Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Was hoping for a top-up before arrival on the 24th - GFS has been playing around with a small top-up around 17th-18th but it looks more like a sprinkling now. South side of the alps look pretty dry over the next 10 days. However it seems like the snow conditions are currently good according to the above posts, so hopefully it will stay good!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied Tofana side in Cortina today, very cold first thing -12C, warmed up somewhat as the day progressed in the slightly hazy sunshine. Pistes were in excellent condition with a top layer of grippy snow which made the blacks of the Tofana Schuss and Forcella Rossa a lot easier. Some of the lowest runs down in the forest were a bit hard-packed. Fairly busy around Roncato with ski schools in the morning, but never waited more than a few mins. Thinned out as you moved around the area. By mid-afternoon there were no queues and big gaps on chairs. Not bad considering it is the second busiest week of the season across the Alps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
northantsred wrote:
This string really works better with photos added!

Very Happy

Are you sure !?

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northantsred wrote:
This string really works better with photos added!

Very Happy

Your wish is my command!

Cortina today...slight queue building on Pomedes Chair with Tofana Schuss behind (Click on images to open large size)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-02-18 20:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking back up the Tofana Schuss after I did it

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crowds thinned out by the afternoon up at the top chair in Ra Valles:

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lovely weather today. Very sunny but a bit too warm for the lower slopes with bare patches starting to appear on some of the south facing bits of mountain (not the ski slopes which are all fine if becoming quite cut up in the afternoons).

Bergfex is Currently forecasting 20cms of snow for tomorrow which should provide a very nice top up for anyone coming out for next week.

Despite it being half term and carnival this week it really hasn’t been too bad. I guess there are just so many pistes that it’s quite easy to avoid the crowds.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well that forecast for snow didn’t last very long. The forecast for tomorrow looks all quiet again. I’m sure I didn’t imagine it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ARPAV suggesting 4-6cm snow at Arabba for tonight/tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GFS showing a decent snowfall event for Cortina on March 2nd/3rd. Long way out, but has to start somewhere snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@musehead, Without sounding selfish I hope there is some snow this coming week. I know the pistes will be fine for us coming out on the 24th but I still hope to not see too many brown patches..
Ok that does sound selfish if you're out there for this week, but I cant help it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arrived in San Cassiano this afternoon. Got up before 3am, arrived just after 3pm. Early night tonight, I think. Started snowing over an hour ago. It’s just cold enough to stick here but far from perishing. I didn’t even bother with my hat on the way back from the supermarket. There’s easily 2 foot on the roof by the balcony and there was lots of old snow as soon as we hit the mountains.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FrequentFaller wrote:
@musehead, Without sounding selfish I hope there is some snow this coming week. I know the pistes will be fine for us coming out on the 24th but I still hope to not see too many brown patches..
Ok that does sound selfish if you're out there for this week, but I cant help it.

Nothing selfish about hoping for snow. Sunshine, meh, it's overrated.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
olderscot wrote:

Despite it being half term and carnival this week it really hasn’t been too bad. I guess there are just so many pistes that it’s quite easy to avoid the crowds.

Generally my experience too. I was expecting heavy traffic but apart from the usual spots on the Sella (viz. the short chair lift at Colfosco on the anti-clockwise route) there was nothing too bad. Alta Badia was pretty quiet. Seiseralm was rather more crowded than usual though - perhaps it’s becoming more popular although not with the British whose voices were still very seldom heard.
Our group thought the snow quality in the region was the best we could remember for ages - really grippy. Those going out there soon should have a great time!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A distinct improvement of posts!!!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Skied round this little bit of Alta Badia today. Had a bit too big a cake stop mid morning so could only manage a light lunch. The rest of the family had lessons this afternoon so I got to try out some reds and blacks too. Both 17 red and black into La Villa were a touch firm in places. The Black was really quiet but the red was busy with people going very slowly, which probably made it the more challenging. Red 12 into SC was much better, in truly fabulous condition between 3 and 4 pm when I did it (twice). All the blues were in great shape except the steep bit of 28 which had little bumps. All the local runs are open including 10 and 11. 13, 11 and 9 are all in great shape, haven’t done 10 yet. It was a bit cloudy today and there was 3-4 inches of snow last night so all the trees are covered in snow still. Forecast is for a bit of sunshine tomorrow! Going to open the Lagavulin now Smile
snow conditions
Internet was patchy at hotel, every time I went to upload, it was down. So some belated photos from last 3 days.

Friday 16th, was very cold & clear first thing, but sun warmed it up and just got warmer and warmer. Went up to Rio Gere and skied the sunny Cristallo side first. Red 73 looked glorious a huge sweeper through the Dolomitic towers:

(I tried image rotation, but it doesn't seem to work on here. If you click the image it will open the Snowmediazone where it displays with the correct orientation.)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 19-02-18 6:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Red 73 looking down it:

(Next ones are landscape, so no rotation issues, sorry!)
snow report
Pistes started to soften a lot in the sun, so moved over to N-facing Faloria side where the sun had got high enough to light up the pistes.

Looking across to Tofana from Faloria:

snow report
Did you want to buy a Salami at 2100m?? Toofy Grin

I'm assuming it's the Salami company and not the handgun manufacturer of the same name!!! Shocked
snow conditions
For the last hour or so on Friday, scooted up to the Col de Varda area next to the frozen lake of Misurina, somewhere I've always wanted to try. Just one chair up with a 400m vertical, but some very pleasing N-Facing variants down that just catch the sun at the end of the day. Whoever laid the pistes down here knew what he was doing.

snow conditions
Saturday 17th, headed up to Piculin to do the Kronplatz area. Sun was in short supply, but vis was good. The previous warm day seemed to have taken its toll on any S-facing pistes which were hard and not softening much. Anything N-facing was in good nick including this run down from Piz de Plaies to San Vigilio:

Crowds gather at the top of the Kronplatz mountain, where an impressive amount of lifts end with many runs fanning off in nearly every direction down the dome-shaped mountain, many with a 1400m vertical. The quality of the lifts here is very impressive.

latest report
@luigi, Looking good.

Can't wait...
latest report
It snowed Saturday night. I cleared about 12cm off the car in Cortina on Sunday morning. Roads were clear, so the plan to travel north to the 3 Peaks/Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime area was still on. Approaching the lift base at Vierschach, which is just 2 miles short of the border with Austria, it didn't look as if they had more than a dusting.

Never mind, it's an impressive area, Good long verticals of the Helm mountain. Same theme as Kronplatz, anything N-facing was superb. S-facing had annoying crusty bits and wasn't softening much due to lack of sun.

We did the 3Peaks tour (Giro delle Cime) across the Kreuzberg Pass to Padola. Some of the linking runs were roads that were a bit flat in places and required some poling. The Salto bus worked well, but it will be a whole lot better if they build the linking lifts and cut some wider pistes.

This was Padola yesterday:

Black 11a from Stiergarten down to Sexten, looking over at Moos village and the Sexten Dolomites beyond:

The sun finally peeped through the clouds back in Vierschach at the end of the day:

ski holidays
@luigi, sounds great. You’ve inspired me to try some of these areas next time!
snow report
Driving south from Cortina would also present me with the opportunity of hearing yet another language of this fascinating region - Cimbrian!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_language
ski holidays
Might turn extremly cold from mid next week. Cold air from Eastern Europe sending the temps down below - 20....
latest report
@Woosh, where did you see that?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
@FrequentFaller, I work with weather so it shows in the last European models and also the American model. The reason behind it is sudden strathospheric warming, moving cold air from the east over the continent. Might even last for a while. I am heading down next Friday so packing a lot of wool...
ski holidays
Woosh wrote:
Might turn extremly cold from mid next week. Cold air from Eastern Europe sending the temps down below - 20....

Colder air could start arriving in Eastern Austria as early as this Saturday and then move into the Dolomites by Saturday evening!!
latest report
I'm set to arrive on Saturday so I will also make sure I've got enough warm kit..
snow report
@luigi, that's what i'm talking about . . . .
ski holidays
Decent snow event still on for Cortina in early March in Gfs.
snow report

Lovely and sunny this morning, clouded over a bit in the afternoon but a fantastic days skiing. This is from Piz la Ila at about 1030.
snow report

Looking over to Arabba from Bec De Rosses about 12
ski holidays

From the top of Biok after lunch. Lots of snow on the Alta Badia plateau. Did 10 back to SC and it was in great condition. Then we did the sledge run, missus terrified again by the end and couldn’t be persuaded to do it again. Children loved it,of course.
ski holidays
Just looked on Bergfex this morning and I saw that it could potentially get as low as -27 on the mountain next Tuesday! I'm hoping that's a miss print coz I ain't never been in temperatures as low as that, let alone skied in them..
ski holidays
I think it is pretty certain that midweek next week will be extremly cold. The uncertainty is how long it will last..
ski holidays
Woosh wrote:
I think it is pretty certain that midweek next week will be extremly cold. The uncertainty is how long it will last..

Hopefully until 25th March wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy