Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
ARPAV are saying that the snow will ease off from the W during today, hanging on longest in the E. Very cold and possibly another 5-15cm accumulation at altitude by the end of the day.

For Saturday, further lifting of the weather, but cloudy with maybe some further snow showers in the morning, maybe some sunny spells by the afternoon. Still very cold.

For Sunday, starts off sunny & cold, but cloud forms during the day. By the end of the day possibly some light snow showers.

For Monday, mostly cloudy, chance of more scattered light snow showers. Still cold.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

It seems Winter has not gone away yet!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It feels based on previous experience that there’s more than enough snow for people going out in 3 weeks even if it doesn’t snow again, especially if it remains cold
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon wrote:
It feels based on previous experience that there’s more than enough snow for people going out in 3 weeks even if it doesn’t snow again, especially if it remains cold

GFS squigglies suggest short & medium term cold temps, with a possible warming around the 15th Feb.

After the current snowy spell bad plays itself out, the chance of more snow around the middle of the week.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arabba claimed 30-45cm yesterday morning from Thurs night's snowfall and added another 15-25cm on today's report according to Bergfex.

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/schneebericht/

Great news for the snowHeads arriving for the BB!! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi wrote:
Penry wrote:
@luigi, I remembered why I found it, you can get there by train. It's got a lot of ski in/out too.

Yes, the Pustertal train links the base stations at Vierschach for the 3Peaks and Percha for Kronplatz as well as the local towns Bruneck, Toblach & Innichen:

http://www.skipustertal.com/en/

No need to hire a car at all, as the railway links up with the main line at Franzensfeste for Innsbruck.

http://www.tt.com/wirtschaft/standorttirol/13651194-91/gründe-für-die-skischaukel-sillian-sexten-sind-gesichert.csp apologies for the link not working. Hopefully the real ones will work better. .

suggests that there's going to be a link to Sillian across the Austrian border. You can do it by the train now but need a different ski pass, I assume a link would remove that extra cost.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back yesterday from a fantastic week based in Canazei. Lost for words really!

Absolutely amazing area. I cannot believe the value from the lift pass, the sheer number of resorts and lifts covered and the investment in the lift infrastructure.

We had 4 days of glorious sunshine and Spring conditions and then 2 days of snow. It was great.

The snowmaking is fantastic, I have never seen so many cannons anywhere else before.

Thanks for all the advice given previously.

We managed to do the Sella Ronda Orange route one day. On another day we then did that again part way to get to to Ortisei to take in the 10km James Bond route and then came back on the Green route.

One thing I'd say about the Sella Ronda routes is that there are some challenging runs in parts and I would be very hesitant in taking an early intermediate or cautious skier around. It seemed to be a busy week (we later discovered that it was an Austrian holiday) and we encountered queues and bottlenecks and due to the volume of traffic and the conditions some slopes were very heavily mogulled and absolutely littered with bodies.

We then decided to make use of the lift pass and we ventured further afield and went up to the smaller quieter areas of Alpe Lusia which dropped over to Bellamonte in the Val di Fiemme and also up to San Pellegrino where the snow was excellent and the slopes deserted. Both of these areas are good to escape the crowds.

We also skied in the local areas to us Alba and Pozza which were especially good for the tree lined runs in the snow at the end of the week.

Absolutely fantastic week. Probably the best week's skiing I have had in a long time. Will definitely be going back snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sarah, glad it all worked out!

Canazei & the resorts of Val di Fassa are a good spot as you can access the Sella Ronda circuit and its many off-shoots and also explore the smaller, quieter areas along the valley. Passo San Pellegrino/Falcade/TreValli is great area, it only gets busy at weekends with Italian daytrippers. Weekdays you practically have it to yourself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@luigi, thank you Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All the forecasts are suggesting snow midweek for the Dolomites. It also looks like pretty cold temps and a fair bit of cloud otherwise this week sadly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's almost as if the sun gods know half term is coming Smile

Courtesy of bergfex:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a large degree of variation on forecasted snow amounts for Tues/Wed.

For town level at Arabba:

Bergfex: 2cm
ARPAV: 15cm
Snow-forecast: 33cm
Wepowder: 50cm
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wall-to-wall sunshine would suit me for half-term week!! Cool

Meanwhile, today ARPAV are saying 10-20cm for late Tues into Wed for the Venetian Dolomites with rain-snow line hovering between 600-1000m, so most resorts should see snow. Heavier snow (25-30cm) in the Venetian Pre-Alps.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musehead wrote:
There's a large degree of variation on forecasted snow amounts for Tues/Wed.

For town level at Arabba:

Bergfex: 2cm
ARPAV: 15cm
Snow-forecast: 33cm
Wepowder: 50cm

Crossed posts above.

There is a lot of moisture associated with the developing Mediterranean Low that is forecast to affect the Dolomites late on Tuesday and for most of Wednesday, but I think the issue is whether it has the energy to push that moisture deep into this sector of the mountains.

I'd go with ARPAV. When they put a figure on it they're usually pretty accurate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morris at wePowder hints at the uncertainty of the figures generated in the forecasts when he says 'but it is still a good 48 hours and practice has taught us that nothing is as fickle as a storm in the Mediterranean.'
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My worries are starting to build as I'm due out on the 24th. Will there be any snow on the ground or just slush because there's a heat wave between now and then. Or will there be too much snow for us to get there. Or will it be just white outs the whole time or pi$$ing with rain from the 24th onwards. I can hardly cope.
I might have to sit in a darkened room with no internet for the next 2 1/2 weeks.
ski holidays
@FrequentFaller, IIWY I'd wait until the 22nd and then look at the forecast. Anything can happen in the mountains and it usually does snowHead
latest report
Alta Badia reports 5 cm this morning, it seems not much more than a dusting elsewhere, judging by the Plan de Gralba tables! snowHead

Further South in Lavarone they got 20cm, so the issue was how much energy the storm has and how far into the mountains the moisture is reaching.

ARPAV area saying more snow in the Venetian Pre-Alps in the course of today, but it doesn't look like the cloud will produce much more further North.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 7-02-18 10:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Looking further ahead there isn't a consensus, but after a fairly cold & cloudy week, it should brighten up at the weekend, then a chance of snow Mon/Tues next week.
snow report
Offering support to the above, today's 06Z GFS animations show snow spilling over from the North on Mon night & during Tuesday, not a brilliant direction for a dump, but maybe enough to freshen up again:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2 (these will keep updating)
ski holidays
Luigi, Bergfex also suggesting a few cm/s next Mon/Tue in the Grödnertal/Gardena. Ties in too with the forecast from the Province of Bozen site, which I find to be usually very close to the mark for the South Tirol area, albeit that it does not extend beyond 5 days.
http://wetter.provinz.bz.it/suedtirolwetter.asp
latest report
pjd wrote:
Luigi, Bergfex also suggesting a few cm/s next Mon/Tue in the Grödnertal/Gardena. Ties in too with the forecast from the Province of Bozen site, which I find to be usually very close to the mark for the South Tirol area, albeit that it does not extend beyond 5 days.
http://wetter.provinz.bz.it/suedtirolwetter.asp

The snow seems to have slipped off that forecast now. Bergfex based on ECM still has 18cm in Selva on for Mon/Tues. 00Z GFS has a light snowfall for Monday too.

Meanwhile the cloud is breaking up now, a fair bit of winter sunshine over the weekend.
snow report
06Z GFS animations are showing an Genoa Low forming next Thurs with what looks like a good NE track to benefit the Dolomites next Fri 16th, something else to keep an eye on! snowHead

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=2
snow report
@luigi, 12z GFS lowers expectations of this but the forecast for Thu and Fri looks a rather up in air still. Up until then and save for a dull day on Monday with maybe a bit of snow, it looks a pretty good half term week coming up - sunnyish and cold 🙂
ski holidays
So this is what it currently looks like for half-term week...a bright cold weekend, a chance of snow passing over from the North on Monday, brighter again on Tues, then a mixture of cloud and sun and a bit milder towards the end of the week.
ski holidays
Pretty mild in Bozen at the moment. Enjoying a nice curry at the only Indian restaurant in the South Tirol!
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
Pretty mild in Bozen at the moment. Enjoying a nice curry at the only Indian restaurant in the South Tirol!

It's a balmy +11C in Bolzano this afternoon in the sunshine...but was -7.6C at Col d'Aura weather station at 2050m above Campitello at 13:00...amazing what that difference in altitude does!!
snow report
pjd wrote:
Enjoying a nice curry at the only Indian restaurant in the South Tirol!

Did they have Speck Vindaloo & Knodel Bhajis? Laughing
snow conditions
Anyone skiing? What are the pistes like ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Anyone skiing? What are the pistes like ?

I was skiing the Sella Ronda yesterday. All in good nick, especially off the beaten track. Hard packed in general.
snow conditions
Skied today around Corvara. The pistes are in really good condition and no sign of any ice. Even the few steepish bits on blues that sometimes get scraped and cut up in the afternoon by nervous skiers were in much better condition than they have been the last couple of years.

Today was almost wall to wall sunshine with a short spell of clouds early afternoon. The forcecast for tomorrow looks like a full day of snow with wind picking up so that’s going to be a totally different experience. Can’t complain though because the rest of the week looks OK and what the hell, I’m skiing!
latest report
Due a freshen-up tomorrow, anything between 2-15cm according to ARPAV for the Venetian Dolomites. Something at the upper end of that would make a difference to hard-packed pistes.
snow report
We had about 10cm of snow overnight in Corvara and then only a little dusting for the rest of the day. Pistes should be in pretty good condition for the rest of the week which is now looking sunny in the forecasts.

“Little but often” is what the instructors are saying about the snow and it seems to be working well for them after a good start to the season.
snow conditions
@olderscot, about the same (5-10cm) in Seiseralm.
snow report
Headed over to Ciampac yesterday (ski'd down to Canazei and got the bus to Alba, was fine) and found excellent snow. Lovely pistes, the black back down to Alba is wonderful rollercoaster of a run and off the sides up in the bowl was all boot-deep barely-tracked powder! Seemed like they'd had a bit more snow over there. A great day!
snow report
What a season they are having. Day after day of 100% lifts and runs open and predominantly sunny days. Looks very busy on the webcams.

Would love to know how their numbers compare with previous seasons and what affect the good snow elsewhere in the alps is having on that.
ski holidays
We're leaving early Sat. a.m. for Selva, getting very excited. @Peter S, am expecting large crowds around Val Gardena, but who knows?

Next week looked very cold at first but now see that daily highs are forecast to be solidly above zero. Not much precipitation but the Dolomites have delivered this year so far...
snow report
Maybe 10 min queues in the morning on the Sellaronda lifts? Otherwise hardly any queueing. Next week will be comparatively empty! Another awesome day of sunshine, snow and food!
ski holidays
will be there on Saturday:-)
latest report
24th for me. Champing at the bit.
latest report
This string really works better with photos added!

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy