.

Good advice.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skidipity wrote:
When considering the tax position, do not be comforted by the existence of any double taxation treaties. People often only consider income tax and capital gains but completely forget about inheritance tax.

If you have anything to offer on the subject of French/UK nationality, please do share - I'm about to take mine and ran these scenarios (including IHT) by our French accountants and the answer was, we will be treated as we are now (i.e. tax residents in one country or that other, irrespective of passports). Which was what I was expecting to hear (have had friends grappling with the question of whether to give up dual US citizenship when the tax laws changed recently). Very open to learning about pitfalls before signing on the dotted line!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @davidof.

Sorry @Hand Wringer, I'm not a tax adviser. Are you British and naturalising as French or vice versa?
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skidipity, British citizen, French tax resident, and getting dual UK/French citizenship.

Phew - glad you are not a tax adviser as your post worried me but on that basis will continue to act according to what our French accountants have told us!
ski holidays     
@Hand Wringer, apologies, didn't mean to worry you. Although my comments don't apply to you as you've already done your homework! At the EoSB, I spoke to one of the ski instructors who's a Brit with family, all living in France. They were going through the naturalisation process and I gather it's far from easy or straightforward. Bon chance with it all.

By the way, does anyone know why this topic is posted under The Piste as it doesn't have anything at all to do with skiing? Despite my opinion that the blog is dangerously limited in scope, the topic itself should be moved to a more appropriate place.
snow report     
skidipity wrote:
At the EoSB, I spoke to one of the ski instructors who's a Brit with family, all living in France. They were going through the naturalisation process and I gather it's far from easy or straightforward. Bon chance with it all.

That would be an understatement
snow conditions     
oh really?! Ha, well maybe it won't work out for us then! Will update if it turns out to be a nightmare (or any more of a nightmare than you'd expect if you've lived in France for any amount of time). We are still early stages I suppose (i.e. got the officially translated family marriage/birth certificates and got the official stamp to say we have the language skills).
latest report     
Hand Wringer wrote:
and got the official stamp to say we have the language skills).

You mean you took a test?
latest report     
Yes we took a (not particularly difficult) test - this thread is worrying me now...
snow report     
Hand Wringer wrote:
Yes we took a (not particularly difficult) test - this thread is worrying me now...

What the Austrian guy said about Austria applies to France. Every case is different and how things are handled varies across the departments and prefectures. Which department are you in?
ski holidays     
Many (not all) EU countrs require you to give up your old Nationalality i.e No Dual Nationality.

I think its just an emotional thing. Its only paperwork.

What does it matter if you change from British to German, French , Dutch or whatever & vica versa everyone is the same as a human its just the future you differently.

I think there is something quite exciting about switching Nationalities in one lifetime even two or three times.

Its a bit boring staying the same all the time ??
latest report     
@davidof, 73.... have a sinking feeling you're going to tell me it's one of the worst! Any tips and hints gratefully received... already anticipating a problem as my mum can't find my dad's birth certificate and as he was born in Burma it doesn't seem to be possible to get a copy.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. We had considered going for it because we thought we only had one more UK GE we were eligible to vote in (before the snap election was called) and it was quite frustrating not being able to vote in the Presidential election, then what with Brexit, getting an EU passport seemed like a good idea (though not sure I would go for one that would make me relinquish UK nationality). It's not something I would allow to became a major stress factor in life - too many of those to deal with already!
latest report     
Passports of the world ranked by their total visa-free score. Which passport is ranked 1st. Which is weakest.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
latest report     
Will follow this thread with interest - as the blog's author. I'm a long-term Brit in Austria, and the motivation is also to help others, who are weighing up the decision. Austria does not allow dual citizenship - the post on the primer about the Citizenship Act on the blog (http://www.frombrexittoexbrit.com/2017/04/04/staatsburgerschaftsgesetz-1985-a-quick-primer-for-those-looking-to-take-austrian-citizenship/) is intended to break through the legalese of the Citizenship Act (for which there is no English translation). B1 or B2 German, while being enough for citizenship terms might not be enough to understand the letter of the law.

I also wanted to debunk the "revoke and regain" myth that circulates - check out: http://www.frombrexittoexbrit.com/faqs/

I also help to run www.vienna-expats.at - we aim to help people living in Austria with their questions over bureaucracy etc.
ski holidays     
Hand Wringer wrote:
@davidof, 73.... have a sinking feeling you're going to tell me it's one of the worst!

Did you get an appointment with the Addcaes in Chambery yet? The Savoie depends on the Grenoble/Isere prefecture for naturalisations. It is not the best as there is a huge immigrant community in Grenoble and you are just another name in the queue. I don't know anything about the Addcaes other than they are a gatekeeper to access the prefecture. You'll have to let us know. In the best case they will help you with your dossier. For information waiting times I've heard of have been around 14 months in Lyon from application to getting a carte d'identité (a Romanian lady told me 7 months for her in Lyon but that was a few years ago) to 3 years in other areas.

Assuming you have the number of years residence and your tax affairs are in order there shouldn't really be a problem if your dossier is correct but you need to crack on as your language test is only valid for 2 years I think.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-10-17 10:48; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions     
Interesting to hear that Austria does not allow dual citizenship. This is not the case for EU residents in Germany. However I'm not sure what is going to happen after Brexit. Will dual citizens be forced to give up one of their citizenships?
ski holidays     
brexittoexbritAT wrote:

I also wanted to debunk the "revoke and regain" myth that circulates - check out: http://www.frombrexittoexbrit.com/faqs/

Yes, that's interesting, as is Steilhang's question about German citizenship.

For French citizenship there is no issue with being a dual national. They even had senior ministers who held dual nationality in the previous government.
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steilhang, From my understanding of the German Citizenship Laws, currently they allow/tolerate dual predominantly for other EU nationalities. I know someone who did it to be able to become a Beamte at an authority. If you have the chance to take German, get in now, as when the UK becomes a Third Country, the process might not be so straight forward. My wife has taken Austrian citizenship and as a third country citizen it has taken three years to come through (exactly why she wanted Austrian citizenship giving the other bureaucratic hurdles she has. I'm about to apply (I had the info appointment and am gathering for the application appointment - just to hint at the current waiting time, I had the Info-Termin in April and the earliest application appointment was at the end of October...
snow report     
skidipity wrote:
Anyone considering applying for a second citizenship, regardless of whether it's for Austria or some other country, should never rely on information that is simply just another blog post.

Acquiring another nationality is not the answer for everyone and should not be done lightly.

Ok, I'm going to get off my high horse now...the view is dizzying.

skidipity - Appreciate the blog might be tl;dr for some - but just to inform you:

1) Austria does not permit double - bar exceptional circumstances (as clarified in the blog posts). I would agree that a blog does not act as a substitute to seeking advice from a lawyer (fortunately work assists with this in my case).
2) I also state that changing citizenship might not be the solution for all.
ski holidays     
@brexittoexbritAT, welcome to snowHeads. By all means "Will follow this thread with interest..."
...but be aware @stanton, is one of the forums (few) resident trolls. He regularly post links that are either total b0ll0cks or he's totally misinterpreted or twised them into total b0ll0cks...and 99% ofthe time they're anti-UK. Many of the replys might be influenced by that. This might be part of the remaining 1% but even if it is useful it was probably not intended to be by [b]@stantroll/b], (he'll deny that of course).
ski holidays     
@brexittoexbritAT, thanks for coming here. I found your blog through an expats Swiss site
snow conditions     
If you take up Dutch Citizenshp you have to give up your previous nationality unless it against the law like in some Islamic Countrys
ski holidays     
@adithorp, Nonsense- I just post alternative views that you may or frequently do not want to hear.

I started an informative/helpful post here & your already going off topic & ruining it.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-10-17 13:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays     
And @stanton, in denial again.
ski holidays     
@adithorp, to be fair to stanton, he does from time to time post something useful. It's just unfortunate that the signal/noise ratio is as low as it is.
snow conditions     
But in this case

stanton wrote:
If you take up Dutch Citizenshp you have to give up your previous nationality unless it against the law like in some Islamic Countrys

It's bollock$. My daughter's Dutch passport arrived last week and she didn't give up her British nationality.
latest report     
@Steilhang, agreed but the "signal/noise ratio is so low it's difficult to believe it was intentional.
ski holidays     
DJL wrote:
But in this case

stanton wrote:

It's bollock$. My daughter's Dutch passport arrived last week and she didn't give up her British nationality.

not so fast:-

Since 1 April 2003, following an amendment to the Netherlands Nationality Act of 1985, Dutch subjects with dual nationality will lose their Dutch citizenship if they hold a foreign citizenship and reside outside the Kingdom of the Netherlands or the European Union for ten years.

but https://www.government.nl/topics/dutch-nationality/dual-nationality

The Dutch government wants to limit dual nationality as much as possible. If you have only one nationality, it will be clear what your rights are. That is why people who want to acquire Dutch nationality through naturalisation are, as a rule, required to give up their other nationality if possible. This is called the renunciation requirement.
ski holidays     
Which European countries allow dual citizenship?

In general terms those permitting dual nationality are :
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Republic of Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany ( but only with other EU countries )
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Luxembourg
Malta
Portugal
Romania
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden